+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sprint and Verizon iPhone 5 Won't Let You Talk and Surf the Web at the Same Time

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Sprint and Verizon iPhone 5 Won't Let You Talk and Surf the Web at the Same Time

Although certain models of Apple’s new iPhone 5 offer support for simultaneous voice and data over LTE, it’s been discovered that the advanced network of U.S. carriers, Sprint and Verizon, are not compatible with this feature. That means out of the top three major U.S. wireless carriers in the United States, only AT&T will be getting an iPhone 5 model capable of handling simultaneous voice and data, giving users the option to browse the web or use other data services while making a phone call.

Verizon does have a number of LTE handsets that offer compatibility with the company’s simultaneous voice and data CDMA equivalent, SVDO, the iPhone 5 just isn’t one of them. A Verizon spokesman told the folks over at The Verge that its version of the iPhone 5 will not be able to handle the feature even if it connects to the carrier’s LTE network:

The iPhone 5 was designed to allow customers to place a voice call on the Verizon Wireless network, while letting customers access the Internet over the WiFi.
    AT&T on the other hand touts the functionality as a standout feature over Verizon since it started selling the iPhone last year. It will carry over simultaneous voice and data with Apple’s newest handset on both its HPSDA+ and LTE networks. One thing to note here though is that iPhone 5 users will not be able to access LTE speeds while on a call.

Source: The Verge

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Sorry but isn't this old news to everyone?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It is pretty old.
    I remember an AT&T commercial saying you could on theirs which I do.
    Maybe it's surprising because of the LTE function?
    In all honesty I still haven't looked into the LTE thing since I couldn't have it.
    I wonder in iOS 6 will there be a Edge, 4G, LTE toggle.
    There isn't a toggle for iOS 5.1.1 right?

Green Apple
    Thanks

This was the deciding factor for me last year with the 4S. I could have saved some cash going with Sprint, but at the last minute realized this problem and stuck with AT&T. They're about to get another 2 year contract from me, especially after their awesome family share plans. I save 35% each month now! I've always had unlimited data ever since the original iPhone, but I reviewed my usage and saw I never exceeded 2GB/month. I'll be adding my parents, getting two iPhone 5s, taking one and giving my mother my 4S, and using the 4GB/month usage. $70 + $30 + $30 instead of $100 for me and $100 for them. I live near Long Beach CA and my reception has no problems, however I know there may be problems in other cities. Go LTE!

Thanks

That feature never worked when I had AT&T they said the 3G signal wasnt strong enough in my area...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Verizon did not support this feature on 3G, but it was assumed LTE would allow simultaneous voice and data. I would think this could be fixed with software. It is not a deal breaker in regards to choosing a carrier though.

Green Apple
    Thanks

omg!!!!!!!! ...i knew this already. they had a whole commercial about this like what a year or two ago?

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is a limit of the phone not Verizon service. Sorry I can browse and talk at the same time on the Galaxy S3 Verizon supports talk and web with almost all there current lineup of LTE phones

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Txting :(
    I can't remember the last time I actually used the iPhone as a phone. So it's totally worth it to anyone to not get dicked around by AT&T and just deal with this one hardly negative feature. I choose Sprint.

-Formally 7 Year user of AT&T
    JL

Thanks

Too late now... I just completed preorder of 2 32gb iPhone 5's on Verizon's website in under 15 minutes (starting at 2:55am EST)

Besides, that's always been a feature of AT&T on 3G, which is all you'll get on AT&T anyway

Thanks

Apple seemed to have not been willing to take the battery hit that comes with the dual radio/chipset required. And why is no one talking about the crappy hand-offs or hand-down from fast LTE to sloooow EVDO? Facetime over EVDO, Yikes! Enjoy the slideshow. Bottom-line, CDMA/EVDO Suxs and Verizon rushed to deploy LTE picking an out of spec crap dual radio solution... There is no software fix!

PS On AT&T = "Dude, I'm like 30mins from the party per the navi"... On Verizon/Sprint = oh wait, can't have that conversation without the navi going offline. So silly...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danman2_2999 View Post
    This was the deciding factor for me last year with the 4S. I could have saved some cash going with Sprint, but at the last minute realized this problem and stuck with AT&T. They're about to get another 2 year contract from me, especially after their awesome family share plans. I save 35% each month now! I've always had unlimited data ever since the original iPhone, but I reviewed my usage and saw I never exceeded 2GB/month. I'll be adding my parents, getting two iPhone 5s, taking one and giving my mother my 4S, and using the 4GB/month usage. $70 + $30 + $30 instead of $100 for me and $100 for them. I live near Long Beach CA and my reception has no problems, however I know there may be problems in other cities. Go LTE!
    haha you sound like a paid spokesperson

please tell us more

iPhone? More like MyPhone RoloDiva13's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daviedave View Post
    haha you sound like a paid spokesperson

please tell us more

Hahaha And You sound like a troll...please, tell us more
    Last edited by RoloDiva13; 09-14-2012 at 05:54 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amoamare View Post
    This is a limit of the phone not Verizon service. Sorry I can browse and talk at the same time on the Galaxy S3 Verizon supports talk and web with almost all there current lineup of LTE phones
    Hmm, is that because the new iPhone has everything on one chip? Or does it have to do with the number of antennas?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I understand this is old news guys but the reason it was reported is because of 4g support.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Why are people saying this is old news?!!?

LTE is in the mix know. Stop trying to pat yourselves on the back acting as if you knew this already. Shut up or say something relevant to this BS.

Guess I'm waiting till the 7th Gen iPhone. If this is still an issue(no voice+data simulationiously)
    then I'll get the newest Android phone with Key-lime Pie on it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Illmatic636 View Post
    Why are people saying this is old news?!!?

LTE is in the mix know. Stop trying to pat yourselves on the back acting as if you knew this already. Shut up or say something relevant to this BS.

Guess I'm waiting till the 7th Gen iPhone. If this is still an issue(no voice+data simulationiously)
    then I'll get the newest Android phone with Key-lime Pie on it!
    Is getting key-lime pie on it covered under warranty?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I haven't been able to use this feature on AT&T for years. Mostly because I can't even make a phone call on AT&T's network.

Thanks

I can't understand why people are so hung up on this still. For me personally I was on ATT since the original iphone and I dont think I used voice+data more than a handful of times in that span of years.

That said I just switched to VZW yesterday and pre-ordered my iphone 5, because where I currently live its the best. They also have the most LTE coverage... that to me is the main selling point of the iphone 5.

I am however shocked that they still cant do voice+data on verizon. oh well.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwraw8482 View Post
    Is getting key-lime pie on it covered under warranty?
    :-) Hopefully, otherwise root/flash and WALLA!

That is just the name of the next Android OS. They are on Jellybean right now. Next is Key-lime pie.
    ultimately, my warranty will be doo doo.

This is a failure on Verizon, or is it Apple's fault?
    ►o·pen/ˈōpən/
    Accessible to all.
    Allowing access; not locked up.
    Having no means of closing or barring.
    Free from limitations, boundaries, or restrictions.