+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: A6 Processor Reportedly First to Use ARM's Next-Generation A15 Cortex Architecture

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default A6 Processor Reportedly First to Use ARM's Next-Generation A15 Cortex Architecture

Apple was pretty mum on the technical aspects of the A6 processor, not delving into the architecture, only mentioning itís smaller size, power efficiency, and increased computing power.

However, new details have emerged that the new A6 chip in the iPhone 5 is based on Armís next generation Cortex A15 cores. Appleís iPhone 5 is the first device to utilize the new technology, beating both TI and Samsung to the punch.

Appleís older iDevices utilized ARM Cortex 8 and Cortex 9 cores, with the next generation iPad utilizing the same 45nm technology of the A5 with a modified GPU array. The new A6 utilizes Samsungís 32nm LP HK+MG production process, allowing the dye size to shrink, power efficiency to increase, and computing power to increase as well.

ARMís calls the A15s ďthe highest-performance licensable processor the industry has ever seen.Ē Well until their next processor comes out. Still the A15s will be featured in a bevy of new processors not yet on the market including the Tegra 4, Samsungís Exynos 5, and TIís OMAP 5 series processors.

The A6 may only be a dual-core processor, but the combination of a quad-core GPU, and the latest ARM technology make the A6 a formidable beast. But, until the iPhone 5 goes through itís paces from the teardown experts, no one will know exactly the A6 is made of.

Source: AnandTech

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

Dats coo.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

freaking sick fast!

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

This is what makes the iPhone 5 better than iPhone 4S. People don't think of the power under the hood. That's what matters in technology now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by regkilla View Post
    This is what makes the iPhone 5 better than iPhone 4S. People don't think of the power under the hood. That's what matters in technology now.
    I agree I mean why come on here just to bash about it just so 4year old talk people are doing lately

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I also want to know how much memory it has. I'm hoping they went up to 1GB this time..

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,064 Times in 4,206 Posts

Don't think they said anything about the ram but I'm hoping for a gig to that would be nice.

Green Apple
    Thanks

this is sounding like its gonna be a little hard to jailbreak, they had a tuff time with the A5X, still haven't jailbroken the ATV3 A5, so now the A6 might be a challenge.. but i can be wrong!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 845 Posts

It sounds like it's just as fast as the A5X, but with better power consumption due to the smaller die size. Of course, it does say "faster performance" in the banner pic, but compared to what? The A5? The A5X? When Apple is vague it's often because they're hiding something. Just like when they said that the iPod Touch 4 had "the same Retina Display" as the iPhone 4, which was a blatant lie.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,855 Times in 884 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    It sounds like it's just as fast as the A5X, but with better power consumption due to the smaller die size. Of course, it does say "faster performance" in the banner pic, but compared to what? The A5? The A5X? When Apple is vague it's often because they're hiding something. Just like when they said that the iPod Touch 4 had "the same Retina Display" as the iPhone 4, which was a blatant lie.
    It's 2x faster than the 4s processor. I'm good with that cause the 4s is already super fast

Thanks
    Thanked 13,795 Times in 3,028 Posts

Redmond Pie posted a comparison article to the Galaxy S3 and they were both listed as having 1GB memory. Hopefully that's true. Funny cause these are the improvements that should matter the most. It basically got a supercharged motor. Huge for themers/modders who use widgets etc. People complain about the cosmetics being similar. Cosmetically they already have the best units so why deviate from that to far. This new device has huge advancements and anybody saying it doesn't knows nothing of tech. No reference to anybody on this post rather the other ten posted yesterday full of whiny children.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by subywrex View Post
    It's 2x faster than the 4s processor. I'm good with that cause the 4s is already super fast
    They said up to 2 times faster. Which mean its most likely not.

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    I also want to know how much memory it has. I'm hoping they went up to 1GB this time..
    ^this +1

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoUniversity View Post
    I'm pretty sure they were quoting the iPhone 4, when they said 2x as the previous generations.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

My iPhone is a Part of Me mkblade's Avatar
    Thanks

The internals are always good...
    Last edited by mkblade; 09-13-2012 at 10:21 AM. Reason: double post

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Idk why the hell I complain. I'm going to buy the dang phone when they release a jailbreak for it anyway lol. It's my secondary phone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mkblade's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
    Redmond Pie posted a comparison article to the Galaxy S3 and they were both listed as having 1GB memory. Hopefully that's true. Funny cause these are the improvements that should matter the most. It basically got a supercharged motor. Huge for themers/modders who use widgets etc. People complain about the cosmetics being similar. Cosmetically they already have the best units so why deviate from that to far. This new device has huge advancements and anybody saying it doesn't knows nothing of tech. No reference to anybody on this post rather the other ten posted yesterday full of whiny children.
    Its true..only true enthusiasts/modders know of the true upgrade they have performed internally rather than the usual cosmetic upgrades exterior..which at this point does not matter anymore as the only true exterior feature is a camera and a few ports. Overdoing on cosmetics simply ruins its simplistic elegant design & form factor which is the iPhone has been known for , "its whats inside that matters".
    You Know You Want to Hit It...[Thanks!]

Thanks
    Thanked 13,795 Times in 3,028 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mkblade View Post
    Its true..only true enthusiasts/modders know of the true upgrade they have performed internally rather than the usual cosmetic upgrades exterior..which at this point does not matter anymore as the only true exterior feature is a camera and a few ports. Overdoing on cosmetics simply ruins its simplistic elegant design & form factor which is the iPhone has been known for , "its whats inside that matters".
    Kudos to you sir. I agree 100%

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The6uest View Post
    Apples website show 1GB of memory.

EDIT: Actually it doesnt show it. I could have sworn I saw it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
    I wonder what S3 they are comparing to? The international version has 1GB and the US versions has 2GB which I can confirm since I have that one. My 4S and S3 are fighting all the time.
    Last edited by TheOrioles33; 09-13-2012 at 12:55 PM.
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

Thanks
    Thanked 3,855 Times in 884 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoUniversity View Post
    Yes give or take but an improvement is an improvement. The 4s is already fast as hell. So any increase is a good increase.

On the keynote they gave like 6 examples ranging from 1.7x to 2x faster.

Quote Originally Posted by zinjen View Post

I'm pretty sure they were quoting the iPhone 4, when they said 2x as the previous generations.
    The iPhone 4S is now a previous generation so they were meaning faster than that.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by n0id View Post
    this is sounding like its gonna be a little hard to jailbreak, they had a tuff time with the A5X, still haven't jailbroken the ATV3 A5, so now the A6 might be a challenge.. but i can be wrong!
    Jailbreaking has to do with the software not with the processors. Sure they said they cant jailbreak the A5 chip but they were talking about the software because its written differently to utilize the new processor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    its double the speeds of the a5x they say it on their website. Also the ipod touch does have a retina display.. and it doesnt suck more juice obviously if you read anything about the iphone you would know that.. they made it smaller and it has way more battery power than it had before.