Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Verizon Not Blocking FaceTime Over Cellular for the iPhone 5

Thanks

Default Verizon Not Blocking FaceTime Over Cellular for the iPhone 5

After the debut of Apple’s iPhone 5, Verizon Wireless announced that it will allow all iPhone 5 data plan subscribers to use iOS 6’s FaceTime over Cellular. This move is one that Verizon seems to be taking to counter rival carrier AT&T’s plans, which currently limit the feature to the company’s Mobile Share data plans.

For those of you who didn’t already know, FaceTime video calling over cellular networks will be enabled when iOS 6 launches on September 19th, however U.S. wireless operators seem to have opposing views on how to charge customers who use the data-hungry feature. Verizon released a press released stating customers who wanted to use the voice calling feature can do so at any data allowance tier, including existing unlimited data plans. One thing to clarify though is that FaceTime over cellular not be available for existing iPhone 4S users. The wireless carrier’s press release mentioned the following:

Customers purchasing iPhone 5 will also want to purchase a Share Everything Plan beginning at $40 monthly access and $50 monthly account access that includes unlimited voice, unlimited text, picture and video messaging, and a data plan that can be shared with up to 10 devices on a single account. And, customers wanting to use FaceTime on their iPhone 5 can do so using any Verizon Wireless data plan allowance.

Other carriers, including Sprint also said that it would not be imposing any restrictions on FaceTime use. AT&T however announced in August that the feature would only be available to iPhone users who sign up for the company’s Mobile Share data plans. When unhappy customers complained, the carrier released a public letter defending the move, saying it was within its rights to block the app’s access because it doesn’t offer its own video chat service.

Verizon customers will be happy nonetheless with the decision. In the meantime, pre-orders will begin at midnight tonight (midnight PST) with shipments to follow a week later on September 21.

Source: Verizon (Press Release)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

My iPhone is a Part of Me doomsday116's Avatar
    Thanks

FAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWK YOU AT&T...lol...Hopefully after they jailbreak IOS 6 they will have a tweak for this...
    Last edited by doomsday116; 09-13-2012 at 11:03 PM.

AT&T sucks

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

They make a huge deal over facetime.. yet idk y. Lets be serious.. whos actually going to facetime over calling someone? Seriously not likely.. yeah if your showing something or if its your lover or some **** but really..? Do i even like talking on the phone or would i rather txt?

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    They make a huge deal over facetime.. yet idk y. Lets be serious.. whos actually going to facetime over calling someone? Seriously not likely.. yeah if your showing something or if its your lover or some **** but really..? Do i even like talking on the phone or would i rather txt?
    FaceTime is the best...
    U have any idea how great is when u far from ur 1yr old baby girl and u can see her make u feel like u never left. For people like me who's always from one state to another is the best.
    Instagram: zplit
    Twitter: zplit

So if one utilizes the family shared plan on AT&T, they are eligible to use FaceTime without wifi?

Much prefer to use skype, mainly because of cross platform compatibility (kids can sit on pc at home in Australia while I'm here in USA much easier to talk to both at once then as well) not to mention no stupid restrictions from carriers (apart from data allowance lol) the restriction makes no sense to me if I pay for data then why do they care what I use it for? I see it as similar to the reason for jailbreaking ie my device so I should be able to use whatever features I like on it if I have paid for it!

My iPhone is a Part of Me bmwraw8482's Avatar
    Thanks

Why would they block it anyway? At $15/gb in data overage charges it's good business to allow people to eat their data up quickly! (I'll be one of them)

Quote Originally Posted by doomsday116 View Post
    FAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWK YOU AT&T...lol...Hopefully after they jailbreak IOS 6 they will have a tweak for this...
    Already have... 3G unrestrictor. U recommend getting it even if you aren't on AT&T as it allows downloads of any size and higher YouTube quality. I don't see why AT&T doesn't want us wasting our data..

What about the 4s?

Glad I'm on Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    What about the 4s?
    People keep posting stuff about the 4S not allowing facetime over cellular but it says on Apple.com "iPhone 4S to any FaceTime-enabled device over Wi-Fi or cellular" - which is word for word what it says about the 5. The 4, is only facetime over wifi.

Apple - iPhone 5 - Compare specifications between iPhone models.