+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Supposedly "Working Hard" to Fix Issues in Maps App

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I am enjoying using a service on my phone that finally rivals google maps - even if it does need content issues resolved. This is the first real competition google
    iPhone? More like MyPhone ohthatguyagain's Avatar
    Thanks

I am enjoying using a service on my phone that finally rivals google maps - even if it does need content issues resolved. This is the first real competition google has experienced in free mapping services - especially mobile maps.

So ... To all the apple naysayers who continuously post on this forum about down with apple // competition being good - ... Apple is the first to give google a run for their money in this ring... Recognize!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Navigon ftw!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    apple should hire the people that made the Waze app and add there 3D tech, problem solved. i hope apple is reading this i should be getting paid for recruiting lol

Thanks

Last edited by confucious; 09-21-2012 at 06:02 PM.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Goliegold29 View Post
    apple should hire the people that made the Waze app and add there 3D tech, problem solved. i hope apple is reading this i should be getting paid for recruiting lol
    Agreed! Waze is pretty BADASS!

iPhone? More like MyPhone mallenass's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks

I tried using iOS 6 maps as sat nav in the car yesterday. It is truly awful compared to CoPilot!
    The screen turns of (CoPilot keeps the screen on) it doesn't reroute if you go off the route and looks like one of the very basic satnavs that have been available for free for ages. People who are impressed by this must have lead a very sheltered life...
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I tried using iOS 6 maps as sat nav in the car yesterday. It is truly awful compared to CoPilot!
    The screen turns of (CoPilot keeps the screen on) it doesn't reroute if you go off the route and looks like one of the very basic satnavs that have been available for free for ages. People who are impressed by this must have lead a very sheltered life...
    It doesn't do simple re-routing? Haven't tried it yet, but if not, that is SERIOUSLY lame. But, I would not really expect much less from Apple as it appears when they feel threatened they lash out, either by lawsuit or withdrawing an application from inclusion. The Google maps turn by turn application lack was not a maps problem but an Apple problem.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tperry View Post
    It doesn't do simple re-routing? Haven't tried it yet, but if not, that is SERIOUSLY lame. But, I would not really expect much less from Apple as it appears when they feel threatened they lash out, either by lawsuit or withdrawing an application from inclusion. The Google maps turn by turn application lack was not a maps problem but an Apple problem.
    Just tried it out for a short trip and I was pretty impressed. Didn't test out the re-routing but I highly doubt it lacks that feature. Will try later. Compared to navigon it's a much more spartan experience. Navigon has truly great graphics. But I like the voice command option... I tested 'give me directions to the Empire State Building in New York new York' (i live in CA). Took about 5 seconds to calculate a new route and give my first direction. I have to say the noise cancelation is pretty good because I was going about 40 mph. My 4s couldn't do that unless I was using the bt headset.

I suspect I'll use it more than navigon because its so simple. Anyone know what happens if you lose your signal in the middle of a road trip? Does it save the directions to memory? Maybe that's why the graphics are so thin for the turn by turn compared to the incredible graphics of the actual map program.

Thanks

Outside the USA the maps are so bad you can't rely on it.

Apple have really dropped the ball on this one. People waiting for the iPhone 5 and unsure about Android are not going to be impressed. I'm sure the 5 wil be a massive success, but can't help thinking that for waverers this just makes Android look a better option.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Not sure it really hurts them as long as they get the google maps app into the App Store soon. If Google was smart they'd dragged their feet a bit on that to see how public opinion shakes out on the maps app. In Bay Area Ca the Apple maps blow google maps out of the water. I was pretty sold the first time I saw a 3d fly over Coit tower in City View streamed over AirPlay to my TV. On the other hand, i can see wanting good ol google maps if you aren't in an area that's well covered for the time being.

I've been using Sparrow for email instead of the stock iOS mail client for a while now - I don't see that using a third party maps app is a big deal if that's your preference. Certainly wouldn't influence me to use an inferior phone...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by virtualcappy View Post
    On the other hand, i can see wanting good ol google maps if you aren't in an area that's well covered for the time being.

I've been using Sparrow for email instead of the stock iOS mail client for a while now - I don't see that using a third party maps app is a big deal if that's your preference. Certainly wouldn't influence me to use an inferior phone...
    Which is probably a majority of the US and the world.

I'm assuming you've used both Android nd IOS devices by your comment. Out of curiosity, which Android devices have you owned and personally used?
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tperry View Post
    Which is probably a majority of the US and the world.

I'm assuming you've used both Android nd IOS devices by your comment. Out of curiosity, which Android devices have you owned and personally used?
    You know what they say about assumptions...

To clear up a bit of mis-info in this thread, apple maps definitely does re-routing quickly and easily. And it does not go into autolock - the application overrides the autolock and remains on while giving directions. In fact, a neat feature is that if you press the sleep button to turn it off while taking directions, it turns on briefly to let you know when a turn approaches, and then turns back off. Very slick.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by virtualcappy View Post
    You know what they say about assumptions...

To clear up a bit of mis-info in this thread, apple maps definitely does re-routing quickly and easily. And it does not go into autolock - the application overrides the autolock and remains on while giving directions. In fact, a neat feature is that if you press the sleep button to turn it off while taking directions, it turns on briefly to let you know when a turn approaches, and then turns back off. Very slick.
    That certainly wasn't my experience on my iPhone 4.
    ReRouting did not appear to work and the phone kept on going to sleep making it unusable. Maybe it only does not go to sleep on the devices where voice guidance is enabled?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    That certainly wasn't my experience on my iPhone 4.
    ReRouting did not appear to work and the phone kept on going to sleep making it unusable. Maybe it only does not go to sleep on the devices where voice guidance is enabled?
    Only talking about 5, haven't tried ios6 on any other device. If that's the case though I'd be sticking with navigon on older devices...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    @mallenass
    LOL good stuff.

I really hope Apple approve Google Map app!

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12