Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Economist: iPhone 5 May Impact American GDP

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Economist: iPhone 5 May Impact American GDP

Talk about your economic stimulus.

On Tuesday, the Chicago Tribune reported the latest expectations among some industry analysts and leading economists regarding the impact Apple's next-generation iPhone may have on the national economy.

J.P.Morgan chief economist Michael Feroli believes that sales of the new iPhone could potentially add as much as half a percentage point to annualized gross domestic product growth in the fourth quarter of 2012.

"If the imported cost component is similar to previous leading generation phones it would imply around a $200 per phone addition to imports (which is a subtraction from GDP). The difference between these two figures, $400, would represent the trade margins, which figure into GDP,” Feroli says.

“This estimate seems fairly large, and for that reason should be treated skeptically,” Feroli said. “However, we think the recent evidence is consistent with this projection.”
    Feroli tells the paper that iPhone 5 sales could jolt GDP by $3.2 billion, or $12.8 billion,.

Source: Chicago Tribune

iPhone 5 better not turn into an epic fail.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by texan View Post
    iPhone 5 better not turn into an epic fail.
    it's not the iphone 5.. it the 6th gen iphone.... and i bet it will be called "IPhone" like "ipad" is not the ipad 3

Quote Originally Posted by buttrr76 View Post
    it's not the iphone 5.. it the 6th gen iphone.... and i bet it will be called "IPhone" like "ipad" is not the ipad 3
    Its the iphone 5 just like it says on the event invitation get over it already

Quote Originally Posted by xhazex9x View Post
    Hahahah!!!!!!!!!!!

It'll sell like hotcakes but given what we see it's a pretty half assed update. Same width - just added a bit to the height. I don't see a huge processor upgrade coming either to compensate for the LTE battery drain.

I hope HTC and Samsung gets a ban on it.

I'll be announced tomorrow, be everything the leaks have indicated it'll be, people here will call it the worst thing ever, and then proceed to pre-order it and help the phone break whatever record the 4S broke.

And now a reminder than every iPhone has sold equally or more to every previous generation combined.

A

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Yup!! I've been saying the next iPhone will be the iPhone 5 ever since the 4s was announced! I have always been completely astonished by the amount of people saying it will be called iPhone 6, and all the other names based on horrendously stupid logic!
    El Zurdo

The 5 is for five new products (Macbook, iPhone, iPod Touch, iPod Nano, iPad Mini)

Quote Originally Posted by luft5_thor View Post
    the 5 is for five new products (macbook, iphone, ipod touch, ipod nano, ipad mini)
    lol!