+ Reply
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Raises The Curtain on iPhone 5

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy From an engineering standpoint, this IS a huge upgrade/redesign. Damn straight. Don't know what people are thinking. This is TWICE the phone the 4S
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,561 Times in 3,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    From an engineering standpoint, this IS a huge upgrade/redesign.
    Damn straight. Don't know what people are thinking. This is TWICE the phone the 4S - and more.. The Panoramic photo feature alone is staggering.

Quote Originally Posted by ThuD Muffin View Post
    I really don't get what you all are complaining about. This new iPhone retains everything that we love about the current iPhone and more. So what if the leaks look to be true...it's still the best build quality phone you'll find on the market currently. Go onto apple's site and watch the iPhone 5 video. I think then, you'll appreciate what it is quite a bit more.
    Well said. +100!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xclusiveiphone View Post
    If you wasn't impressed with the leaks, then you definitely be disappointed now. Don't blame the leaks for your disappointments.
    Exactly! Don't get the negativity here at all...

Quote Originally Posted by fadadman View Post
    This is a disaster, im actually heart broken, was really expecting something NEW!!! Samsung will make back that Billion in a minute with the S3
    LOL!!!.. Nobody's touching Apple's MarketShare on SmartPhones.. Let's compare Apples to Apples. You can't compare Android to iPhone - since Android is an OPERATING SYSTEM not a device. iPhone is a device. And Samsung's S series is nowhere touchin' iPhone - for good reason: it's a toy in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    According to Apple's website there are three versions of the iPhone 5. The CDMA version will support LTE bands 1, 3, 5 & 25, in addition to Verizon's LTE band 13 (700 MHz), which means Verizion's LTE will work internationally. Yay Verizon!

The AT&T version will only support bands 4 and 17, which means AT&T's LTE won't work outside of the US. Global compatibility used to be the only advantage AT&T had. Oh dear. Poor old AT&T...
    Ooooo. This is a game changer for me.. I haven't wanted to go Verizon - but maybe I will need to. Unless these 3rd party unlock services will be able to unlock the iP5s in quick order.

Also - who would want to use LTE in another country and pay all those international charges anyway.. The only way to make it cost effective is to buy the iP5 'factory unlocked' and then get a prepaid SIM overseas.. But if I understand what you're saying -- having a CDMA phone, factory unlocked, would be the best of all potentials for travelling overseas.. Agreed?

Quote Originally Posted by BIMPtacular View Post
    With a jailbreak tweak. That's not part of the stock OS is it? Just saying. I'm comparing stock to stock, as I don't intend on hanging out on Cydia and installing the latest tweaks everyday. Not to mention I rather enjoy keeping my warranty intact.
    Warranty Void? What an old - silly argument. Restore the phone and even an Apple Genius can never tell it was ever jailbroken. Please......

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I hate new iPhone releases. I never buy one on releases bc my contract isn't up yet for discounted pricing and I can't afford it at the time to buy at full retail. I get all jealous of other people and stuff bc they pre-order or they get to stand in line and buy it on release day. This is a depressing yet exciting time for me lol.
    Not sure why you're depressed. You can get the updgrade discount pricing if you're anywhere after 11 months into your contract. They always allow discount pricing for people at least HALF into their contract. Every year it's worked this way since iPhone 2G.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mindblown's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    I'm not quite sure how this is relevant to my point. Of course the OS's differ. The generalization is, comparing statistics of sales and predictability of the amount of people who will purchase an iOS or Android device is as we know an unfair comparison due to the limit that iOS is not distributed to any other device.
    sorry, let me elaborate on what i said lol
    iOS -close source, solely open only to apple (since they created it) and no one else. so less phones made
    android os - open source - open to anyone, more companies involved in customizing and using them as there OS on there phones. So more phones being sold/made.
    Last edited by mindblown; 09-12-2012 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mindblown View Post
    let me elaborate on what i said lol
    iOS -close source, solely open only to apple (since they created it) and no one else. so less phones made
    android os - open source - open to anyone, more companies involved in customizing and using them as there OS on there phones. So more phones being sold/made.
    But when comparing market share (which shows popularity) - you can only compare 'device to device'. You can't compare 'Android' to 'iPhone' as one is an operating system and the other is a device. Apple still sells more iPhones today than all other Android-running 'devices' combined. That wasn't the case a year ago. But it is now. And there is no 'company' called ANDROID. They don't have 'sales numbers'. LOL!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simes6600 View Post
    samsung basically did this 18 months ago with the S2 (even before the 4"S" was launched). iPhone innovation sadly died with Steve Jobs.
    Smh agreed... Apple can no longer be innovative without their innovator... :-( And as much of a self proclaimed "Apple Fanboy" that I am, I'm only getting this because I own nothing but Apple products & I simply do not like Android.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

seriously?!
    If its so obvious then why does the original article quote them saying that the A6 will launch pages twice as fast without giving mention to the LTE NETWORK???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy215 View Post
    Smh agreed... Apple can no longer be innovative without their innovator... :-( And as much of a self proclaimed "Apple Fanboy" that I am, I'm only getting this because I own nothing but Apple products & I simply do not like Android.
    Exactly. Me too. My whole world is organized with iCloud and iTunes Match. I could never go to another platform now without major hassle. And I had a Galaxy -- it was a 'toy' in comparison to iPhone. Felt/Looked very cheap. OS very unstable. Not even in same category as an iPhone.

But I also concur with your concerns about Jobs' successor. Tim seems like a nice guy. He even has the Steve 'walk' down when on that stage.. But time will tell if he's an 'idea man'. I think Apple's got maybe 'one more year' - the 5S -- before people are going to wonder - so, Tim, what NEW can bring to the table? Like how iPad CREATED a whole new device called a "Tablet". There's something NEW out there - in the way we will 'do life' and communication. And Tim Cook won't be seen as a good captain - until he 'innovates' something new. I don't care if it's someone on his staff -- Apple, under HIS leadership, will need to 'do it again'... Pull a "Jobs"... This iPhone 5 is NOT that. And the '5' was already started under Steve anyway from what I've read.

I believe the next item or innovation will need to be step toward the iPad world and the laptop MacBookPro combining -maybe even eliminating the laptop. I don't know if any of you experience this.. but I have a 'stand up' case (folio) + bluetooth keyboard for my iPad 3 in Landscape mode and I spend so much time on that 'typing' and then 'touching the screen' - that when I'm on my MacBookPro I find myself touching the screen to move to the next object I need or for scrolling...

That's the next 'innovation' for Apple. They need to decide how to COMBINE the tablet and the laptop - eliminating one or the other - and not be apologetic about it.. That's a feat of Jobs proportions. Or at least bring touch screen to the MacBookPro.

A phone is a phone.. I don't see much real INNOVATION redesign coming any time soon. What else could they add?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I know why the whiners are so prominent on here, their SIII's either stopped working, bored with them, or their blow up dolls have a hole in them so they have nothing better to do. Face it, the iPhone is a much better phone than any other out there. Go patch up your girlfriends and re- inflate them.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

And of course Apple will falsely boast about how record-breaking their pre-order and launch day sales were and how they sold out everywhere....meanwhile 4 of my co-workers will walk into an Apple store mid-afternoon on launch day....hours after opening and walk out with one 10 minutes later. Just like the 4S last year.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Daniel212's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matrixhunter View Post
    A thinner and longer iphone 4/4s and a different back wow thats some innovation there sarcasm* I waited 2 dam years for a REDESIGNED IPHONE and this is what i get for being a loyal apple costumer. I am currently on an iphone 4. Look at how big the chagnes were from iphone 3g to iphone 4 in terms of design that was a big difference and now this is what we get really? How pathetic. So should i take my car stretch it and then claim its a new car. FAIL!!!!!!!! They should have appiled the ipad 2 design curves to the next iphone not this crap. THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE IPHONE 5 THIS look at those beautiful ipad 2 curves being appiled w=508&h=362&h=362
    That **** is ugly! Can't believe you want that!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cgfusion View Post
    I know why the whiners are so prominent on here, their SIII's either stopped working, bored with them, or their blow up dolls have a hole in them so they have nothing better to do. Face it, the iPhone is a much better phone than any other out there. Go patch up your girlfriends and re- inflate them.
    I own an iPhone, have plenty of fun with GTA3 on it mod edit. Try again.
    Last edited by EVO; 09-12-2012 at 10:31 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Daniel212's Avatar
    Thanks

To read all this comment about the ip5 appearance, really? How do you want it to look like? SG3, if do then just get that phone. Personally I love how to ip4 was and now the ip5 have the same design, loving more with the internal specs. I understand having the phone for awhile and it gets old and boring, but if the phone form was great why change it? I mean really I know a lot of ppl love how the ip4 look. Personally the look of the iPod touch 4th gen is ok, but I can't use that, if apple was to make the ip5 a tear drop form, I be disappointed, I held it and feels like I'm about to drop it. I have to hold it by the edges. Well Idk about the ppl tht dislike the ip5 but I personally think it's sexy. I just want to know wht do the ppl want from a phone, tht are disappointed with the ip5?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    True 16x9 display? It's 1136x640. True 16x9 would be 1138x640. TWO PIXELS OFF, BIG WHOOP! Now why they didn't actually make it 1138x640 who knows, but still, 2 stinkin' pixels difference in image width. I think people can get over that.
    Two pixels? Not quite:

1,136 x 640 = 727,040 pixels.
    1,138 x 640 = 728,320 pixels.

728,320 - 727,040 = 1,280 pixels.

As you can see from the above proof, the difference is actually 1,280 pixels, not two.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Not sure why you're depressed. You can get the updgrade discount pricing if you're anywhere after 11 months into your contract. They always allow discount pricing for people at least HALF into their contract. Every year it's worked this way since iPhone 2G.
    The discount pricing halfway through is not as much as being closer to the end of the contract. THAT is the time I'm able to purchase an iPhone, when I renew my contract. Especially with this semester, my work hours got cut more than half bc of school. That is why I'm a bit sad. I usually get new iPhones a couple months after release, this time I'm essentially having to wait about 5-6 months.

sorry, let me elaborate on what i said lol
    Oh ok that's clarified, thanks lol.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 09-12-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,047 Times in 1,692 Posts

If it weren't for iTunes and the App Store being so good they would sell far fewer phones. That's where they are better than everyone else. The phones themselves are becoming stale but once you have hundreds or thousands invested in media it's hard to stray.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mindblown's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    But when comparing market share (which shows popularity) - you can only compare 'device to device'. You can't compare 'Android' to 'iPhone' as one is an operating system and the other is a device. Apple still sells more iPhones today than all other Android-running 'devices' combined. That wasn't the case a year ago. But it is now. And there is no 'company' called ANDROID. They don't have 'sales numbers'. LOL!!
    i.Annie, i know how you feel when you did not understand what i said..
    now i feel the same way. i am not quite sure how this is relevant to my point lol

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    If its so obvious then why does the original article quote them saying that the A6 will launch pages twice as fast without giving mention to the LTE NETWORK???
    im not even talking about that, i think you need to go back and see what i posted and look carefully...
    Last edited by mindblown; 09-12-2012 at 11:18 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hapishyguy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    Hey I've done the jailbreak thing on my 3GS, and after awhile I decided I just don't need it. And seriously, things that are so easy to do on iOS are so effing difficult on Android, specifically mail and network settings (trying to get my boss's Android phone to sync mail and calendars, etc).
    You need to learn android yourself before Helping your boss. Nothing is complicated in android.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ThuD Muffin View Post
    Nothing against those who own Android devices, but my Mac, iPad, and iPhone work so well together that I can't possibly see myself buying other products "at this time". Cook mentioned this at the end of the keynote, and to be honest he couldn't be more correct. I am so happy how well my devices work with each other, therefore I have no objections to buying the iPhone 5. To all of you "jumping ship" to the SGIII, have you not thought for one second about how your devices will communicate with each other?

There are a few apps that allow you to still use all of the Apple things you love. My calendar and contacts still work seem less with isync for cloud and calendar. Still use iTunes with Airsync and it even syncs my music playlist as soon as my phone is on my WiFi network with out me doing anything. Pretty cool. One of my concerns was exactly what you mention. Did a few google searches and found my answers. There are quite a few apps that bridge the gap, some free and some a few bucks. For me it was just time for a change. In a few years maybe IOS will seem new to me again after Android for a few years.

And nothing is perfect. I was one of the more then 1 million icloud users with out my email for the last two days. Just got it back late this afternoon, and I am still getting e-mails from early yesterday morning rolling in. Makes you realize how much we can become dependent on a company. Almost two complete business days with out e-mail is pretty sad. I was shocked it took a company this big almost 35 hours to get my e-mail back. Just happy it's back.

Thanks

I wish they would've added a different choice of colors besides the boring old black and white they have each year.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,838 Times in 876 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arebee25 View Post
    It was boring prob because there has been so many leaks and rumors, etc. I for one will be getting it because I like Apple's products. It'll just make it that easy for me to get when the time comes.
    you do realize that just kinda looks like an ipod touch right? Also if you were to look at that phone straight on guess what? it would look just like all the other iphone.. same rounded corner and home button.. i mean its easy.. if you dont like it dont buy it..

Also do you follow cars at all? look at the mustang now and the mustang 3 years ago.. they are pretty much the same body with subtle changes. Does that make it a bad design? haha

Quote Originally Posted by BIMPtacular View Post
    With a jailbreak tweak. That's not part of the stock OS is it? Just saying. I'm comparing stock to stock, as I don't intend on hanging out on Cydia and installing the latest tweaks everyday. Not to mention I rather enjoy keeping my warranty intact.
    taking your phone to get fixed jailbroken voids your waranty.. but you can restore easily if something breaks.. Also isnt there "an app for that"? I use my iphone and ipad for work and am able to sign documents (mostly pdf's) and sign them then send them via email..
    Last edited by subywrex; 09-13-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Random Thanks Collector Richard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,111 Times in 547 Posts

Right. Another question for the guys in the know.

Will we be able to trim the Micro Sim Cards down to Micro sim ? The same way we did with the Sim Card to Mini Sim.

I take it that it is using a Micro Sim ? I used to use Nosey to cut Sim cards do you think they will be a tool for this ?

Thanks
    . I Am the Random Thanks Collector So Please Press the Thanks Button