+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Force YouTube Links to Launch the New YouTube Application With 'YTOpener'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Just this week, Google launched a standalone YouTube application for free in the iOS App Store because Apple has axed the mobile YouTube application from iOS 6. In the opinion
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Force YouTube Links to Launch the New YouTube Application With 'YTOpener'

Just this week, Google launched a standalone YouTube application for free in the iOS App Store because Apple has axed the mobile YouTube application from iOS 6.

In the opinion of many iOS users, the new and free YouTube application is much better, more feature-filled, and more attractive than Apple’s native YouTube application. For iOS 6 users, the YouTube application is much faster and smoother than looking at YouTube from a window in Mobile Safari. That being said, it makes more sense to open YouTube links with the new free App Store application instead of Apple’s lame application or launching the links in Mobile Safari.

Thinking exactly along these lines is iOS developer thekirbylover, who has just launched a free jailbreak tweak in Cydia today called YTOpener. The tweak has no options to configure, but when you install it, every desktop YouTube link you open will launch Google’s new YouTube application to play the video.

Notice we say "desktop" YouTube link. After some testing with the tweak, it appears that it will open mobile YouTube links with Mobile Safari – not the YouTube application. Mobile YouTube links are distinguished from desktop YouTube links with a "m." in front of the link after the "http://" in the link. Below is a visual representation:

The tweak is a very good idea, but not supporting mobile links is a bit of a large omission for a tweak aiming to open YouTube links on a mobile device. It’s very easy to delete the “m.” from the YouTube link and open it as a desktop link, but it does become cumbersome and in the time you do this, you would have been able to launch the link in Mobile Safari and start watching the video. We have reached out the developer about this issue and we will report back with his response. Hopefully he will add support for the mobile links in the near future and we can upgrade our rating for the tweak.

If you like the new YouTube application from Google, then this tweak will make a good addition to your device. Links from anywhere – not just the Messages application as we have pictured above – will open in the YouTube application under influence of this tweak. It’s free, so give it a try and see what you think.

Name: YTOpener
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-1
    Requirements: iOS 5
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: thekirbylover
    Editor's Rating:  3/5

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Protube

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtkhalid View Post
    Protube
    Is awesome

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is there a tweak to stop opening YouTube links and just play it through safari?

My iPhone is a Part of Me radioBirdman's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtkhalid View Post
    Protube
    Quote Originally Posted by teej1410 View Post
    Is awesome
    Truth.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Airplay no longer works in the new YouTube app for the Iphone 4. It says it only supports audio. I'm not sure what I get out of updating to IOS 6 now, it seems like I'll just lose my airplay, and transit directions.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The new app is just a better looking version of apples. Both suck.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by purplemonkeyspank View Post
    The new app is just a better looking version of apples. Both suck.
    +1

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Can the new YouTube app download vids? If not we need a tweak for that too!

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    Can the new YouTube app download vids? If not we need a tweak for that too!
    Google is never going to natively give you that ability. It leads to issues with copyright laws since many videos on YouTube are protected by copyright laws by their owners.

To everyone else:

I did get in touch with thekirbylover and he will be adding support for mobile YouTube links.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by max53389 View Post
    Is there a tweak to stop opening YouTube links and just play it through safari?
    I believe if you go to the phone settings- restrictions and restrict the native YouTube app, it will open links in safari- no tweak needed

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

The new YouTube app is nice, but it wouldn't last 30 seconds in the ring with ProTube!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by patoons View Post
    I believe if you go to the phone settings- restrictions and restrict the native YouTube app, it will open links in safari- no tweak needed
    I know that way but it disables some (close to half) embedded YouTube videos on websites.
    Not a permanent solution at the moment untill I update to iOS 6 and it removes the YouTube app.