+ Reply
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Reportedly Unlocking On-Contract iPhones with Web Form

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I'm starting to reconsider the iPhone 5 purchase on my third line. If it means I'm stuck w/ another Data Plan for 2 yrs (on a line I don't use)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 778 Posts

I'm starting to reconsider the iPhone 5 purchase on my third line. If it means I'm stuck w/ another Data Plan for 2 yrs (on a line I don't use) then I might wait till December to upgrade.

I'm just not completely confident in the 'ghost line' advice I got from the AT&T rep...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    I'm starting to reconsider the iPhone 5 purchase on my third line. If it means I'm stuck w/ another Data Plan for 2 yrs (on a line I don't use) then I might wait till December to upgrade.

I'm just not completely confident in the 'ghost line' advice I got from the AT&T rep...
    Depending on what data plan you went for you are looking at $600-$960 spread over two years not including the cost of the iPhone or activation fee. You would have been better off just buying a unlocked iPhone 5 when they are released.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Strange. According to my email timestamps, I submitted my unlock request on 2012-09-11. I didn't get a response within the time I was supposed to, so I tried my sister's T-Mobile micro SIM on 2012-09-16 and it worked. I just got an email yesterday (2012-09-26) finally telling me that the unlock request was approved. What's with that email delay, AT&T?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AT&T Reportedly Unlocking On-Contract iPhones with Web Form-2012-09-16_unlocked_iphone_4.png  

Green Apple
    Thanks

I was able to get iPhone 4 unlocked after submitting online unlock request and following up with AT&T online chat representative. Told them needed unlock request expedited for "traveling". Representative said that it couldn't be expedited. I asked if request could be escalated to supervisor and within 10 minutes the unlock request was processed. All we need to do is do a full backup + restore and should then be good to go.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Try the new SIM before you bother with the restore.

I didn't have to restore or even reboot my phone. When I didn't hear back from AT&T, I got curious. I swapped my active AT&T micro SIM for my sister's active T-Mobile micro SIM...while the phone was already on. After a minute, the carrier logo said "T-Mobile" and I took the screenshot you see above your post. I had tried it days before and it would not work...so this phone was definitely locked to AT&T before.

There never was a "your phone is now unlocked" confirmation message on the phone.

I believe the instructions that say to perform a back-up / restore are out-dated; or they are meant to cover phones that might be running iOS 4. iOS 5 enabled many functions over-the-air that previously required you to connect to a PC running iTunes.

...or maybe it was because I was already using iOS 6? :hmm:
    Last edited by Shigoroku; 09-28-2012 at 10:20 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Anyone have some suggestions on legit sites that offer unlocks and can vouch for?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,437 Times in 4,285 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shigoroku View Post
    Try the new SIM before you bother with the restore.

I didn't have to restore or even reboot my phone. When I didn't hear back from AT&T, I got curious. I swapped my active AT&T micro SIM for my sister's active T-Mobile micro SIM...while the phone was already on. After a minute, the carrier logo said "T-Mobile" and I took the screenshot you see above your post.

There never was a "your phone is now unlocked" confirmation message on the phone.

I believe the instructions that say to perform a back-up / restore are out-dated; or they are meant to cover phones that might be running iOS 4. iOS 5 enabled many functions over-the-air that previously you to connect to a PC running iTunes.
    This is very true. No need for BackUp Restore nor to lose your jailbreak. Just put another GSM SIM in and bam, you're unlocked. Some people won't have access to another SIM to test and they just want confirmation that they're unlocked. They can check on these IMEI checker sites to verify their unlocked status. Only if they really want to see that "congratulations you're unlocked" message would they need to do a restore.

And if you're jailbroken and don't want to lose your jailbreak all you need to do is download the tweak called "SAM" and choose the 'deactivate' button. Then hook up to iTunes and you'll see the congratulations you're unlocked message and it reactivates you in the background. But even with a jailbroken phone all you need to do is put in another company's GSM Sim and you'll automatically see you're unlocked. It's just so easy.

It makes me wonder why people fooled around with all of the software unlock options and the Gevey Sims for so long. And worrying about basebands, etc. Why did we ever have to do that?
    Last edited by NewdestinyX; 09-28-2012 at 09:27 AM.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Thanks
    Thanked 14,776 Times in 6,872 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    This is very true. No need for BackUp Restore nor to lose your jailbreak. Just put another GSM SIM in and bam, you're unlocked. Some people won't have access to another SIM to test and they just want confirmation that they're unlocked. They can check on these IMEI checker sites to verify their unlocked status. Only if they really want to see that "congratulations you're unlocked" message would they need to do a restore.

And if you're jailbroken and don't want to lose your jailbreak all you need to do is download the tweak called "SAM" and choose the 'deactivate' button. Then hook up to iTunes and you'll see the congratulations you're unlocked message and it reactivates you in the background. But even with a jailbroken phone all you need to do is put in another company's GSM Sim and you'll automatically see you're unlocked. It's just so easy.

It makes me wonder why people fooled around with all of the software unlock options and the Gevey Sims for so long. And worrying about basebands, etc. Why did we ever have to do that?
    Some people don't have a choice unfortunately. I still use gevey sims for people. Not every carrier offers this IMEI unlocking.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,437 Times in 4,285 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Some people don't have a choice unfortunately. I still use gevey sims for people. Not every carrier offers this IMEI unlocking.
    Yeah - I hear ya. But Gevey is still 'baseband specific' - right? There are some phones that can't ever be unlocked - right?

Thanks
    Thanked 14,776 Times in 6,872 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Yeah - I hear ya. But Gevey is still 'baseband specific' - right? There are some phones that can't ever be unlocked - right?
    yup

Thanks
    Thanked 9,517 Times in 5,843 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trials View Post
    Anyone have some suggestions on legit sites that offer unlocks and can vouch for?
    There are about 10 threads about unlocking devises. Is it an AT&T phone?

+ Reply
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516