+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 5 Attracting Twice The Crowds Observed for iPhone 4S Release

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default iPhone 5 Attracting Twice The Crowds Observed for iPhone 4S Release

According to a quickly-produced survey from Piper Jaffray analyst and resident Apple watcher Gene Munster, lines outside of Apple stores on the day of the iPhone 5 launch are about 83% longer than the lines observed at the launch of Apple's iPhone 4S.

Of course, such lines are to be anticipated in response to Monday's news that Apple sold two million iPhone 5s last weekend. That was twice as many devices than were sold upon the release of Apple's iPhone 4S in October 2011.

Munster says the heavier store traffic gives him confidence in his estimate that "Apple could sell eight million iPhone 5’s through this weekend." Not surprisingly, shares of AAPL are moving once again toward all-time highs, now trading well above $700 a share. Some analysts expect the stock to inch closer to $800 before year's end.

Sales of the new iPhone have proven so strong that Apple’s website now states than new iPhone 5 orders may not be received for upwards of four weeks as of this writing.

Source: New York Times

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I feel like a lot of this might be fabricated to hype up apple.. I was at the mall today and they had a line set up of ropes winding back and forth and it was maybe only half full.. I remember being there when the 4s was out and there was more people then the line could hold

Livin the iPhone Life Sniper488's Avatar
    Thanks

Yea, AT&T opened at 8AM today and I got their at 8:10 thinking there's no way I'm getting a phone, the line's going to be crazy. 10 people in line, I was able to get an iPhone with absolutely no hassle.
    And last year the AT&T worker said people were in line when they were locking the doors the night before the 4S came out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThomson View Post
    I feel like a lot of this might be fabricated to hype up apple.. I was at the mall today and they had a line set up of ropes winding back and forth and it was maybe only half full.. I remember being there when the 4s was out and there was more people then the line could hold
    I'm pissed at apple cause I ordered mine 1 hour into pre orders and got the "will ship in two weeks" notice, but somehow these yuppys that didn't even camp out will have one before me... I think apple did the "push to two weeks" crap so the people would just go wait in line, and lines would look longer, and in turn the media would visualize more hype around the release... it's all BS screw you apple. For the first time since I bought the first gen iPhone I am freaking pissed at apple!!! I will never buy a droid or start talking about some Samsung garbage but apple get you crap together this is just disappointing!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I joined the queue at apple regents street at 6 this morning 8hrs later we got served, they sold out there stock of 2000 phones in one day

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soldoutluck View Post
    I'm pissed at apple cause I ordered mine 1 hour into pre orders and got the "will ship in two weeks" notice, but somehow these yuppys that didn't even camp out will have one before me... I think apple did the "push to two weeks" crap so the people would just go wait in line, and lines would look longer, and in turn the media would visualize more hype around the release... it's all BS screw you apple. For the first time since I bought the first gen iPhone I am freaking pissed at apple!!! I will never buy a droid or start talking about some Samsung garbage but apple get you crap together this is just disappointing!
    Interesting thought to make the lines longer. Truth be told I've always just walked into an att store on launch day and have never seen any lines. Not a huge city but 150,000 plus 50,000 students

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I know it is fabricated.
    AT&T lost my order so I have to buy it at the stores.

Went by Apple Store and there was not much of a line, but I do not want to wait so went to the local AT&T.
    Got to AT&T at 9AM when they opened saw a line but it was short, though they ran out before I got mine but I was only one of 3 people that was out of luck. Went to another AT&T by now it is 9:30AM the rep says if anyone was not able to get theirs (can't upgrade or what ever) I would be the first person, and he also mentioned that the store only got 60 iPhone 5. That is less than 1/2 of what they received with the 4S, with less inventory and people able to get in line 30 min after store opened...
    That is 3 different locations that barely ran out, no camping needed.

Yeah I would say Apple over hyped this release.
    Last edited by unison999; 09-21-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Thanks

I wish I could go directly to ATT but I have a gift card to apple for almost half the value of the phone so no sense in wasting it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThomson View Post
    Im sure it is fabricated and some were over exagerated, I am from Japan and I saw the video of people lining up for iphone5 but the truth that line of people was a BUS stop and it just happened that a softbank outlet was near, what I noticed is that aftet the unveiling of ip5 a lot of people rushed to get sg3 and now sg3 here in JP is currently out of stock

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

all those suckers... walked into walmart with my preorder deposit card at 8am and walked out a 8:15 i was the first one there and no buddy showed up when i was there. and im in sacramento not some small hole in the wall town... it was by far the easiest first day purchase of new iphone i have got and i have bought all models first day

iPhone? More like MyPhone starkall's Avatar
    Thanks

It's so stupid, all the apps suck on the iPhone 5. It leaves black bars on the top and bottom. The apps don't even fit to screen. What's the point of a bigger screen?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,752 Times in 890 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    It's so stupid, all the apps suck on the iPhone 5. It leaves black bars on the top and bottom. The apps don't even fit to screen. What's the point of a bigger screen?
    They all said the same when the retina screen first came out. They will be updated in time.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Daniel212's Avatar
    Thanks

You clearly haven't been up to date with the ip5

iPhone? More like MyPhone starkall's Avatar
    Thanks

I truly don't notice a huge diff between the i5 and my 4s :-(

My iPhone is a Part of Me Daniel212's Avatar
    Thanks

I truly don't notice a huge diff between the i5 and my 4s :-(
    To me I see a difference inside and the screen, I love the design of the ip4 and ip5, your talking about upgraded specs, and since iOS is simply and quick, the upgraded specs is like a boost, and I can't wait for a jailbreak to come out, running themes and tweaks with no lag since the ip5 has an A6 processor and 1 gb ram,

iPhone? More like MyPhone TT KH's Avatar
    Thanks
    I was in line for 4 hrs in Seattle, maybe next time I'm gonna try walmart, bestbuy or at&t instead.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TT KH View Post
    I was in line for 4 hrs in Seattle, maybe next time I'm gonna try walmart, bestbuy or at&t instead.
    I went into an AT&T store in NC at 2:00pm and no wait. I looked at the ip5 and turned around and walked back out. It seems well made, but taller screen or not I'm not buying a faster scroll bar. I wasn"t impressed. Two years from the 3g and blah. They've lost it with this one. I'm getting something with a screen size that makes sense and without all the control of big brother apple.

We're all different, with different needs/expectations but I see hype and no more. With the seeming lack of interest that I witnessed at AT&T, I can't believe I'm the only one, I went over the Verizon store and same story.
    Last edited by crunchingnumbers; 09-21-2012 at 03:13 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Pissed bc I placed my pre-order and it's still showing as processing (14-21 Day Delivery time I suppose). I go into the local At&t store at lunch time and they have 1 64GB Black available. They tell me I can't cancel my pre-order and purchase the one in store...HOW MESSED UP IS THAT! Oh well I didn't argure, perhaps I should have...guess I'll get my phone in 2-3 weeks. HA smart move Apple...hate you At&t.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Most all the people you see in the picture stand in long line,they just only buy it and after that put on craigslist or ebay to resale it to make money.

Thanks

Kind of funny that there's a huge need and I called an AT&T store at noon they still had black thirty-two gigs still in stock.

I should call again for fun.