+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Import Media Files to Your Media Libraries With 'Bridge'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 767 Posts

Default Import Media Files to Your Media Libraries With 'Bridge'

If you’ve ever needed an easy way to import third party media files to your Music application, then check out this new application called Bridge by iOS developer Jonas Gessner. The application looks as good as it works and it's very convenient if you don't want to use iTunes to get music on your iOS device. Bridge is fully compatible with podcasts, ringtones, music, and videos.

Paired with Dropbox and iFile, Bridge is going to be your best friend if you love music and videos. This combination will allow you to move media files from your computer to your iOS device without the assistance of iTunes. Bridge can then be used to move these media files to your iOS device’s native media applications such as Music and Videos.

The first thing you notice is the gorgeous application icon (by Surenix), followed by a gorgeous splash screen. Then you end up in the application itself, which is separated into three tabs – home, files, and download. The home tab offers instructions and a welcome screen, the files tab offers a window into your iOS device’s file system, and the download tab allows you to input a URL to download a media file from.

Whenever you import media files using Bridge, you will be given the ability to set its own album artwork, title, artist, album, and genre. The information you input here will be the information you see from the Music application when you are listening to music. When possible, Bridge will automatically read and auto-fill this information from tracks that have it included in the id3 tags, but you can still edit it if you want to. Also notice that Bridge has a complimentary preview bar that allows you to listen to the media file before it is imported.

If you go into the Files tab, you will be viewing your iOS device's file system. This is where using Dropbox and iFile come in handy. You can drag your music into your iPhone’s file system through Dropbox and iFile and then import it directly into your Music application (works for other media types too).

Alternatively, you can use links to download audio or video and import it to your iOS device. You can input the URL to the file you want to download and Bridge will download it. Once downloaded, you will be able to import it to your media library. It goes through the same basic process as using files from the file system and then you will get a notification when it finishes:

Now that the music file used in the screenshots above has been imported, we can go into our Music application and find the song that we just imported to our music library sitting there and ready to play at any time just like it had been synced from iTunes:

For podcasts, you will be able to find them in the Podcasts application. For movies, you should look in the Videos application. For ringtones, you will find them in the Settings application where you select the ringtones and text tones you want to hear when you get notifications.

Bridge also supports media anywhere the “Open In…” function can be used, such as in the Mail application and in Mobile Safari. This makes it simple to import media that you e-mail to yourself or to import media that you have stored on an online backup service with a Web page GUI.

In the instructions, Jonas warns that Podcasts are the only media type that will be able to sync to and from your computer and iOS device through iTunes when imported with Bridge. This means if you transfer media such as music to your iOS device with Bridge, you won’t be able to sync it to your computer. If you attempt to sync it, nothing will happen and the music will stay on the device and not transfer to the computer, so luckily it won’t be erased form the iOS device.

Bridge is certainly polished and it makes a powerful tool for anyone with a deep hate for iTunes. It’s also useful for the random media file that you may come across when you’re away from home and cannot use iTunes to sync it. You can find it right now in the BigBoss repository for only $1.99!

Name: Bridge
    Price: $1.99
    Version: 1.0.1
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: Jonas Gessner
    Editor's Rating:  5/5

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,455 Times in 6,381 Posts

Awesome tweak! Can't wait to test drive it!
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

In other words: no improvement (music-wise) over the built-in capabilities of mewseek... So, still nothing that can add your downloaded songs to iTunes Match.

King Kong ain't got nothing on me! King_O_Hill's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,455 Times in 6,381 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ohthatguyagain View Post
    In other words: no improvement (music-wise) over the built-in capabilities of mewseek... So, still nothing that can add your downloaded songs to iTunes Match.
    Mewseek = $15.00
    Bridge = $2.00

Installation of mewseek on all your I devices with purchase? Not possible! Unless you pay for each device!?!? (Mewseek support? Non existent! I tried to buy a multidevice license for a reduced fee for 10 devices, they never even got back to me!)

Installation of bridge on all your idevices? Heck yah! No additional cost

iTunes Match? Who cares!
    Last edited by King_O_Hill; 09-21-2012 at 09:51 PM.
    Widget-Weather App Now Available! Also with MyLocation Support!
    Check out the thread here - Widget-Weather
    To install the Widget-Weather app, just go to Cydia and install. This will also remove MyLocation, as it is built in!
    Want to protect your JailBreak! Add this repo http://cydia.myrepospace.com/iLEXiNFO/ & Install "iLEX R.A.T."
    It will allow you to bring your phone back to a fresh jailbroken state!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I generally use pwntunes, but this looks very promising. Trying it now!

Upon 1st use the only thing that CERTAINLY needs to be added is a track number option. I can live without bulk uploading, thought it would be very nice to have.

Nice app, looking forward to improvements.
    Last edited by trek-life; 09-21-2012 at 11:19 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yeah, the developer is a very active member of cydia. He updated the tweak regularly and does not play tricks with the prices. Respect.

Green Apple
    Thanks

a definite buy for me hands down

Thanks

It is a pretty cool application .

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

One of the best tweaks

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

But what happens after you've imported a media file and you sync with iTunes? Will you lose the file, or will it get transferred from your iDevice to your Media Library on your computer? If it did that, I'd be sold.

Thanks

Wow..i hope it goes on sale for $0..haha! I really want to try it but don't want to pay the current rate.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HovikGas View Post
    But what happens after you've imported a media file and you sync with iTunes? Will you lose the file, or will it get transferred from your iDevice to your Media Library on your computer? If it did that, I'd be sold.
    It does absolutely nothing. It doesn't get transferred to the computer, but it doesn't get deleted from the device either.

The only media files that will transfer to a computer are podcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    Wow..i hope it goes on sale for $0..haha! I really want to try it but don't want to pay the current rate.
    If you need an application that can import any media file to your iOS media libraries, this application is the cream of the crop.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

too bad I can't transfer the files saved to my computer, on the other hand...For testing purpose only.... "Bridge" works great with "Pandora Downloader", "protube", and safari

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gkiv View Post
    too bad I can't transfer the files saved to my computer, on the other hand...For testing purpose only.... "Bridge" works great with "Pandora Downloader", "protube", and safari
    Hi, if you have Gremlin and use the iFile "Add to iPod library" feature, your songs to get transferred to your computer iTunes library when you sync.

Thanks

I downloaded this tweak its nice but wenever i download a somg amd import it to my media library i get 2 of the samw song it gets duplicated and its annoying me and i cnt evn delete the one tht is duplicated.. i tried but idk wat to do any idea plz help

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Haysann View Post
    I downloaded this tweak its nice but wenever i download a somg amd import it to my media library i get 2 of the samw song it gets duplicated and its annoying me and i cnt evn delete the one tht is duplicated.. i tried but idk wat to do any idea plz help
    To delete music that you have imported from bridge to your music just go too settings>general>usage>music>....and then you can delete them from there..