+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Customers Finding Scuffs on Their Unpackaged iPhone 5 Units

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by wmtj Folks, please calm down. I don't know what your expectation is however you must know that this is from racking the parts for anodizing. This is
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wmtj View Post
    Folks, please calm down. I don't know what your expectation is however you must know that this is from racking the parts for anodizing. This is a common occurance when you are getting the first runs on a product, which you have in terms for the aluminium back-shell. It may even be something you see throughout this entire product cycle ( As long as they are anodizing). It doesn't harm functionality and they have to have a standard as to what they can let through in terms of defect depending on the process. While it's not pretty it is an expected outcome of having to hold the parts for the anodize process ("racking") Another thing to consider is this coating provides insulation for electrical components. It is highly unlikely that you will see this on the inside of the phone. It is more important to have the inside surface coated completely than the out surface in this application. I could live with this. I'm sorry that you can not. I wouldn't expect it to be rectified with anything else but a Sharpie.
    This is clearly not from racking. No one with an ounce of process sense would select an outer appearance surface as the electrical contact point for a rack; no less the micro fine edge I see in the photos. A part like this would be racked with rack contact on the inside so no racking marks appear on the outside. The fact that most of the defects are on the fine edge indicate they were physically damaged after processing.

Anodization is a pretty poor selection for a durable finish on an item that's going to live in an environment with sharp edged items like coins and keys. It's a very hard finish, however it's also very thin. Like the crust on a pie, it's harder than what lies underneath but easy to break through.

Thanks
    Don't u guys remember the iPhone 4 antenna problem and how apple pretty much ****** every one that got one by giving bumpers for like 3 month.
    I think that Apple is the only American company that don't do no recall.

Thanks

Yeah my phone also has a tiny scuff. Since I purchased mine through AT&T I went to Apple and they told me to go back to AT&T for a new phone. I went there and they told me it will be weeks before they can ship me a new one. In addition, the AT&T store manager advised that I file a claim through FedEx I looked at him just like the idiot that he was. The scuff wasn't caused by FedEx poor handling it came from China that way. I was not happy at all I want to scuff my phone no one else! I'm going to try another location.

Green Apple
    Thanks

****!!!!!!!!just knowing theres two marks is annoying.
    i wish there was an opposite of this. cause i totally feel like that.
    meh, sharpie. good idea. i might try it. gotta see if the shades are the same.

Thanks

Now that's a sore eyes to see...Well that's a very common problem with Anodized Paint, they get Scratch and Color Fades EASILY! Better take them back to the Apple store for a replacement for those who got this scuff problem...
    Last edited by MAYORLIM; 09-23-2012 at 12:50 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,438 Times in 685 Posts

The edges on my wife's white model scratch with almost no use. It is clear the edges are not going to hold up. Barley noticeable on the white unless the light hits just right but on the Black model this will be much more noticeable.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sorry to hear about this. At least you guys have your phone. Mines got stolen by UPS. Tracking said it was delivery and sign by some one that don't even live there.

Green Apple
    Thanks

what do i do if i ordered mine? i made an appointment at my local apple store, but i ordered mine meh. and can people post here about replacing their phones.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mn30mn View Post
    Sorry to hear about this. At least you guys have your phone. Mines got stolen by UPS. Tracking said it was delivery and sign by some one that don't even live there.
    That sucks bigtime dude. The person that got your Iphone would be so lucky to have one for free. Lets hope he doesnt get away with it and cops find them soon. And hopefully you get another one coz it should be covered with insurance right?
    Iphone 4S - T-Mobile Prepaid Plan No Contract

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nealh View Post
    The edges on my wife's white model scratch with almost no use. It is clear the edges are not going to hold up. Barley noticeable on the white unless the light hits just right but on the Black model this will be much more noticeable.
    My white 16g has the two gashes on the top edge too. Brand new out of the box. I called the Verizon store and they took my name down and notated my account. When another one comes in, I'm going to exchange mine out. Nice folks at Verizon where I got it.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,057 Times in 1,696 Posts

What happened to quality control? Every phone I have seen on display has ding or chips in it. I have dozens of anodized fittings on my bike motor and never have had any issues with the finish thinning out or chipping and they have thousands of miles on them.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HachiRoku View Post
    That sucks bigtime dude. The person that got your Iphone would be so lucky to have one for free. Lets hope he doesnt get away with it and cops find them soon. And hopefully you get another one coz it should be covered with insurance right?
    I contacted Apple They said they will send me
    Another one. I then ask who is going ship the phone. They said
    UPS again and I ask if I can pay extra for Fed Ex they
    said they can't do that. I then said cancel
    my order. Now the prob is I can't go pick one up at the
    Store until my cell eligibility has been reset. I have been
    Waiting since Satuday. The thing
    that sucks is that my local Apple store still had phones last
    Night. And I can't pick one up. Thanks UPS for ruining my
    Weekend.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well i called apple today. And they will send me a new one. Yay. I've seen somewhere that you have to send them pictures but nope they just reconfirm shipping information and blah blah.

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, I have a white phone and just noticed today that on the right side near the sim card the metal band is scratched slightly. I have not had my phone anywhere but on my desk as I had only begun to use it yesterday. It's upsetting as I always have bad luck with phones one way or the other.

Since I ordered from Apple I assume I should call them for a replacement, or should I call AT&T? I will definitely do this in the morning.

iPhone? More like MyPhone RoloDiva13's Avatar
    Thanks
    Add me to the list. I even inspected my phone - or at least THOUGHT I had - right out of the box but I didn't know about these scuffs until Saturday. I looked it over again but still managed to miss a small ding on the lower right corner of the white phone's aluminum band (a coworker and I decided to look over each other's phones to see if we had any scuffs). I'm debating whether or not to exchange it as there is nothing else wrong. I just don't want any foolishness from Apple down the road if I needed to make a warranty claim and they see this mark and try to pin on me as physical damage...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by domenicp View Post
    Apple's calling card is its attention to detail. At least it was for Steve Jobs. You can bet he'd be on this like a dog on a bone.
    Nah he'd just tell us once again we were all holding it wrong. Then he'd smack his head and do some FML spiel because we just too primitive to hold something so elegant.

Thanks

I will have a replacement phone sent to me by Apple and send my current one back when I get the new one. Let's just hope there aren't any issues this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by RoloDiva13 View Post
    I'm debating whether or not to exchange it as there is nothing else wrong. I just don't want any foolishness from Apple down the road if I needed to make a warranty claim and they see this mark and try to pin on me as physical damage...
    I would have it replaced ASAP. I'm a bit OCD about these things, and since it's brand new you're better off getting a "flawless" phone rather than a damaged one from the manufacturer in case you need to make an exchange down the road.
    Last edited by evolution83; 09-25-2012 at 06:31 PM.

EVO
    Thanks

I went through 5 replacements at 3 different apple stores before I got one that was 95% good

I happily accepted this last one, it was the best out of the 6 iphone 5's I had in my hand

Thanks

I hope I only have to do this ONCE. If not I will keep returning LOL.

What was the other 5% that was bad?

My current phone is perfectly fine except the super tiny scratch. It's not a big deal but I want no defects on a new product. If I would have done it, different story.

EVO
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evolution83 View Post
    I hope I only have to do this ONCE. If not I will keep returning LOL.

What was the other 5% that was bad?

My current phone is perfectly fine except the super tiny scratch. It's not a big deal but I want no defects on a new product. If I would have done it, different story.
    there is a small blemish on the sim card tray that you can only see at an angle of the light

yes I like to microscopically inspect everything I buy new