+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NYPD Looking to Crack Down on iPhone 5 Theft

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
With the iPhone 5 now reaching customers on the first day of availability, the New York Police Department has a large presence today at Apple's retail locations in New York
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default NYPD Looking to Crack Down on iPhone 5 Theft

With the iPhone 5 now reaching customers on the first day of availability, the New York Police Department has a large presence today at Apple's retail locations in New York for the purpose of helping new iPhone 5 owners register their freshly-purchased device.

The goal, naturally, is to help cut down on iPhone 5 theft. Dubbed the "Anti-Apple Picking Campaign," the NYPD is enthusiastically backing this free service which makes every iPhone registered capable of being traced by its serial number (which is stored in a database along with the device owner's name, phone number, and other pertinent user data.

"The theft of Apple phones and other hand-held devices drove the spike in robberies and larceny this year," says Police Commissioner Ray Kelly. "Individuals alert to their surroundings are less likely to become victims, and Operation ID will help those whose property is lost or stolen to get it back."

Members of the public are invited to bring their portable electronic devices to NYPD personnel stationed at any Apple retail store, and the other locations, to register their devices. Such valuables may also be registered at any time through the crime prevention officer at any police station.
    The NYPD says they even have officers using iPhones with iCloud to help theft victims find their phones.

According to details contained in today's announcement, the NYPD will be at the city's Apple Stores for the time being, in addition to "select Verizon and AT&T locations."

Source: The Gothamist

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hopefully this will make theft of iDevices go down. Does anyone know when we want to register the valuables would we need to show proof of purchase?

Green Apple
    Thanks

With all the images out there of a true NYPD vehicle, you would think the writer of this article would have done just a bit more work to get that image.
    Fail.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Illmatic636 View Post
    With all the images out there of a true NYPD vehicle, you would think the writer of this article would have done just a bit more work to get that image.
    Fail.
    Why don't you write the article your self or link a better picture? Be productive, not an arsehole.

As for the article thats cool! I'd deffinetly register mine.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

Thanks
    I think we should all take a moment to congratulate the NYPD for solving all other forms of street crime.

Banned
    Thanks

damn guess i have to find a new source of income now

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    Why don't you write the article your self or link a better picture? Be productive, not an arsehole.

As for the article thats cool! I'd deffinetly register mine.
    Not sure why I offended you, or why you feel the need to name call, but here.

It was not that hard. Now go home and get your f#&kin shine box !

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NYPD Looking to Crack Down on iPhone 5 Theft-img_6464_display_image.jpg   NYPD Looking to Crack Down on iPhone 5 Theft-nypd.jpg   NYPD Looking to Crack Down on iPhone 5 Theft-240480_10151144795142488_396596549_o.jpg  
    Last edited by Illmatic636; 09-21-2012 at 12:51 PM.
    ►o·pen/ˈōpən/
    Accessible to all.
    Allowing access; not locked up.
    Having no means of closing or barring.
    Free from limitations, boundaries, or restrictions.

Green Apple
    Thanks

What a waste of tax payers money.
    Sorry but I think they have better things they should be more worried about.
    If it's such a big deal maybe Apple should pay more money in better security guards instead of wasting good tax payers dollars, obviously Apple doesn't seem to care and I dont believe it should be the local law department's job or priority.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

NYPD is doing this to reduce their workload, and to be able to increase their recovery of stolen iDevices. By being there to register devices as soon as people buy them, they can increase their chances of actually being able to help victims of theft. That's one place I can say that law enforcement is doing a good job.

Thanks

"Individuals alert to their surroundings are less likely to become victims"
    That's a notion anyone with common sense should practice, especially with high end phones such as an iPhone.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amoamare View Post
    What a waste of tax payers money.
    Sorry but I think they have better things they should be more worried about.
    If it's such a big deal maybe Apple should pay more money in better security guards instead of wasting good tax payers dollars, obviously Apple doesn't seem to care and I dont believe it should be the local law department's job or priority.
    Lucky for those iPhone buyers they pay taxes, which in turn pays for the law enforcement. So how is this wasting tax payer's money? If you want to talk about wasting, next time you see the cops chatting it up on the freeways. Stop and tell them to get back to work. Let them know you are tired of them driving the cop cars home & us paying for their gas.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey! Gimmie yo iPhone dawg!

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Illmatic636 View Post
    Not sure why I offended you, or why you feel the need to name call, but here.

It was not that hard. Now go home and get your f#&kin shine box !
    Way to prove my point! Thanks buddy!

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

Thanks

Well kudos to the NYPD.
    Nice to hear that somewhere on this great continent cops are being cops because up here in vancouver and district B.c. Canada its the cops you have to worry about mugging you for your idevices!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xhazex9x View Post
    damn guess i have to find a new source of income now
    LOL!! better luck next time

This is indeed a great news, hope they will do it for all kinds of phone not just with iPhone 5 in this way we can lower the rate of such crimes.