+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google: iOS 6 Users Should Still Use Google Maps

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple has moved beyond Google Maps in iOS 6 , bringing with it their own implementation of maps with service provided by TomTom. Some users aren’t completely sold on the
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 787 Posts

Default Google: iOS 6 Users Should Still Use Google Maps

Apple has moved beyond Google Maps in iOS 6, bringing with it their own implementation of maps with service provided by TomTom. Some users aren’t completely sold on the new Maps application yet. The new Maps application includes new features such as turn-by-turn navigation and Flyover view, but it seems some people just miss having Google Maps on their iOS devices.

Dan Cobley, Google's UK marketing director, says iPhone 5 users can still continue to use Google Maps regardless of Apple's new mapping service taking over in iOS 6 according to a comment made on Bloomberg TV:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cobley
    iPhone 5 users can still use Google Maps by downloading them or going to the Google Maps website... We believe Google Maps are the most comprehensive, accurate and easy-to-use maps in the world. Our goal is to make Google Maps available to everyone who wants to use it, regardless of device, browser, or operating system.
    Currently the only way anyone on iOS 6 would be able to use Google Maps is from Mobile Safari, unless Google has untold plans to bring a Google Maps application to iOS like they have with YouTube and Google Chrome. Using Google Maps through Mobile Safari is not the most pleasant experience in the world – animations from the Web browser are laggy and would fare much better in a standalone application.

Google Maps was not a bad mapping service, but it doesn’t offer a good navigation solution for iPhone users. In iOS 5, the Maps application was not capable of voice turn-by-turn navigation like it is in iOS 6. Even from Mobile Safari in iOS 6, Google Maps will not offer voice turn-by-turn navigation. This is an important feature because it keeps the user’s eyes on the road for longer periods of time and reduces the chances of an accident. For this reason, many users downloaded expensive third party navigation software from the App Store as a replacement for the Maps application in iOS 5.

Do you prefer Apple's new mapping service or Google Maps?

Sources: Bloomberg via 9to5Mac
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 09-20-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

iOS 6 maps is terribly inaccurate for me compared to Google maps, but it could just be Apple's trend of having features work properly in the US but not in the rest of the world.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Been using the Apple service since the first beta of iOS 6 and it has been fantastic. I'm in the U.S., obviously. Do not miss Google Maps one bit.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

from my rooted Droid DNA

Green Apple
    Thanks

Google Maps sucks. It has since day 1. I love the new iOS maps app. No problems

To be honest, the only Google product I have liked is their search engine. And even that has gotten annoying with their directed ads and stuff. Android is horrible (no matter the flavor). Maps sucks. Just not a big Google fan.
    Last edited by asmacumber; 09-20-2012 at 02:29 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

if you dont live in the US its gonna suck.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Google maps was terrible and supper laggy and always took the long route and back doors. The new iOS map is super easy and very accurate. Living around Washington dc is a bit crazy and for people who don't know dc well, all I can say is that it's hell unless you have a good gps. And one thing that sold me was turn by turn. For five years google failed to put it into their maps, so to bad. For the rest of the world who don't have a full map update yet, I am sure apple is working on that as they will release it to other countries.

Thanks

Default Google will release a stand alone app
    I am pretty sure that Google will release a stand alone app and most users that know whats good for them will end up using it. Its just going to be a rewrite from their Android system with the same turn by turn direction. Google would be dumb to loose out on the money they have been making off the iphone maps app and sponsored links that are shown in it.

Its what people are used to using and if they only have to DL it once then they will gladly do it to get their comfort zone back. Wait and see - itll come out soon.

Thanks

i personally like apple maps it has been good to me. the only thing that has been funny is the coupons for the passbook, the target coupons dont show in the app...but rather just in mobile safari

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

I like the design of the new maps app and some features but there is nothing like the good old google maps. Once apple updates the maps and have more user experience with it, it will be much better!!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The Google Maps app that was on iOS was very limited. My guess is Apple didn't want to pay any fees to Google for the full version. Like what is on Android. I feel sorry for all the people that paid for Navigation apps to have Turn by Turn, only for Apple to include it now. Some of those apps was very costly.
    Crappy part is Turn by Turn only works on the 4S & 5.

Thanks

im on ipod touch 4h, i use google map for 3D

Green Apple
    Thanks

I don't know if I am going to be using the paid Navigon app as much. It is just quicker to use the Apple one. I like the look as well.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

Someone should port Google Maps over to iOS 6 and put it on Cydia once possible

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim J View Post
    Someone should port Google Maps over to iOS 6 and put it on Cydia once possible
    This would be amazing. I thought I'd give the apple maps a try but they have failed in every single aspect, the search function is just awful from my experience.

Banned
    Thanks

In Apple Maps any device lower than the 4S DOESN'T have voice turn by turn and you DO have to look at the screen.
    Its also missing features that Google Maps has like Street View and 3D buildings.
    Also most of the features in the new Maps are only for US so the rest of the world would use Google Maps if it was available in IOS6.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Painkiller006's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    In Apple Maps any device lower than the 4S DOESN'T have voice turn by turn and you DO have to look at the screen.
    Its also missing features that Google Maps has like Street View and 3D buildings.
    Also most of the features in the new Maps are only for US so the rest of the world would use Google Maps if it was available in IOS6.
    That sucks for everyone else outside the US. And i mean wow, way to go Apple with the new maps <_< Google: iOS 6 Users Should Still Use Google Maps-tumblr_mannqjzt3v1rhptwbo1_1280.png

Thanks

Continue using google maps? No...

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crotia View Post
    This would be amazing. I thought I'd give the apple maps a try but they have failed in every single aspect, the search function is just awful from my experience.
    Failed every single aspect?? I highly doubt that. Search is awful? where are you from? the Arctic?
    All i say is find the closest tim hortons and its given me turn by turn directions. Which Canada never had before. I asked to give me directions to my summer house which it did and it also gave me notice that construction is on the highway and that an off-ramp is closed... with traffic delays!! ALL FOR FREE!

So again.. you must be from the Arctic.

Fish are friends, not food!
    Neither is Slow Internet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eballesq View Post
    Been using the Apple service since the first beta of iOS 6 and it has been fantastic. I'm in the U.S., obviously. Do not miss Google Maps one bit.
    I agree I have been using it since beta 1 and haven't had any issues PERIOD!!!