Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Google Releases Standalone YouTube App Ahead of iOS 6 Launch

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Google Releases Standalone YouTube App Ahead of iOS 6 Launch

Just before the next-generation iPhone unveiling, Google rolled out a standalone version of its YouTube app, giving iPhone and iPod Touch users access to the online video sharing portal. Apple’s iPad is currently not supported by the application, but that is said to be released in due time. The move is meant to help maintain Google’s presence in iOS after Apple announced in August that it would no longer be distributing YouTube as part of the pre-installed apps on iDevices.

Google added a number of features which seem to be borrowed from both the native Android app and the mobile web browser version of YouTube to the iOS version. These features include a YouTube channel guide, more robust sharing options (with Facebook, Google+, email, and more), and expanded search results. Furthermore, the app’s interface has also changed and is more similar to what one would see in the mobile web browser client, except with fast gesture-based controls.

The app is actually an improvement in many areas and cumbersome in others. On one hand, the app comes packed with several features that previously just been missing from the iOS version of the app but since it’s written by Google and is no longer subject to Apple-enforced restrictions, ads are now fair game. Furthermore, the YouTube app is currently only built for the iPhone and iPod Touch as mentioned before. Google said it was working on a version optimized for the iPad to be released “in the coming months.”

For those of you who are interested, you can download the 7.5MB YouTube app from the App Store as a free download.

Source: App Store. YouTube (blog)

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Finally! Much better than the native youtube app on iphone

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Agree gonna go check this out now.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

What will happen to playing YouTube videos through Safari when the integrated app is gone? Will videos launch the Google app?

Thanks

Is it just me or I don't see ya history of videos ya watched? My little girl loves watching her shows on you tube.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hitman10's Avatar
    Thanks

protube is the best

Gangnam Style!

On a side note, this app looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman10 View Post
    protube is the best
    Agreed!

Excellent customer. Better than native.

nice! easy to use. although buffering is kinda slow for me

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

It doesn't support background playing of a video like the native YouTube, I want to listen a song but not watch the video :/

appears to be no options for quality either, plays just like the native app did, HD on wifi and SD on 3g...

So what are the pros and cons of this app compared to ProTube?

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    Is it just me or I don't see ya history of videos ya watched? My little girl loves watching her shows on you tube.
    When you log-in, touch your name on top and all the history, playlist options should come up

Thanks
    I think protube (if your jailbroken) is ok, since it nicely names the dowloads. But I think the interface is a bit busy, just like the mobile website. (Its basically the mobilewebsite with downloading). I always preferred the native app, I thought it was clean and uncluttered, easy to navigate, but certainly lacking many options. This new app is not bad. I like the ability to sort the searches by relevance, date, view etc... The video interface does not use the native iphone video. So, scrollling(scrubbing) through videos (fast fwd, rwd) is one speed and video deosn't move with slider untill you let go. The native iphone video you change scrub speed (like music) and video catches up with slider position quickly.
    THe lack of quality choice and not background playing is well missed.
    I also liked yourtube and I had it working on 5.1.1 but only for downloads. THen just play through iFile.
    Another plus about the Native app, is you could have a favorites/history list off-line from your account. A nice feature. (and with some code changing of swapcameraroll, had two fav/history/yourtube lists, haha)
    So I guess we won't be able to publish our videos directly to youtube anymore? That is the best.
    Last edited by gd420mj; 09-11-2012 at 08:31 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Glocknine View Post
    When you log-in, touch your name on top and all the history, playlist options should come up
    Seen it but sometimes it loads and others it don't.

ProTube rocks!

Thanks

May try out protube

Not on the uk AppStore yet

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yeah it's pretty sweet! I hated the YouTube app before, now I love it!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast