Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Reportedly Unlocking On-Contract iPhones with Web Form

Thanks
    Thanked 15,562 Times in 7,112 Posts

Just to clear up some confusion apple is the one that actually processes the unlocks. It is their server, they do it. However the carrier is the one that has to actually request it. So apple will not lock or unlock a iPhone locked to a certain carrier without their request.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Just to clear up some confusion apple is the one that actually processes the unlocks. It is their server, they do it. However the carrier is the one that has to actually request it. So apple will not lock or unlock a iPhone locked to a certain carrier without their request.
    Like i said, apple can't unlock the phone, even though they do the process, it's useless unless AT&T or any other carrier that has factory lock gives it the go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rcm View Post
    Like i said, apple can't unlock the phone, even though they do the process, it's useless unless AT&T or any other carrier that has factory lock gives it the go.
    yup

Xclusive your problem is AT&T, not the ebay seller, and probably not even the sim card, it's just AT&T messing with you, like i said earlier just go to a AT&T store and talk to the guy,maybe even a supervisor (if your lucky enough to find one) and see if they can sort it our for you.

Thanks

Well I think his issue is somewhat to do with the ebay seller. I have looked into how these IMEI unlocks get done through "unofficial" means and basically came back with two ways.

1: The seller is using people's ATT accounts to request ATT to unlock the phone. This is super cheap for them (free in some cases) which is why they are able to charge such a low fee (this ebay guy is probably in this category). So they have to continually get people's account info through whatever means (ATT retailer maybe) and request them. This is probably why he lists it as a 99.5 percent success rate sice using peoples accounts will mean ATT may be more aware of things that would prevent the unlock from being processed, which may explain why his unlock initially went through but was then reversed.

2: The seller negotiates some kind of deal with a contact or multiple contacts at ATT (or pretty much any carrier) and they pay that contact to submit the IMEI's to Apple. This method will obviously cost the seller more so their prices will be higher but I imagine the success rate will be higher since none of the carrier policies for unlocking will come into play. This is the way I believe the larger IMEI unlocking sites are getting the unlocks done and is definitely the safer, more reliable way.

IMO #2 would be my choice, for a little more money I know I am not going to have the same kind of issues, and will have WAY better customer service. I have seen in multiple places (and have personal experience) dealing with this unlockfusion guy on ebay where it takes him forever to answer a question, if at all.
    Not to mention that someone using other people's ATT accounts to process unlocks is very shady.

for all we know unlock_fusion might be composed of workers of the carriers.

Thanks

for all we know unlock_fusion might be composed of workers of the carriers.
    Hmm, maybe. Guess we have a number 3 lol

Seems Simon is the only one that knows what he's talking about. Like I said, Apple is the one that does the unlocking, I never said they could do it without the carrier's permission. Although they can be tricked into believing that the carrier request it by shady eBay sellers. The whole process is automated otherwise people will be waiting in line forever to get their unlocks. Anyways thanks for that useful information Simon.

RCM, iPhone 4 was the first to be offered to other carrier not 4S btw.

Xclusive your problem is AT&T, not the ebay seller, and probably not even the sim card, it's just AT&T messing with you, like i said earlier just go to a AT&T store and talk to the guy,maybe even a supervisor (if your lucky enough to find one) and see if they can sort it our for you.
    I'm sure going to AT&T and telling them about my situation would be a very bad idea.
    Last edited by xclusiveiphone; 09-16-2012 at 10:47 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It has been days since I put in my request and I never heard back from AT&T. Just tried my sister's T-Mobile microSIM in my AT&T phone and it worked! Didn't have to connect to a PC or restore / wipe anything.

Sweet!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Submitted it and got an email 2 days later stating, We cannot complete your request because we found no valid current or former mobile or account number for this request.

I have seen in multiple places (and have personal experience) dealing with this unlockfusion guy on ebay where it takes him forever to answer a question, if at all.
    Not to mention that someone using other people's ATT accounts to process unlocks is very shady.
    Well, Simon, I have to say this is pretty distressing to hear at this juncture since one of my first concerns here was the 'legit' nature of this. Your #1 method there is illegal - by every way toy look at it - and both you and Cadi have been affirming this as a legit place. I'm rather distressed hearing this now after the fact. Just because a service 'works' doesn't mean it should be supported. If what you're saying is true it's as bad as supporting piracy on the forum.

I will use one of the more costly unlock services in the future.

Thanks for the insight and honesty but I feel pretty misled. :-(

I think it would be in ModMyi's best interest to not 'recommend' this seller anymore.
    Here to help if I can. If I can't I know someone who can!

Personally, paying more will not guarantee that the seller use method 2 because their goal is to profit as much as possible off one sale.

Quote Originally Posted by xclusiveiphone View Post
    Seems Simon is the only one that knows what he's talking about. Like I said, Apple is the one that does the unlocking, I never said they could do it without the carrier's permission. Although they can be tricked into believing that the carrier request it by shady eBay sellers. The whole process is automated otherwise people will be waiting in line forever to get their unlocks. Anyways thanks for that useful information Simon.

RCM, iPhone 4 was the first to be offered to other carrier not 4S btw.

I'm sure going to AT&T and telling them about my situation would be a very bad idea.
    yeah didn't think too much on that one, I'm just trying to help because honestly i just don't get the problem might be, i personally was able to unlock, and that was after AT&T denied my request so i went with ebay. I hope you can find a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by xclusiveiphone View Post
    Personally, paying more will not guarantee that the seller use method 2 because their goal is to profit as much as possible off one sale.
    But the odds are way better. And 'legit' is important to me. I don't mind getting around AT&T's senseless stranglehold on phones in good standing bill-wise - but I DO mind a methodology where a vendor is illegally accessing accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by NewdestinyX View Post
    But the odds are way better. And 'legit' is important to me. I don't mind getting around AT&T's senseless stranglehold on phones in good standing bill-wise - but I DO mind a methodology where a vendor is illegally accessing accounts.
    Agreed.

Thanks

Well, Simon, I have to say this is pretty distressing to hear at this juncture since one of my first concerns here was the 'legit' nature of this. Your #1 method there is illegal - by every way toy look at it - and both you and Cadi have been affirming this as a legit place. I'm rather distressed hearing this now after the fact. Just because a service 'works' doesn't mean it should be supported. If what you're saying is true it's as bad as supporting piracy on the forum.

I will use one of the more costly unlock services in the future.

Thanks for the insight and honesty but I feel pretty misled. :-(

I think it would be in ModMyi's best interest to not 'recommend' this seller anymore.
    All we have said is that it worked. Not sure how that can be construed as misleading. None of us knew (and still are not sure) exactly how it gets done and which methods each seller uses. At the end of the day this is being sold on ebay, so trying to equate it with piracy doesn't really work. I for one have always preferred to use the larger companies and still do. I have a contact with one of them and he is the one that gave me some insight into the different methods that may or not be used by the various sellers. We don't know if unlockfusion is using method 1. We don't even know for sure if that is really a method out there.
    In any case the "legitimacy" of it can be called into play in all of the methods outside applying to ATT directly to have it unlocked. #1 is just further down the "wrong path" so to speak than #2.

This thread has gotten so far off the actual topic, and it has gotten so "he said/she said," that I've unsubscribed to it. Let's all move on.
    Senior

Moving on.
    Xclusive, I owe you an apology. You're still not operating with the correct definition of "scammer" where 0% of people get what they pay for. But you've had legitimate problems with this seller that should call into question the reliability of his service and more importantly his methods.

Thanks Simon and Blkcadi and everyone for their help. I'm unlocked and thankful for it. I will not use UnlockFusion again.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mindblown's Avatar
    Thanks

indeed it is.
    Offical iphone unlock- these guys uses method 2 and its definetly legit, i used it on my girls iphone 4 two days before july 4th and got it on the 4th. it was pricey as hell before, i payed $100+ before but it was worth it but now they have lowered the price. they use pounds as their currency, before it was 69 pounds for an unlock iphone 4 locked to at&t US but now its 34.99 pounds (about $58). that price is the same for 4S too.
    for customer service, these guys are great with it. they have a facebook page, so if you use facebook you can "like" them. they are constantly talking about doing deals with different carriers. i also know a few users on here used them as well.

so with all that said @xclusiveiphone, i would just stop right now and use another unlock service. calling won't get you anywhere, its better to see at&t or apple in person but i dont know what you would say about the unlock since they can see (info) everthing on their side. im not saying to use what i stated by all means use it if you want or find another unlock service just do some research on that particular service though. but when or if you do use another unlock service, unlock 1 phone first not 2, try it out first.

anyways credits to Simon because i got that site from him on another thread..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mindblown View Post
    indeed it is.
    Offical iphone unlock- these guys uses method 2 and its definetly legit, i used it on my girls iphone 4 two days before july 4th and got it on the 4th. it was pricey as hell before, i payed $100+ before but it was worth it but now they have lowered the price. they use pounds as their currency, before it was 69 pounds for an unlock iphone 4 locked to at&t US but now its 34.99 pounds (about $58). that price is the same for 4S too.
    for customer service, these guys are great with it. they have a facebook page, so if you use facebook you can "like" them. they are constantly talking about doing deals with different carriers. i also know a few users on here used them as well.

so with all that said @xclusiveiphone, i would just stop right now and use another unlock service. calling won't get you anywhere, its better to see at&t or apple in person but i dont know what you would say about the unlock since they can see (info) everthing on their side. im not saying to use what i stated by all means use it if you want or find another unlock service just do some research on that particular service though. but when or if you do use another unlock service, unlock 1 phone first not 2, try it out first.

anyways credits to Simon because i got that site from him on another thread..
    Yup, they were the first ones I used dating back to May I believe. Good company and can get the job done or will refund you if they cant for whatever reason. Mostly I use officialunlocks.com now, they are a similar company but are US based. Their ATT prices for me are a lot better than anyone else could offer me and their customer service is great. I have done unlocks with them that were done in like 15 minutes. Obviously you have to pay a little more for such fast service but they also have cheaper options available for slower timelines. And I have never once wondered about their legality.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast