+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Patent Details Universal Battery and Charging System

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Patent Details Universal Battery and Charging System

Apple products and removable batteries have a hate-hate relationship. Apple hates them, and we hate that they don’t have them.

Which makes Apple’s latest patent just that much more insane: A patent for a universal battery system. Patent #8,269,453 “Battery Charging System for Mobile and Accessory Device,” details a system where universal removable battery packs can be used to power devices like your wireless keyboard, phone, mouse, and other accessories.

While the patent is promising, don’t bet on Apple introducing the technology any time soon. Even though the prospect of having a battery pack that could both be charged by your Macbook Pro or extend the laptop’s battery life is enticing if not revolutionary. The batteries themselves could even have “serviceable” cores that could be replaced if and when the lithium elements go bad.

The tech is based off a patent originally filed for in 2007, with the current patent dating back to 2010. While all of the ideas held within are fantastic, the fact Apple owns this patent is a little saddening considering the company’s stance toward removable batteries, let alone shared battery systems.

Source: USPTO [via Engadget]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

There are battery packs that come in various sized from small hard drive to notebook that have USB ports to charge different devices at once. They will probably hold much more charge compared to the flashdrive sized solution the drawings are showing and are just as portable. How is this revolutionary and how did they even get the patent?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Reminds me of the quick-swap gang charger for my old Logitech G7 mouse.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Does that mean that we might be able to pre replace our batteries in our iDevices?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

No just means Apple wants you to pay a premium for their "revolutionary" Lightning Bolt charger. Which in reality will just be an external battery that can be purchased anywhere on the internet these days.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iAdamir's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple products and removable batteries have a hate-hate relationship. Apple hates them, and we hate that they don’t have them.

Nope, we don't hate that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iAdamir View Post

Nope, we don't hate that.
    I've never had the need to replace a battery on a iPhone! Although there has been times when being able to swap one like when camping would have been better than the external case charger!

Green Apple
    Thanks

sounds great for the iPhone5 & iPod5g, something that wont to bulky in your pocket.. I'll definitely buy one as long if they keep under $60 and I get at least 1-2 full battery charge out of it, so i dont have to buy a bulky extra life battery case when they come out..

iPhone? More like MyPhone norfskate's Avatar
    Thanks

I diny get the removable battery argument, what's so bad about carrying a small external battery as opposed to an actual replacement battery???

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks
    Argh nm