+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon iPhone 5 Unlocked and Ready for GSM Networks Right From the Factory

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Verizon iPhone 5 Unlocked and Ready for Other GSM Networks Right From the Factory

Shortly after the iPhone 5 hit store shelves across the United States on Friday, it was discovered that the CDMA Verizon version of the device can be used on AT&T and T-Mobileís networks with a simple GSM micro SIM card medication. According to the folks over at iDownloadBlog, they were able to trim down and install a micro SIM card into the new Verizon iPhone 5, which was purchased under contract, and connect to AT&Tís HSPA+ ď4GĒ network.

A Verizon representative confirmed the handset is indeed unlocked, meaning it can use SIM cards from other carriers even under contract. This is good news for those who travel often and own a CDMA Verizon iPhone 5 as they wonít need to hop onto international GSM networks from time to time.

The installation of the modification isnít elegant, where in this particular case a paper clip and a piece of tape was used to hold the card in place rather than the supplied tray, but AT&T and T-Mobile nano-SIMs are likely to have a better fit. For those of you who didnít know, Apple is implementing new nano-SIM cards with the iPhone 5, which bring a 40% reduction in size compared to last-generation micro SIM cards. The ability to be unlocked on GSM networks though is a feature I think far more important to consumers than how the card is held into place, so Verizon users can rejoice!

Source: iDownloadBlog

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Green Apple
    Thanks

apple officially is best for this, no other smart phone is capable of reverse network.. iphone5 best phone to date..

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n0id View Post
    apple officially is best for this, no other smart phone is capable of reverse network.. iphone5 best phone to date..
    Now I love my iphone 5 but blind fanboyish cretins like yourself, going around making completely retarded comments like this, gives a bad image to the rest of us.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paul09 View Post
    Now I love my iphone 5 but blind fanboyish cretins like yourself, going around making completely retarded comments like this, gives a bad image to the rest of us.
    And so do these......

EPIC FAIL

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

nice!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n0id View Post
    Actually, part of the Agreement between VZW and the gov for them to get their LTE spectrum was to sell phone unlocked. Yes, that means LTE phones from now on will be unlocked.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

He'll I really feel sorry for you guys over in Yankee land. Here down under we don't have this problem and never have really, if you want an unlocked iPhone just buy it from apple and if you get a locked one from a carrier just ring them and the will unlock it even if its still in contract and its been like that since 3G/3GS days

My iPhone is a Part of Me Chula's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder if someone can confirm the same for the Sprint iPhone 5 I'm crossing my fingers

Thanks

That's awesome! Only drawback to CDMA is no simultaneous voice/data..other than that its all good. Having this option is a great improvement for this phone and a great deal for the consumer win win.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Donnutt's Avatar
    Thanks

So does that mean AT&T phones can be used on other LTE networks?
    Does LTE use a SIM card?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Better off to buy Verizon unlock phone then?

My iPhone is a Part of Me mlee19841's Avatar
    Thanks

Posted this yesterday. Nice to know thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dopeyrat View Post
    He'll I really feel sorry for you guys over in Yankee land. Here down under we don't have this problem and never have really, if you want an unlocked iPhone just buy it from apple and if you get a locked one from a carrier just ring them and the will unlock it even if its still in contract and its been like that since 3G/3GS days
    'Yankee Land'
    Ahahahahahahahhaa Legend!