+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Requiring Developers to Submit iPhone 5 Compatible Screenshots in the App Store

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple Requiring Developers to Submit iPhone 5 Compatible Screenshots in the App Store

With the iPhone 5 launching in nine countries today, Apple has begun sending notes out to developers, requiring the app makers supply screenshots compatible with the new smartphone’s taller 4-inch display when submitting software updates. The information was obtained by RazorianFly via an iTunes Connect notice, which broke down the new image size requirements.

The notice even went as far as warning that non-compliance will result in an app being held for review until the proper screenshots are provided. The new app screenshot requirements are:

• 640 pixels by 1136 pixels (portrait)
    • 640 pixels by 1096 pixels (portrait)
    • 1136 pixels by 640 pixels (landscape)
    • 1136 pixels by 600 pixels (landscape)

As of right now, a number of third-party developers have already submitted updates to bring their apps up to iOS 6 and subsequently the iPhone 5 standards. These apps include a handful tailored to take advantage of Apple’s Passbook app. The changes make sense as Apple wants to promote not only its new mobile operating system but also its new flagship phone. If an app isn’t optimized for the taller display that the iPhone 5 boasts than the app will be centered with black letterboxing.

Source: RazorianFly

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

End users will be satisfied- I don't see a problem with this.

p.s. It is not warning- more like informing devs.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

got this weeks ago..

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm not sure I understand why they necessarily need to require screenshots to be the new dimensions. All the new display offers is more height (in portrait, or width in landscape orientation), which would cause most (properly designed) apps to just expose more of the main body section of the app, when said app is running in an iPhone 5 vs a 4/4S, right? Am I missing something here?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by uri8472 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand why they necessarily need to require screenshots to be the new dimensions. All the new display offers is more height (in portrait, or width in landscape orientation), which would cause most (properly designed) apps to just expose more of the main body section of the app, when said app is running in an iPhone 5 vs a 4/4S, right? Am I missing something here?
    It doesn't. It leaves a black space at the top and the bottom of the screen.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    It doesn't. It leaves a black space at the top and the bottom of the screen.
    Is this true? If it is, then all I can say is, wow, WTH were they thinking? Would it really have been that hard to just expand the main boy section of existing 4/4S apps? Has Apple never seen how applications behave on regular desktop systems in terms resizing and maximizing go? Who are Apple thought that black empty space at the top and bottom was better than just taking up all available space regardless of screen dimensions, just like if you maximize the same application on a wide-screen and non-wide-screen monitors. I just believe Apple still can't grasp this simple over two decade old concept. Just wow.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by znbl View Post
    Is this true? If it is, then all I can say is, wow, WTH were they thinking? Would it really have been that hard to just expand the main boy section of existing 4/4S apps? Has Apple never seen how applications behave on regular desktop systems in terms resizing and maximizing go? Who are Apple thought that black empty space at the top and bottom was better than just taking up all available space regardless of screen dimensions, just like if you maximize the same application on a wide-screen and non-wide-screen monitors. I just believe Apple still can't grasp this simple over two decade old concept. Just wow.
    Hmm. And very few apps have been updated for the 5. Guess I just need to be patient.

Although I doubt the MMi app will ever be updated.

szr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    Hmm. And very few apps have been updated for the 5. Guess I just need to be patient.

Although I doubt the MMi app will ever be updated.
    The point is, there doesn't seem to be a logical reason that pre-iPhone 5 apps should need to updated at all. If the GUI framework in iOS 6 did things logically, it would simply allow the main portion of any app to fill as much space as possible. This is a familiar concept for programs in a desktop system, as someone else noted, but I too am puzzled why this is so difficult to do on a mobile platform like iOS. There is no reason why a mobile application shouldn't be following the same semantics as a maximized (or full-screen in OS X) application on a desktop system; fill all available space. This should be incredible simple, and thus there doesn't seem to be an excuse for black boarders in pre-iPhone 5 apps. These are apps, not images or videos that have fixed dimensions.

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

So if I want to release an app I have I make it work on iPhone 5's 4-inch screen. That's stier sheissen. I hate the 5 and will refuse to make apps for it.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I don't think you guys understand this...

iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Thanks

Any properly designed app will adjust to the new dimensions with no changes whatsoever. Every single app I have ever worked on adjusted automatically and required no changes at all. Some apps that we're designed to use a fixed resolution will need to be updated to either be fluid or adjust to multiple resolutions. It really isn't a big deal.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to runey71 For This Useful Post:

szr (09-22-2012)