Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Confirm Silent Mode Before Missing Important Calls With 'Smart Ringer'

Hybrid View

Default Confirm Silent Mode Before Missing Important Calls With 'Smart Ringer'

Sometimes the silent switch on the side of the iPhone gets turned onto silent by mistake. Whether some unknown force from inside of your pocket does it, or you just accidently do it yourself, silent mode can cause you to miss important calls if you can’t hear your ringtone. A new tweak called Smart Ringer by iOS developer dmarinov aims to prevent this issue.

After you install Smart Ringer, you will get the above alert every time you toggle silent mode on your iPhone with the silent/ringer switch on the side of your iPhone. The interface basically allows you to confirm whether or not you’re sure that you want the iPhone to go into silent mode. Depending on your settings, the phone may or may not vibrate when you get notifications while in silent mode, so it's important that the phone doesn't go into silent mode without you knowing.

The interface will ask you to slide the slider to confirm turning off all sounds – putting the device into silent mode. The interface includes a cancel button that, when tapped, exits the interface and keeps your iPhone from being silent even if your silent switch is set to silent. The button is timed, so if you don't answer the interface within a set period of time, it will assume that you flicked the silent switch by mistake and your iPhone will remain in ringer mode. If this happens, you can get into silent mode by switching the switch to ringer mode again and attempting to go through the Smart Ringer interface next time by switching to silent again.

The feature is actually a good idea, because instead of relying only on hardware that might get stuck on a loose thread loop in your pocket to handle your ringer and silent mode, you have a software fail-safe that no pocket thread will be able to hinder. The tweak will be most helpful to those that use their iPhones for important calls or messages and need to be able to hear their iPhone to respond if vibrations aren't a viable notification method. Check it out!

Name: Smart Ringer
    Price: 99¢
    Version: 1.0
    Requirements: iOS 5, iPhone
    Repo: ModMyi
    Developer: dmarinov
    Editor's Rating: / 3.5/5

Bulgarian developers represent!! (excuse the cliché nature, wanted to feel like an immature teenager)

Great tweak and a big life-saver for some. The interface could be a bit more polished. Keep it up dmarinov!

Needs a way to do it without sliding too. Sometimes, I appreciate the ease of activating the switch, especially with wet, oily, dirty, etc hands. Perhaps flipping it a few times in sequence could also confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    Needs a way to do it without sliding too. Sometimes, I appreciate the ease of activating the switch, especially with wet, oily, dirty, etc hands. Perhaps flipping it a few times in sequence could also confirm?
    I accept your remark. I have some other useful feedbacks, and will mind them in the next update. However I think it is still a "life saver" Very useful to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    I agree; I like how I can reach into my pocket and mute my phone without having to take it out (something you cannot do with a lot of handsets out there.) I find it's actually quite easy to check it's present state as well, just reach in and move the switch once, if you feel a brief vibrate, it's muted, else, the ringer is back on.

I recognize your Mysterious Cities of Gold avatar.

It would be better if this worked the other way around. I almost never get calls and there's always voicemail for them to leave a message. I work in a place where you're not supposed to have your phone with you, and being caught with it is a bad thing, so having it ring when I thought it was on silent could get me in deep $%#!.