Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google: iOS 6 Users Should Still Use Google Maps

Green Apple
    Thanks

I love Apples mobile phones, I just wish they didn't fix something that wasn't broken, Google is totally right about this.
    I relied on Google maps for the transit times around my city because we do not have a functioning transit app for iOS. The New map system directs me to some 3rd party apps that don't even exist.

I hate when people say Google maps sucked, it was one of the best. The only reason Apple removed Google Maps was because they wouldn't include turn by turn directions. Sure iOS 6 Maps is good if you have a car, but if you rely on public transportation - its literally a curse. I can't wait till Google releases a standalone app for Google Maps. I am lost without it. I know you can still go on safari and use Google Maps but it isn't the same experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlymanson View Post
    I love Apples mobile phones, I just wish they didn't fix something that wasn't broken, Google is totally right about this.
    I relied on Google maps for the transit times around my city because we do not have a functioning transit app for iOS. The New map system directs me to some 3rd party apps that don't even exist.

I hate when people say Google maps sucked, it was one of the best. The only reason Apple removed Google Maps was because they wouldn't include turn by turn directions. Sure iOS 6 Maps is good if you have a car, but if you rely on public transportation - its literally a curse. I can't wait till Google releases a standalone app for Google Maps. I am lost without it. I know you can still go on safari and use Google Maps but it isn't the same experience.
    I think it was totally broken. I absolutely hated looking at my screen to find my way around places I was not familiar with. It took my eyes off the road for way too long.

It's good for planning, but terrible for live navigation.

Google had nicer map pictures, but I think Apple's Maps application will benefit us all in functionality.

lol. you all forget how MANY apps you can download on the app store that have the google maps API. there are so many other maps that just dont say Google on the front that still are google.

Banned
    Thanks

lmfao at all the iDiotic comments I'm reading about how iOS maps are better than Google's !! I cant believe that some people can be so blatantly dishonest.

Any of you using Google maps on an iPhone have a stripped down and very limited version. Google maps on Android has literally dozens of features that are NOT available on iOS and will not be available on iOS maps.

here's what Ive noticed since updating my iPhone 4S to iOS 6.

- iOS maps is copying features from Google maps such as multi touch swipe to tilt the map & multi touch to rotate the map.
    - iOS maps 3D maps does NOT work. I pan over downtown Manhattan and there are NO 3D buildings. NONE, period.
    - iOS maps has no biking routes directions
    - iOS maps has no voice navigation with turn by turn
    - iOS maps has no places
    - iOS maps has no "layers" traffic, satellite, terrain, transit lines, latitude, my maps, cycling,.
    - iOS maps has no live traffic
    - iOS maps has no offline maps
    - iOS maps doesnt show subway and bus routes
    - iOS maps no street view
    - iOS maps have NO labs (labs lets you add plugins and such to the map app. so for example I have lab that lets me measure the distance between two points along with elevation information.)

[IMG][/IMG]

Does the maps work on the iPhone 4?

I upgraded my iOS to 6 and the mapping and turn by turn is what I missed the most about being a previous Android user. Now iOS 6 is amazing with the turn by turn! Much better than Google Maps turn by turn!

Default I Miss Street View
    No Street view in Apple Maps!

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    That sucks for everyone else outside the US. And i mean wow, way to go Apple with the new maps <_< Attachment 612610
    That'd be one hell of a GT run :P

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Really need Google Maps back with Street View, the new Maps app sucks balls.

ummm, Google....umm, well...NO, I'll use Apples. Go goggle yourself.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    iOS 6 maps is terribly inaccurate for me compared to Google maps, but it could just be Apple's trend of having features work properly in the US but not in the rest of the world.
    Haven't updated to ios 6 yet, but this scares me. I'd get so lost in those tiny Eurozone streets without Google Maps, and they dont even map most of those tiny streets. I'm scared now.

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Google maps on Android has literally dozens of features that are NOT available on iOS and will not be available on iOS maps.

here's what Ive noticed since updating my iPhone 4S to iOS 6.
    - iOS maps has no voice navigation with turn by turn
    Apple could add new features to the Maps application in the future, so claiming iOS Maps application won't gain similar features in the future is basically a fallacious statement. There is no evidence to support this argument.

And no turn-by-turn? Surely you couldn't have missed the biggest feature of iOS 6's Maps application:

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by asmacumber View Post
    Google Maps sucks. It has since day 1. I love the new iOS maps app. No problems

To be honest, the only Google product I have liked is their search engine. And even that has gotten annoying with their directed ads and stuff. Android is horrible (no matter the flavor). Maps sucks. Just not a big Google fan.
    Just had to take the chance to bash google huh?

I use GPS drive. It's only $1 and a full year of voice navigation only cost $10. It's far better than any other maps service.
    Last edited by rockyseay; 09-20-2012 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cgfusion View Post
    I love this.

Not used it much but seems Ok

I wish I had a miniature elephant that fit in the palm of my hand. I would pick him up and he'd lift up his trunk and stand on his back legs and say PRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPPPPPPPHHHHHHHH and I would say yes little elephant i love you too.

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller006 View Post
    That sucks for everyone else outside the US. And i mean wow, way to go Apple with the new maps <_< Attachment 612610
    Sweet 3d rendering. I haven't updated yet.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tperry's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cgfusion View Post
    Uhmmmm..basically there is the beginning of a consensus that the current BETA ( looks like an alpha to me) implementation of their maps sucks wind. Agreed that the original Google Maps on the 4/4S sucked, but that was an Apple limitation, not Google Maps. The Android implementation is great. Your statement really appears to be that of a fanboi, "Apple did make it so I won't use it, even if the other product is better" type.
    Not a waterboy for Android OR Apple.

Being in the UK, the new Apple Maps sucks monkey balls. I'd be better off with an old fashioned paper map

Search for Heathrow Airport 20 miles away from me and I get Heathrow Florida
    Luton Airport has moved from outside London to the other side of the country
    My town has vanished (25000 people)
    I've already written to one of the major supermarkets in the next town over advising them that they have to move a mile down to the road to where Apple insists they are located
    The road my sister lives on is on Apple but according to Apple there are no roads linking to it
    Searching for a Gas station Apple gave me directions then said I had to walk the last 60 yards

No matter how slow Google maps is in Chrome there is no way I can use the Apple maps

I think Apple dropped the ball on this. I used to do pizza delivery, and google maps on my phone was awesome. I love it; I hope Google releases a stand-alone app.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast