Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 311

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: AT&T Reportedly Unlocking On-Contract iPhones with Web Form

  1. #281
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Mostly I use officialunlocks.com now, they are a similar company but are US based. Their ATT prices for me are a lot better than anyone else could offer me and their customer service is great. I have done unlocks with them that were done in like 15 minutes. Obviously you have to pay a little more for such fast service but they also have cheaper options available for slower timelines. And I have never once wondered about their legality.
    I will use them in the future. Thanks Mindblown & Simon. I can afford more than $9. And the peace of mind of legality is important to me.

    This is such a helpful place!
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  2. #282
    iPhone? More like MyPhone GADeputy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    135
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    I filled out the AT&T Unlock Request form for my 2 iPhone4's a few days ago. Today I checked with 2 different IMEI checker sites and both of them stated that my phones were unlocked. I then used the SAM utility from Cydia to de-activate my phones and as soon as I ran iTunes I got the message saying my phones were UNLOCKED. Even though we're only a little more than halfway through our 2 year contract they must have decided that since we've been with AT&T for the last 20 years that we weren't ditching them for a different carrier. Now I'll be able to get more $$$$ for them when I go to sell them (after we get 2 new iPhone 5's).

    For those that get a return email stating that they "cannot complete your request because we found no valid current or former mobile or account number for this request" call the phone number that's in the email (800-331-0500) and explain to them that you filled out the online request form but got that weird email response back but it doesn't make sense. I informed them that the only reason I wanted to unlock my iPhones is because we're planning on going to Europe in a few months and I want to use a European sim in our phones after we get there. I told the person that I plan on getting the new iPhone 5's before that so my iPhone 4's would only be used while we're in Europe. I also told them to check our file and they would see that we've been using AT&T forever. They put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back and said that the unlocks would be processed within a few days. That worked for me.
    Last edited by GADeputy; 09-16-2012 at 08:39 PM.
    iPhone 5 16GB
    Firmware 6.1
    Jailbroken with evasi0n

    iPad 3 16GB
    Firmware 6.1
    Jailbroken with evasi0n

  3. #283
    Quote Originally Posted by GADeputy View Post
    I filled out the AT&T Unlock Request form for my 2 iPhone4's a few days ago. Today I checked with 2 different IMEI checker sites and both of them stated that my phones were unlocked. I then used the SAM utility from Cydia to de-activate my phones and as soon as I ran iTunes I got the message saying my phones were UNLOCKED. Even though we're only a little more than halfway through our 2 year contract they must have decided that since we've been with AT&T for the last 20 years that we weren't ditching them for a different carrier. Now I'll be able to get more $$$$ for them when I go to sell them (after we get 2 new iPhone 5's).

    For those that get a return email stating that they "cannot complete your request because we found no valid current or former mobile or account number for this request" call the phone number that's in the email (800-331-0500) and explain to them that you filled out the online request form but got that weird email response back but it doesn't make sense. I informed them that the only reason I wanted to unlock my iPhones is because we're planning on going to Europe in a few months and I want to use a European sim in our phones after we get there. I told the person that I plan on getting the new iPhone 5's before that so my iPhone 4's would only be used while we're in Europe. I also told them to check our file and they would see that we've been using AT&T forever. They put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back and said that then unlock would be processed within a few days. That worked for me.
    Glad the AT&T route worked for you. It hasn't for scores of us. And most of us have your story. Been with AT&T forever - just want prepaid options for travel. That argument actually shouldn't have worked for you very well - because what you're essentially saying to AT&T is that you don't want them to be able to charge you $1.29/minute when you're overseas. They make their biggest profits on overseas calls, texts and data. When you unlock and use a prepaid SIM overseas they lose LOADS of $. So I'm pretty sure THAT wasn't the part of your argument that convinced them - but rather the 'long standing 20 year client' angle.. Actually cellular phones haven't been around for 20 years quite yet - but close.. :-) . BUT -- they got your communication.. LOL!!!!!

    Happy for you!
    Grant

  4. #284
    iPhone? More like MyPhone GADeputy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    135
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Glad the AT&T route worked for you. It hasn't for scores of us. And most of us have your story. Been with AT&T forever - just want prepaid options for travel. That argument actually shouldn't have worked for you very well - because what you're essentially saying to AT&T is that you don't want them to be able to charge you $1.29/minute when you're overseas. They make their biggest profits on overseas calls, texts and data. When you unlock and use a prepaid SIM overseas they lose LOADS of $. So I'm pretty sure THAT wasn't the part of your argument that convinced them - but rather the 'long standing 20 year client' angle.. Actually cellular phones haven't been around for 20 years quite yet - but close.. :-) . BUT -- they got your communication.. LOL!!!!!

    Happy for you!
    Grant
    True, we haven't been with them for 20 years yet but actually were with Cingular that eventually was purchased by AT&T. Probably around 15 or 16 years.
    iPhone 5 16GB
    Firmware 6.1
    Jailbroken with evasi0n

    iPad 3 16GB
    Firmware 6.1
    Jailbroken with evasi0n

  5. #285
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Newnan, GA, USA
    Posts
    163
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    I could say that I've been w/ AT&T for 30+ years. Government regulation forced "Ma' Bell" (AT&T) to split into "Baby Bells," including BellSouth. Much later, AT&T bought BellSouth again...so my family has been with AT&T my whole life (by some interpretation).

  6. #286
    Quote Originally Posted by Shigoroku View Post
    I could say that I've been w/ AT&T for 30+ years. Government regulation forced "Ma' Bell" (AT&T) to split into "Baby Bells," including BellSouth. Much later, AT&T bought BellSouth again...so my family has been with AT&T my whole life (by some interpretation).
    ;-). I, of course, was referring to AT&T Wireless. They have different VP's and Different CFO's.. For all practice purposes they're entirely different companies.

    But I understand what you mean. ;-)
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

  7. #287
    Quote Originally Posted by Shigoroku View Post
    I could say that I've been w/ AT&T for 30+ years. Government regulation forced "Ma' Bell" (AT&T) to split into "Baby Bells," including BellSouth. Much later, AT&T bought BellSouth again...so my family has been with AT&T my whole life (by some interpretation).
    that is a long time bud!

  8. #288
    Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Okay...I'm confused now...

    Swapping SIM Cards DOES work! -The SIM Card in my ip4S that I'm typing on is the same one from my ip4 I got 2 yrs ago.
    -My wife's ip4S was purchased from Craigslist cuz her ip4 got water damaged and I just put in her old SIM.
    -When the ip4 came out, I cut my 3GS SIM and made it work in the ip4!!!

    So why are you two saying that swapping a SIM won't work??? The phone number is attached to the SIM...not the device!!!
    After the iPhone has been activated, you can use any sim as long as it's AT&T. Of course this only apply for locked phone.

  9. #289
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Gabriel, California, United States
    Posts
    46
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Having to jump through so many hoops dealing with AT&T for iPhone 5 upgrade. First, I used my primary line (fall 2010) as an upgrade for a family member because her existing phone was non-functioning and she wasn't due for an upgrade until a year later. This caused a Domino effect where my upgrade date got changed to Fall 2013 and hinders me from getting a device unlock from AT&T for my iPhone 4 that I've been using on primary line since Fall 2010.

    I talked with an AT&T representative today who said that if I were to use a family member's upgrade to get iPhone 5, that I couldn't switch out the SIM card to my primary line for 30 days. Agent kept referring to 30 days as the buyer's remorse period. I gave agent hypothetical situation that if I were using an iPhone 5 and HTC Inspire on one line and wanted to switch from time-to-time to iPhone 5 what would I need to do. Agent said I must wait 30 days before I could use the iPhone 5 SIM on another line and during the 30 day period I could use the iPhone 5 but would be getting my family member's phone calls since it would be provisioned for her phone line.

    This doesn't sound right to me. I'm trying to plot out how I could use Google Voice to round-robin so that we won't get each other's phone calls.

    I'm hoping that since I'm buying the iPhone 5 from an Apple retail store that it won't be a nightmare.

  10. #290
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Newnan, GA, USA
    Posts
    163
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    You can't easily swap SIMs since the iPhone 5 has a nano-SIM.

  11. #291
    Tried the web form to get my 4S unlocked, and got a confusing response, the same as others got: "We cannot complete your request because we found no valid current or former mobile or account number for this request." So I contacted AT&T Support for clarification and the rep said my 4S is not eligible to be unlocked until 10/13/2013. Oh well. It was worth a shot.

  12. #292
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Gabriel, California, United States
    Posts
    46
    Thanks
    36
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Shigoroku View Post
    You can't easily swap SIMs since the iPhone 5 has a nano-SIM.
    I understand the non-swappable SIMs part. I just want to use the iPhone as my primary phone. The other option that AT&T rep offered was that I could get a new line of service with iPhone 5, pay $10/month for 24 months, wait 30 days and then have the iPhone 5 added to my personal line. Looks like I'm going to need to hold on to my iPhone 4 longer than I want.

  13. #293
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Newnan, GA, USA
    Posts
    163
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by MJedi View Post
    Tried the web form to get my 4S unlocked, and got a confusing response, the same as others got: "We cannot complete your request because we found no valid current or former mobile or account number for this request." So I contacted AT&T Support for clarification and the rep said my 4S is not eligible to be unlocked until 10/13/2013. Oh well. It was worth a shot.
    Strangely, I never got any reply at all to my unlock request (other than an acknowledgement saying that I would receive a reply within "5 to 7 business days"). Several days ago, I tried my sister's T-Mobile microSIM in my iPhone 4 and it worked! I still never received a response to my request, even though AT&T unlocked the phone.

    I wonder if some of these "denied" requests were actually approved to unlock?

  14. #294
    Quote Originally Posted by Shigoroku View Post
    Strangely, I never got any reply at all to my unlock request (other than an acknowledgement saying that I would receive a reply within "5 to 7 business days"). Several days ago, I tried my sister's T-Mobile microSIM in my iPhone 4 and it worked! I still never received a response to my request, even though AT&T unlocked the phone.

    I wonder if some of these "denied" requests were actually approved to unlock?
    I guess the difference with you is that you have an iPhone 4, which is already past the 2-year commitment requirement.

  15. #295
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Newnan, GA, USA
    Posts
    163
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts

    I'm not 100% sure, but I think I read something on AT&T's site that seemed to indicate AT&T will unlock phones that are still on commitment. It's restricted to a certain number of devices over a rolling time window (don't remember how many or how long). The requirement should only be that the account is in good standing. The idea is that you can use your unlocked device overseas when you travel.

    Even if your phone is unlocked, AT&T can still charge an ETF if you leave.
    Last edited by Shigoroku; 09-19-2012 at 11:19 PM.

  16. #296
    Quote Originally Posted by Shigoroku View Post
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think I read something on AT&T's site that seemed to indicate AT&T will unlock phones that are still on commitment. It's restricted to a certain number of devices over a rolling time window (don't remember how many or how long). The requirement should only be that the account is in good standing. The idea is that you can use your unlocked device overseas when you travel.

    Even if your phone is unlocked, AT&T can still charge an ETF if you leave.
    Ya when they started the online form thing you could unlock your iPhone 4S through chat and finish it in 5mins. Then after a lot of people requested unlocks they switched over to webform and phone call only. They are also much stricter about the contract policy. The reason they can charge an ETF is cuz it is for terminating your contract, unlocking your iPhone doesn't mean you are exempt from fulfilling your agreement you signed with AT&T.

  17. #297
    Quote Originally Posted by piston597 View Post
    Ya when they started the online form thing you could unlock your iPhone 4S through chat and finish it in 5mins. Then after a lot of people requested unlocks they switched over to webform and phone call only. They are also much stricter about the contract policy. The reason they can charge an ETF is cuz it is for terminating your contract, unlocking your iPhone doesn't mean you are exempt from fulfilling your agreement you signed with AT&T.
    Well said. And yes.. AT&T only did the 'easy' CHAT unlocks for that 'first wave' of people trying to encourage people to upgrade to the 5 - and knowing people would want to sell their phones unlocked for more $. When they saw the response - it was just too much.

    What I find frustrating is that the 'reason' they gave when the 'closed the window' was because of 'still in contract period'. That was a cop out. All the others they EASILY unlocked we also "in CONTRACT period". Uggh..

  18. #298
    Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    Well said. And yes.. AT&T only did the 'easy' CHAT unlocks for that 'first wave' of people trying to encourage people to upgrade to the 5 - and knowing people would want to sell their phones unlocked for more $. When they saw the response - it was just too much.

    What I find frustrating is that the 'reason' they gave when the 'closed the window' was because of 'still in contract period'. That was a cop out. All the others they EASILY unlocked we also "in CONTRACT period". Uggh..
    What I find the most frustrating was the day I unlocked my iPhone 4, and iPhone 4S 1hour later. Then I tried unlocking my other iPhone 4S just 1 hour after the first 4S (I needed the imei number and the phone was with someone) they wouldn't unlock it. After countless chat sess, calls, online forms I gave up, just gonna wait for contract to expire then unlock and switch to another carrier.

  19. #299
    iPhone? More like MyPhone GADeputy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    135
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    Question....... Since I was able to get Apple to unlock my 2 iPhone 4's can I list them as Factory Unlocked when the time comes for me to sell them? Or does factory unlocked refer to them as being purchased that way?
    iPhone 5 16GB
    Firmware 6.1
    Jailbroken with evasi0n

    iPad 3 16GB
    Firmware 6.1
    Jailbroken with evasi0n

  20. #300
    Quote Originally Posted by GADeputy View Post
    Question....... Since I was able to get Apple to unlock my 2 iPhone 4's can I list them as Factory Unlocked when the time comes for me to sell them? Or does factory unlocked refer to them as being purchased that way?
    I would personally call them Factory Unlocked but make sure your condition says: Used.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •