Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Blue Toad Takes Fall for Leaked UDIDs

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Blue Toad Takes Fall for Leaked UDIDs

Last week, MMi's Anthony Bouchard reported that a group of hackers known as Antisec allegedly exploited a file on the computer of an FBI agent to leak over one million unique device identifiers (UDID).

At the time, confusion mounted both as iPhone users wondered how Antisec acquired the information and what it was doing on an FBI computer in the first place.

"The FBI has not requested this information from Apple, nor have we provided it to the FBI or any organization. Additionally, with iOS 6 we introduced a new set of APIs meant to replace the use of the UDID and will soon be banning the use of UDID,” Apple spokeswoman Natalie Kerris told All Things D last week.

Today, a new report is shedding light on what may have actually gone down.

A small Florida publishing company says the million-record database of Apple gadget identifiers released last week by the hacker group Anonymous was stolen from its servers two weeks ago. The admission, delivered by the company’s CEO exclusively to NBC News, contradicts Anonymous' claim that the hacker group stole the data from an FBI agent's laptop in March.
    Paul DeHart, CEO of the Blue Toad publishing company, tells NBC News that "technicians at his firm downloaded the data released by Anonymous and compared it to the company's own database. The analysis found a 98 percent correlation between the two datasets."

"That's 100 percent confidence level, it's our data... As soon as we found out we were involved and victimized, we approached the appropriate law enforcement officials, and we began to take steps to come forward, clear the record and take responsibility for this.”
    “I had no idea the impact this would ultimately cause,” DeHart added. “We're pretty apologetic to the people who relied on us to keep this information secure."

So is this the end of the story? Not counting on it.

Source: NBC

This is a heavy fraud by the FBI. They lost the info and now they are making Blue Toad take the fall and it is so obvious. The FBI are an overall piece of lying trash that is definitely part of the US government.

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonDesigner View Post
    This is a heavy fraud by the FBI. They lost the info and now they are making Blue Toad take the fall and it is so obvious. The FBI are an overall piece of lying trash that is definitely part of the US government.
    Smart much?

Thanks

^^Wouldn't be the first time they have lied..and far from the last time just saying :]

took the words right out of my mouth.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

"It wasn't us it was theeeemmmm"

Nah seriously though, i'm not really a conspiracy guy, there's likely some truth to both sides of the story and less of that truth being that the FBI is trying to feed us to aliens or whatever nonsense.

I don't frankly care if you are right or wrong. HOWEVER, what are you referencing that makes this piece of news BS? What facts or evidence are you referencing? Why is it obvious? Simply because you don't trust (the) govt?

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffS4 View Post
    I don't frankly care if you are right or wrong. HOWEVER, what are you referencing that makes this piece of news BS? What facts or evidence are you referencing? Why is it obvious? Simply because you don't trust (the) govt?

+1 I honestly don't give a damn about the FBI but throwing around ******** without evidence or any references is just as bad as the FBI 'lying'.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

well the author of this article already set the tone on name of the topic.
    What would "Take fall" suggest?
    Apple can check their data to see if it is a false claim.

I myself would rather believe a small company like Blue Toad have mickey mouse security that caused the leak than FBI "Cyber division?"
    Laptop gets hacked and downloaded 3TB of data? That is a lot of time download without anyone knowing, plus it is unusual for laptop to contain 3+TB HDD. Sure it could have had an USB external HDD connected to it, but leaving the laptop on with the external hooked up for long periods of time? Not impossible but unlikely for someone trained in security.
    Last edited by unison999; 09-10-2012 at 04:42 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me luvmytj's Avatar
    Thanks

So lets say its true what Blue Toad says... why do they have millions of UDID's?

Thanks

Nice cover story guys we know whats up!

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

nice covering this story 10 hours after Macrumors, why havent you written about 10.8.2 battery fixes oh wait lets save that for tomorrow even though Macrumors said it at noon is that your idea of delivering the news?

if your going to report the news on apple and products alike get with the times

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BenderRodriguez View Post
    nice covering this story 10 hours after Macrumors, why havent you written about 10.8.2 battery fixes oh wait lets save that for tomorrow even though Macrumors said it at noon is that your idea of delivering the news?

if your going to report the news on apple and products alike get with the times
    I'm pretty sure you're not being forced to read anything on the internet.

I work in the data center where the Blue Toad servers reside and met with a special agent yesterday. I had to connect a USB hard drive for data collection, so I'm pretty sure it is true.