+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T: iPhone 5 Pre-orders Break the Record of Any iPhone in the Past

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 764 Posts

Default AT&T: iPhone 5 Pre-orders Break the Record of Any iPhone in the Past

AT&T has just announced this morning that the iPhone 5 is the fastest-selling iPhone in history for the carrier. The iPhone 5 became available for pre-order just last Friday.

It’s not much of a surprise, as the iPhone 5 packs almost all of the consumer-demanded features into a thin and light package, such as 4G LTE, a four-inch retina display, a redesigned unibody case, and even some redesigned accessories. The device also ships with Apple’s greatest mobile operating system to date – iOS 6.

The announcement does show us that even though AT&T has tight restrictions on things like data and FaceTime over cellular networks, consumers aren’t too worried about the loss and will continue to shop with AT&T even though other cellular carriers like Sprint offer unlimited data, calling, and messaging and cellular carriers like Verizon offer a larger scope of 4G LTE coverage and will not limit FaceTime over cellular networks (neither will Sprint).

No matter what carrier you’re choosing to get the iPhone 5 on, there’s no doubt that there is a huge waiting line for you to get your unit. Shipping dates for the iPhone 5 have slipped 2-3 weeks on Apple’s Web site, indicating just how heavy the demand for the device is compared to the the current supply, but Apple will catch up soon enough.

Sources: AT&T

Green Apple
    Thanks

meh, if sprint woulda hurried up or listed my city has a future LTE city i woulda switched but it didnt so meh.
    att

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I stuck with AT&T. Unlimited data is great and all but I'm on wifi 95% of the time anyway so even with heavy use while traveling for a couple weeks, I've never gone over my 2GB. Also with unlimited messaging with free mobile to mobile and rollover, I actually ADD about 300 minutes a month to my bill. I have the 450 minutes plan and use my phone for business so I'm receiving around 80 calls a day.

Even with travel and one of the "lower" tier plans, using my smart phone in a smart manner has kept my bill lower than the unlimited plans.

PS. I was told the carriers were given a different stock of iPhone 5 shipments. I saw on Apple that the wait was 2-3 weeks, walked into my ATT store and they said they could guarantee at 9/21 delivery date. Might check into that if you're still wanting one at release!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sticking with Sprint!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Deal braker for me about sticking to AT&T is the fact that you can't surf and talk at the same time which I do a lot. AT&T does offer FaceTime over cell data you just have to be on their shared plans which are more. What can you expect from a greedy SOB of a CEO.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I already have ATT lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Nope, Sprint. I'm on a grandfathered unlimited data plan, and I'm still ditching AT&T because I'm tired of their bad business practices.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ssjbrolly View Post
    Deal braker for me about sticking to AT&T is the fact that you can't surf and talk at the same time which I do a lot. AT&T does offer FaceTime over cell data you just have to be on their shared plans which are more. What can you expect from a greedy SOB of a CEO.
    How are you figuring the shared plans are more? My wife and I currently share 1400 minutes (WAY more than we need), I have 200 texts, she has 1000, and we each get 2 GB of data. We pay about $140 for this after an employer discount.

The shared plan would give us unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, 4 GB of shared data, and mobile hotspot capability (without jailbreaking) for $150. Throw in the employer discount and we'd be getting more stuff for about the same price as our current plan.

Thanks

Never mind "talk n surf" (i.e. dude, the navi says I am 30 miles from the party) a + for AT&T, but Facetime over slow CDMA/EVDO? (A - for Sprint/Verizon). What's the point? The phone already has a still photo app that's also "free". Sayin...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Notice how they said of any past iPhone, not any phone ever. The S3 sold more in 24 hours and that was only the international version, not the US versions. the iPhone is slipping.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GmAz View Post
    Notice how they said of any past iPhone, not any phone ever. The S3 sold more in 24 hours and that was only the international version, not the US versions. the iPhone is slipping.
    I wouldn't say slipping. It's doubling with every release.

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    How are you figuring the shared plans are more? My wife and I currently share 1400 minutes (WAY more than we need), I have 200 texts, she has 1000, and we each get 2 GB of data. We pay about $140 for this after an employer discount.

The shared plan would give us unlimited minutes, unlimited texts, 4 GB of shared data, and mobile hotspot capability (without jailbreaking) for $150. Throw in the employer discount and we'd be getting more stuff for about the same price as our current plan.
    Well, if you read what he wrote HE has the service. He didn't mention a wife, therefore it is indeed more expensive to have-to purchase a shared plan just to use Facetime over 3G/LTE. That is ******** for people who don't need more than 1 line/account.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post
    Well, if you read what he wrote HE has the service. He didn't mention a wife, therefore it is indeed more expensive to have-to purchase a shared plan just to use Facetime over 3G/LTE. That is ******** for people who don't need more than 1 line/account.
    You're right. I made the assumption that since he was on the shared plan he had a wife or friend splitting the bill.

Thanks
    I chose AT&T. My estimate was 14-21 days... So I hope to get it before my birthday (5th of next month)

Thanks

I did AT&T because they applied a 10% discount to my monthly data plan (Unlimited) whereas Apple did not. At the time of ordering (Friday evening around 6:30pm PST) both Apple and AT&T were quoting 2-3 weeks (AT&T ended up showing 14-21 business days).

Hope I get it before the end of the month, but I won't stress if I don't. Sure, I'd love it by Friday. But, my boss offered to pay for the phone and that didn't come through until Friday evening. I'd rather save myself $435 (64GB was $435 after tax) then get the phone on 9/21 or possibly 9/20 as some iPhone owners have gotten their iPhones a day before general availability due to FedEx shipping 'em quicker.

I'm just happy that within a few days I'll have my hands on an LTE iPhone 5 with Unlimited Data on AT&T. And my after tax price of my phone bill is only $83!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor2213 View Post
    Nope, Sprint. I'm on a grandfathered unlimited data plan, and I'm still ditching AT&T because I'm tired of their bad business practices.
    PM me I would love to take over your unlimited data plan!

iPhone? More like MyPhone spooneditr's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't even know if I want to be with AT&T when they start charging for FaceTime. That's kinda bs to me.

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spooneditr View Post
    Don't even know if I want to be with AT&T when they start charging for FaceTime. That's kinda bs to me.
    They haven't started charging for FaceTime yet; they're only limited it to certain plans.

I'm sure after we all get our iOS 6 jailbreak (in fact, some of us can do this on iOS 5 already with our current jailbreaks), we can enable FaceTime over cellular without AT&T's input.

iPhone? More like MyPhone starkall's Avatar
    Thanks

Good thing Flip Swap through AT&T gave me $320 for my iPhone 4s 32gb. Galaxy s3 here I come. I was severely disappointed with the i5 release. Hopefully the next iPhone is far superior to what's on the market and not outdated before it hits the market.

My iPhone is a Part of Me NSXrebel's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    Good thing Flip Swap through AT&T gave me $320 for my iPhone 4s 32gb. Galaxy s3 here I come. I was severely disappointed with the i5 release. Hopefully the next iPhone is far superior to what's on the market and not outdated before it hits the market.
    you're ******* ********.