+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Customers Finding Scuffs on Their Unpackaged iPhone 5 Units

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Well just phoned O2 (my provider) who were a complete crock of ****. They said I can return the phone today but due to availability it could be 3-4 weeks
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

Well just phoned O2 (my provider) who were a complete crock of ****.

They said I can return the phone today but due to availability it could be 3-4 weeks before my new one arrives. This was after being on hold for 3mins.

He did say that if I put it in a case it will be ok cause I won't be able to see it. Thanks for that buddy. Good job!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default You have to be kidding me....
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    That is just unacceptable. One of the good things about most droids is that they are mostly plastic and not prone to these scratches..of course they are not as sleek and sexy but they are not all scratched up either :] Apple really needs to find a material that lasts. Not only looks good but is practical for the consumer. Scratches out of the box?? Seriously?? Although..most of us will have either a case or bumper on our phones, so its not really that big a deal or is it?
    Just watch this video, then tell us how much better those "other" phones are built. **SMH**
    Who will win iPhone 5 vs Galaxy S3 drop test? | Press on Your Side

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Folks, please calm down. I don't know what your expectation is however you must know that this is from racking the parts for anodizing. This is a common occurance when you are getting the first runs on a product, which you have in terms for the aluminium back-shell. It may even be something you see throughout this entire product cycle ( As long as they are anodizing). It doesn't harm functionality and they have to have a standard as to what they can let through in terms of defect depending on the process. While it's not pretty it is an expected outcome of having to hold the parts for the anodize process ("racking") Another thing to consider is this coating provides insulation for electrical components. It is highly unlikely that you will see this on the inside of the phone. It is more important to have the inside surface coated completely than the out surface in this application. I could live with this. I'm sorry that you can not. I wouldn't expect it to be rectified with anything else but a Sharpie.

*T*
    Thanks

Oh please...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Me too. Search @hortense323 on twitter to see a pic. There is one noticeable nick, and two other slight marks on the body. I expect to get a free case for it, or some kind of accessory for free.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Apple's calling card is its attention to detail. At least it was for Steve Jobs. You can bet he'd be on this like a dog on a bone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I can see Apple saying "you're taking it out of the case wrong."

Green Apple
    Thanks

YUP!!!!!! This happened to me both for the iPhone 4s and now the iphone 5. I called verizon support and they told me they would send me out a new iphone and i can send back this one.

Its the little white spec by my fingers. Yes its small, but when I pay $800 bucks, i expect there to be NO SCRATCHES!

I should also mention that MINE came out of the box like this. I did not scratch it or even do anything to it. I always inspect my products i buy to make sure theres nothing wrong with it, and i do so RIGHT when i take it out of the box.
    Last edited by CsSxPlay3r; 09-22-2012 at 09:47 AM.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 808 Posts

I haven't gotten my iPhone 5 unit yet, but if I have scuffs I'm not going to be happy.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I bought mine at an AT&T store the morning it came out. I got the white 64Gig. I noticed the chrome edge had 3 dings on the side, and 2 on the bottom. I showed it to the store manager before they even finished putting my phone number on there and they swapped it out immediately. If they did this at an AT&T store, pretty sure an Apple store will do the same. I guess that is one good thing about buying it at the store rather than online.

EVO
    Thanks

very disappointed in how apple chose to anodized the antenna housing, went through 2 exchanges today

2nd one wasnt that bad...

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,057 Times in 1,696 Posts

They should have left the band and back plate raw stainless. I do like the LTE speed and it opens apps very fast but the fact is it must be completely covered in order to keep it looking decent. In a week or so after all the people have handled their new phones like their previous ones you are going to see an outraged public.

Thanks

I just posted this on MacRumors, so I think it should be here as well:

Not sure if this has been seen by many yet, but it's being retweeted a lot on twitter this evening (8PM GMT)

Apple iPhone 5 #Scuffgate continues: Man whisked away by Apple store employees | SiliconBeat

Quite interesting if you ask me!

For those of you who cant be bothered to click the link, to summarise:

A journalist/videographer witnessed a member of the public (who had a scuffed device), being "whisked" into an Apple store by employees after complaining about scuffs. They seemingly did NOT want the situation being filmed/photographed (makes sense I guess), hence the aforementioned 'whisk'. Seems to be an ongoing story! (Wish Apple would hurry up and make an official statement, even if it does mean weeks/months of replacing affected devices with higher grade finishes - Would certainly calm me down, and I havent even received my first i5 yet!)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I didn't realize I had that on mine until I saw this posting. I spent all Friday playing with it and didn't realize I had a small nick on the top edge, which seems to be the most prone area apparently. I just scheduled a Monday time to come into the Apple store and see what I can do.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Mine had some nicks in it as well. Took it to the Apple store today and after they looked at it, he took my info/phone# and said they would give me a completely new phone (at least when they get new ones in a week). He also says it has been a rare occurrence but they are aware of the problem. Interestingly I decided to look at the floor models and of all the phones I looked at, I only saw one other one with a ding in the bezel, which kinda surprised me with all the people looking at them. So, while I do believe this is a problem for some people, I don't believe it is wide spread.

If it is something that bothers you, schedule a genius bar appt. ASAP, so they can be made aware of your problem! Even if they don't have and replacements for you, they will get you a new phone. If you don't live close to an Apple store then call customer care asap.

One other thing to consider is for those that have never added applecare+ this is probably the best time to add it to a new phone, because it WILL (according to the rep) cover worn off anodized aluminum! Not to mention that this is NOT the type of screen that is going to keep working if you drop and crack it. Just food for thought!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I swear the Apple fanboys on this forum will defend everything Apple. If this was a problem with the S3 everyone would be laughing. Since it's a problem with the iPhone 5 they are saying sh*t happens, it's anodized, give Apple a break. if someone pays a premium for a phone we expect premium quality. There was another post on the forum where someone said they made a 2in scratch just with their fingernail. This is not a special case, this is bad quality control, they wanna go the cheap way and spray paint it black so cost is ~$200 per phone and mark them to sell for $650. Really this is totally unacceptable.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 09-22-2012 at 07:10 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrrom92 View Post
    My iPhone 5 is picking up finger prints like crazy, now that's a whole nother issue. My 4/4S was never like this.
    Wash your hands...

iPhone? More like MyPhone RoloDiva13's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhudson View Post
    meh, they better. well its too late now to take pictures its been long since i unboxed it.
    but im not a happy camper. LTE isnt working so well even though its listed. meh and now this. they better allow me to exchange my iphone for another.

but i preordered mine. so i dont know how this will work.
    OT: Hey, what's up with your LTE? I noticed from the word go that the iP5's LTE is constantly dropping off down to 4G on AT&T when my LTE iPad keeps a consistent signal, even sitting right beside the iPhone 5...I was thinking it was my imagination...

Banned
    Thanks

So far on apple's shinny new phone we have the following issues;

- maps not working
    - siri not working on day one
    - scratches and scuffs on the phones
    - passbook app cannot sync to iTunes
    - yellowish tint on display
    - incompatibility with O2s or Vodafone's 4G network
    - still cannot do simultaneous voice and data on Verizon and Sprint
    - incompatible with Sprints' HD voice
    - incompatible with ALL of your accessories

Oh, and the support forums are overloaded with complaints and its down right now (8:50pm EST 9.22.2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I had this on 2 sides of the phone. They were not simply scratches as if the paint came off, but rather nicks as through it were dropped. You can only imagine how pissed I was. Had to drive to the apple store, and kill 2 hours dealing with that BS. They replaced it though, but still....

Mine:

Last edited by yomike007; 09-22-2012 at 06:56 PM.