Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Supposedly "Working Hard" to Fix Issues in Maps App

Thanks

Default Apple Supposedly "Working Hard" to Fix Issues in Maps App

Google Maps building data on the left compared to Apple's Maps app building data on the right

Apple’s new Maps app introduced with iOS 6 is a hot topic that many people are complaining about. The Cupertino California company issued a statement after numerous complaints stating that its service is a work in progress and that it will get better with time. Apple spokesperson Trudy Miller recently said the following to All Things D:

Customers around the world are upgrading to iOS 6 with over 200 new features including Apple Maps, our first map service ... We are excited to offer this service with innovative new features like Flyover, turn by turn navigation, and Siri integration. We launched this new map service knowing it is a major initiative and that we are just getting started with it. Maps is a cloud-based solution and the more people use it, the better it will get. We appreciate all of the customer feedback and are working hard to make the customer experience even better.
    The new Maps app found in iOS 6 replaced Google Maps, the service Apple has been using since the first iPhone’s launch in 2007. Although many review found Apple’s attempt of the mapping service to commendable, it was pointed out that it is not as nearly as functional as the more honed service that Google provides. Examples of issues with the new Maps app include the fact that it doesn’t support transit routes out of the box and the flyover feature, while impressive, is limited.

Many iOS 6 users have been continually reporting inaccuracies with the new service, including misrepresented locations, place names and incorrect business listings. There have been reports of incomplete mapping data, bugs in Flyover rendering and a gross lack of specific building data that iOS users have come to expect from the Google Maps app. These shortfalls are a bit expected from a new product, especially when everyone is comparing it to a well-established service such as Google Maps, which has seen constant upgrades and tweaks for almost a decade at this point.

According to the folks over at All Things D, Apple is keeping the team that works on the Maps app “under lockdown” to fix some of the larger errors that are apparent in the new app. It’s still unlikely that any significant changes will be made in the near future though. We’ll have to see what is fixed and how long it takes by being patient.

Source: All Things D

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

I will certainly be using google maps when my i5 arrives!

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

What was the reason they stopped using Google? Why fix something that isn't broken?

Thanks
    This single item may actually cause me to dump iOS and move to android. I use the maps regularly being a map fanatic. It's a shame apple has to be a war with google.

Apple should have swallowed their pride on this one. You know the Maps App won't be "fixed" until, like, iOS 8 and will have intermittent issues with every small update (along with clock app and wifi mishaps). Apple, had just started to turn me, but mod/edit
    Last edited by thetoothfairy; 09-21-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Steve Jobs from it's grave:

"Can anyone tell me what Maps app is supposed to do?"

When one foolhardy exec explained the aim of the service,

Jobs will shoot back: "So why the **** doesn't it do that."

The Cupertino California company issued a statement after numerous complaints stating that its service is a work in progress and that it will get better with time
    Then why did they release it to the public as a new feature...? Release it as a BETA app if it's a work in progress. They said the same thing about Siri. iOS6 is worthless right now.

Ah, immediately when I opened modmyi this morning, I thought, "wow, that looks a lot like Penn State campus" and surely I wasn't disappointed. It's actually surprising how much building names on Maps helps out while looking for a place for the first time.

The crapy thing about iOS is that the baked in apps can only be tweaked with a full iOS update... BLAH!! OSX doesn't work that way... why iOS?

Apple should have left Google maps in their Maps app and have an option to switch to it if we want, but I don't see that happening now. I expect Google will release their own Google Maps app though like they did with YouTube.

The comparison pictures above arn't at the same level of zoom though are they?!

In the top left of the google maps you have Holmes St. Whereas the top left on iOS maps is Tower road and Holmes st. is half way down!
    You can also see Beaver Stadium in iOS maps whereas you can only see as far as (what looks like) Bigler Rd.
    I think these pictures are a bit misleading...

If you zoom in on iOS maps does the resolution become better and all the street names show up?

True—but maps is a cloud-based app. Major issues like incorrect locations, perhaps even map design and labeling issues /should/ be able to be updated quickly and /easily/ by apple on the server-side.

Also, as a longtime TomTom user, most of these issues don't surprise me. iOS maps is basically an apple body, but TomTom is under the hood. And TomTom has always had issues with search, and giving the precise correct location (ie, the side of the street a location is on, or even the placement of a location on a given street). I've seen TomTom be off by as much as a quarter mile on a given road. TomTom's search is so poor in fact that I usually use google maps to search for a location or address ad use the "navigate here with TomTom" tweak from Cydia for the turn by turn navigation.

On a final note: TomTom once sent me to BROOKLYN, when the location was actually in MANHATTAN (same street number—WRONG BOROUGH!) LOL. So as I said, as soon as I heard that Apple teamed up with TomTom, my expectations were low.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy1977 View Post
    What was the reason they stopped using Google? Why fix something that isn't broken?
    Because google charge companies for use of google maps!

In the uk i find apples maps far cleaner than google maps! Only thing I would say is some of the area's on the edge of my home town! (Perth) are black and white and some cloud cover but when just using the normal map it is far less cluttered and street names are readable and the turn by turn beats copilot hands down!
    Last edited by scroogelives; 09-21-2012 at 06:40 AM.

Check this link to know how much lamer can Apple get with its Maps:

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sammy1977 View Post
    I've posted this in a couple places, but it continues to be ignored. Might as well try here.

I think the main reason they went away from Google is that Google changed the licensing terms for Google Maps. One of those changes was that you could not use map data for turn-by-turn navigation. That left Apple with few options to get their version on par feature-wise with Google Maps on Android.

Let's also not forget the pissing match Google & Apple have been in. Many people think Google Maps are free, but Google is all about Data Mining & they take all the info from map usage to make them better & see where people are going. They then have many ways to monetize that information. It's no secret that Apple wants in on that data too & the only way to get it would be to create their own app.

It sucks, but as long as private companies own map data someone will have to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Tario70 View Post
    I've posted this in a couple places, but it continues to be ignored. Might as well try here.

I think the main reason they went away from Google is that Google changed the licensing terms for Google Maps. One of those changes was that you could not use map data for turn-by-turn navigation. That left Apple with few options to get their version on par feature-wise with Google Maps on Android.

Let's also not forget the pissing match Google & Apple have been in. Many people think Google Maps are free, but Google is all about Data Mining & they take all the info from map usage to make them better & see where people are going. They then have many ways to monetize that information. It's no secret that Apple wants in on that data too & the only way to get it would be to create their own app.

It sucks, but as long as private companies own map data someone will have to pay.

Thank you for that explanation. I honestly had no clue what was going on. lol
    I updated the wife's 4S last nite and the first thing I did was go into maps to check it out. Can't really tell much by just looking about the functionality.

Haha pathetic excuse..a work in progress. Just like Siri. Build up all this hype for one of the only new features only to find out its crap. Déjà vu. Like a previous user said it might be fixed by..ios8

I don't see why all the grumbling... The fact that the app talks to you now with Siri and... and the product is an Apple development I would think would give any Apple fanatic peace-of-mind. I mean everyone loved Siri when she first came out, but she still needed to cultivated and u less you tweaked her with a Cydia app, she couldn't even open apps. Give 'em a break folks!

Man, wish they would have teamed up with Garmin instead of TomTom. As far as vehicle GPS devices go, I hold much higher regard for Garmin then for TomTom.

Quote Originally Posted by j.eck.art.3d View Post
    True—but maps is a cloud-based app. Major issues like incorrect locations, perhaps even map design and labeling issues /should/ be able to be updated quickly and /easily/ by apple on the server-side.

Also, as a longtime TomTom user, most of these issues don't surprise me. iOS maps is basically an apple body, but TomTom is under the hood. And TomTom has always had issues with search, and giving the precise correct location (ie, the side of the street a location is on, or even the placement of a location on a given street). I've seen TomTom be off by as much as a quarter mile on a given road. TomTom's search is so poor in fact that I usually use google maps to search for a location or address ad use the "navigate here with TomTom" tweak from Cydia for the turn by turn navigation.

On a final note: TomTom once sent me to BROOKLYN, when the location was actually in MANHATTAN (same street number—WRONG BOROUGH!) LOL. So as I said, as soon as I heard that Apple teamed up with TomTom, my expectations were low.
    I had the exact same experience with my old Tom Tom GPS unit (before I eventually got fed up with it and sold it!).
    It would often take me to within 100-200 yards of where I needed to be. Sort of ok, right? Except there'd be something totally impassable in between, like a huge mountain that you'd have to drive 20 miles to get around. Tom Tom GPS was famous for leaving cars dangling off the edges of cliffs, after insisting the driver take the tiny little dirt track along the shore line. iOS6 drivers better read the disclaimer and not put too much faith in those turn-by-turn directions!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast