+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple's New Sync Cable Connector to be the Same Size as a Micro USB Cable?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Apple's New Sync Cable Connector to be the Same Size as a Micro USB Cable?

Newly released images help compare what appears to be a Micro-USB cable with the rumored smaller 9-pin dock connector Apple is said to be deploying with the next-generation iPhone. The side-by-side comparison shots from French blog, nowhereelse.fr, help show that the two components share almost identical dimensions.

One strange thing discovered in the photos is the fact that the paraphernalia is from Chinese electronics firm, MEIZU, however the source said to not “pay attention to [that] detail,” adding that the alleged part in question is in fact a legitimate Apple product. As seen in the images, the purported 9-pin format appears to be nearly identical in size to the Micro USB plug, although Apple’s part seems to be slightly longer and thinner.

According to the source, the supposed new plug will feature a layout that has eight pins exposed on either side of a metal shell which serves as the ninth contact. This allows for orientation-independent use which is something that may please many users, allowing users to no longer have to make sure that the connector is right side up when inserting it into an iOS device.

We’ll find out what’s true and what’s not soon enough though as Apple is expected to unveil the next-generation iPhone this week at a September 12 special event.

Source: nowhereelse.fr via AppleInsider

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Shame, Apple don't change the UI of iOS or even allow colours but change unnecessary stuff requiring people to buy new accessories.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,195 Times in 981 Posts

I think that's the GooPhone's charging cable!

iPhone? More like MyPhone back2thebeatof84's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Shame, Apple don't change the UI of iOS or even allow colours but change unnecessary stuff requiring people to buy new accessories.
    That's what the almighty jailbreak is for.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by back2thebeatof84 View Post
    That's what the almighty jailbreak is for.
    It sucks that we have to jailbreak to do something as simple as changing ui and it sucks even more crapple hasnt given us the option to change **** in regards to the UI

Thanks

Look everyone!! If apple allowed you to change themes/colours or personalise your idevice!! They would charge for evey little thing!! Look at ringtones!! 99p a color £2.99 for a basic theme!! Then look at cydia large amount of tweaks that do this for free!! Mind you I am surprised apple have yet to take this money maker! I better get a patent quickly lol love my idevice's but hate the apple lockdown!!

Thanks

Ya it is pretty crappy that they did that. However, it does make sense if you consider that it allows more space internally, and for a larger speaker.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andypropaganda View Post
    Ya it is pretty crappy that they did that. However, it does make sense if you consider that it allows more space internally, and for a larger speaker.
    This is true. And hopefully they make the charger magnetic or something innovative like that instead of making it just smaller.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Ya but I hate the plugs right now I've always hated the small thin piece of plastic with metal pads that has to mate with the plug, it looks as if apple is making it so it don't matter which way you insert and and they got rid of the crappy old thin piece on the current one. even the micro USB has it and they both are a nightmare to insert in the middle of the night with the light off. Apple knows it to.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I just really hope some kind of converter comes out. I have one of those iPod cables installed in my car instead of a CD player that lets you play music directly off the iPod, and that isn't exactly cheap to replace. Plus, installation, ugh.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mindblown's Avatar
    Thanks

so with these new sync/charging cables, i suspect there is going to be a new PodBreakout for the iphone 5

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RCizzle65 View Post
    I just really hope some kind of converter comes out. I have one of those iPod cables installed in my car instead of a CD player that lets you play music directly off the iPod, and that isn't exactly cheap to replace. Plus, installation, ugh.
    No doubt there will be convertors. If not Apple 3rd parties will make them quickly. I would be surprised if Apple doesn't put one out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trialnterror View Post
    Ya but I hate the plugs right now I've always hated the small thin piece of plastic with metal pads that has to mate with the plug, it looks as if apple is making it so it don't matter which way you insert and and they got rid of the crappy old thin piece on the current one. even the micro USB has it and they both are a nightmare to insert in the middle of the night with the light off. Apple knows it to.
    Yes very true! It's a nightmare inserting the current cable without seeing which way up! 😄

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xhazex9x View Post
    It sucks that we have to jailbreak to do something as simple as changing ui and it sucks even more crapple hasnt given us the option to change **** in regards to the UI
    I like jailbreaking and support it. However I fully support apple in not adding theming because of how much ram it wastes

iPhone? More like MyPhone buttamix's Avatar
    Thanks

it looks cool, I just hope the cord last. I have gone through those like there is not tomorrow.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I don't get it. Why not just make it a f*cking micro usb cable? I mean really the whole world has changed to that, just makes every charger universal. I don't give two sh*ts as to which orientation the plug should be, it takes less than 1 second to turn it over. I'd much rather have a microusb port so I can just carry around one charger and use it cross platform for any device, and if a friend needs to charge theirs they can use mine...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Oh my God, it's a phone folks, Wah their changing my cable. Then don't buy it, I have alot of money tied up in accessories, guess what, things change......maybe it will charge faster, just maybe it's better. God, just stop whining.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think the new cable is implementing USB 3.0, and the micro version of 3 is very large and awkward so they designed their own. Quite ingenious if the orientation of the plug can be used both ways, no more fiddling with the thing in the dark for so long

Banned
    Thanks

WHY dont they just use the mini USB and make all their customers happy? Apple really are stupid.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,754 Times in 5,980 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DistortedHope View Post
    I think the new cable is implementing USB 3.0, and the micro version of 3 is very large and awkward so they designed their own. Quite ingenious if the orientation of the plug can be used both ways, no more fiddling with the thing in the dark for so long
    Agree, would be nice.

Like most, if this is indeed the new cable, I certainly hope they make an adapter to be able to use all the accessories I've bought over the years.