Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Reportedly in the Works of a Music Streaming Service

Default Apple Reportedly in the Works of a Music Streaming Service

Apple is well known for their both famous and infamous Music client – iTunes. It’s famous because it’s entirely successful and well known, but infamous because so many people hate that it is the only tool we can use with our iOS devices.

iTunes allows us to keep libraries of our media including music, videos, ringtones, applications, and more; however, this is just the one weakness of iTunes, as it requires you have a storage space-snatching library. Third party services such as Spotify, Grooveshark, and Pandora have all helped to bypass this problem, by letting us stream music instead of having to download it to listen to it. They have become increasingly popular among users and even have their own App Store applications (Grooveshark is available in Cydia), which are free.

Fortunately, a new report by the Wall Street Journal shines light on Apple’s intentions to begin a music-streaming service that may function just like these popular third party music-streaming clients. The idea behind the project being that it’s convenient to use, uses less storage space, and offers a huge database of music on the fly. With the huge popularity of streaming music over the Internet, it's about time that Apple got with the picture.

There is no word yet on whether Apple will charge to use the service or offer it for free to all users. If it were free, there is a good chance that like Pandora, users would have to listen to ads or be limited with music skipping. If the service is paid, users may be able to skip through all the music they wish and not have to listen to any ads, similarly to Spotify’s service.

It sure will be interesting to see if Apple comes out with a new application for the feature or if they will integrate it into iTunes; this would limit the feature to iOS devices, Mac computers, and possibly Windows machines. Apple is still currently in talks about the idea with record companies so the project may be a long way off, but expect more news on the matter in the near future.

Sources: Wall Street Journal via MacRumors
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 09-06-2012 at 07:52 PM.

This could be interesting.

Doesn't desktop iTunes have a "radio" section?

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    I'm guessing the article is talking about a mobile app.

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    Yeah, but I'll admit myself that I'm not impressed with it. I'm interested to see what Apple can dish out to supersede it.

They're definitely in the works of something 'new.'

I know it's not great. I just thought it was worth mentioning.

I think apple will just let you listen to your own "purchased" music over a stream on demand.

I hope they don't integrate this service with iTunes. It really is a terrible program. It's very crash happy and only seems to get slower with every update. Then it tries to take over your computer and open whenever it can, and change itself to the default media player. Oh and then it tries to annoy you with updates every 2 weeks, and hopes that when you do update, you accidentally install safari or some other software in their update program.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,857 Times in 1,236 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    I think apple will just let you listen to your own "purchased" music over a stream on demand.
    Isn't that what iTunes Match is for???

Via Apple Website
    "With iTunes Match, all your music — even songs you’ve imported from CDs — can be stored in iCloud. So you can access your music from all your devices and listen to your entire library, wherever you are."

The catch is...it'll cost you to use iTunes Match...

This new music feature sounds more like Pandora, I❤Radio, Yahoo Music, etc.

I don't see how this will be good for them. Also for the record companies who make millions off iTunes downloads.

They should then make an iTunes build for linux...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    Isn't that what iTunes Match is for???

Via Apple Website
    "With iTunes Match, all your music — even songs you’ve imported from CDs — can be stored in iCloud. So you can access your music from all your devices and listen to your entire library, wherever you are."
    Kind of right. iTunes Match allows you to ACCESS your music via iCloud on all your devices BUT you still have to download it to your device (taking up storage space) before you can actually listen to it. This seems like it would be more similar to pandora, I❤Radio etc where you can listen without actually downloading the music.

And fyi, iTunes Match is specifically for content NOT purchased from iTunes i.e. imported from cd's or wherever. Anything purchased from iTunes is already accessible through iCloud free of charge.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,857 Times in 1,236 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrNewbdude View Post
    Kind of right. iTunes Match allows you to ACCESS your music via iCloud on all your devices BUT you still have to download it to your device (taking up storage space) before you can actually listen to it. This seems like it would be more similar to pandora, I❤Radio etc where you can listen without actually downloading the music.

And fyi, iTunes Match is specifically for content NOT purchased from iTunes i.e. imported from cd's or wherever. Anything purchased from iTunes is already accessible through iCloud free of charge.
    Are u sure about that? I was under the impression that iTunes Match stores 'all' your music (assuming u pay to upload your non-iTunes content) in iCloud.

Using iCloud, it holds and streams your music which frees up your device's memory. The only hitch is when you want to listen to your music in an area w/out wifi and/or cell service. If you know your heading to a 'dead-zone' then you would download your specific iCloud songs to ur device prior to heading out.

Otherwise, your music stays in the cloud waiting to be accessed AND it will probably 'play' at a higher quality since Apple matches your music w/ their database and attempts to stream the best version they have of that particular song.

If I'm wrong, please let me/us know! Thanx!
    Last edited by thazsar; 09-06-2012 at 11:42 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post

If I'm wrong, please let me/us know! Thanx!
    From the website,

"With iTunes in the Cloud, the music you buy from the iTunes Store automatically appears on all your devices.1 And for music you haven’t purchased from iTunes, iTunes Match is the perfect solution."

The verbiage on the website is a little confusing. You can stream on a Mac, but not on a iOS device...until iOS 6!

The 5th iTunes Match FAQ explains it much more clearly,

“Does iTunes Match stream or download songs?

On a computer, any songs stored in iCloud will stream over the air when played, though you can download them at any time by clicking the iCloud download button. iOS devices will start playing tracks from iCloud as they download and will store them so that you can listen to them later even if you don’t have a network connection. Apple TV only streams songs."

A few weeks from now and you will be right

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
    I hope they don't integrate this service with iTunes. It really is a terrible program. It's very crash happy and only seems to get slower with every update. Then it tries to take over your computer and open whenever it can, and change itself to the default media player. Oh and then it tries to annoy you with updates every 2 weeks, and hopes that when you do update, you accidentally install safari or some other software in their update program.
    I've had no problems with iTunes on my Windows machine. With 30 seconds of your time and a little bit of brain power you can make it not be the default player. As for updates, get over it. People are always complaining about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by GooseG View Post
    I've had no problems with iTunes on my Windows machine. With 30 seconds of your time and a little bit of brain power you can make it not be the default player.
    Then you are obviously the lucky one. Everyone I personally know who uses itunes on Windows gets all kinds of crashes. And yes, I know how to make it not the default player, but I'm not the only one who uses the computer, and people always seem to manage to unwittingly switch it.

Quote Originally Posted by GooseG View Post
    As for updates, get over it. People are always complaining about nothing.
    Real good argument there.

Thanks

I hope its like Pandora with ads to pay instead of subscription based payments by users.

Then you are obviously the lucky one. Everyone I personally know who uses itunes on Windows gets all kinds of crashes. And yes, I know how to make it not the default player, but I'm not the only one who uses the computer, and people always seem to manage to unwittingly switch it.
    I'll vouch for him. No problems with iTunes for me either.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    I'll vouch for him. No problems with iTunes for me either.
    Well I guess they could have fixed the crashes, as I don't use it anymore except for communicating with my iPod. I just know that it used to crash a lot back a few years. If they did fix it, that's wonderful, although I still don't prefer the interface. That's just personal opinion though.

Well I guess they could have fixed the crashes, as I don't use it anymore except for communicating with my iPod. I just know that it used to crash a lot back a few years. If they did fix it, that's wonderful, although I still don't prefer the interface. That's just personal opinion though.
    Yeah, when I had a Windows computer, the only problem was Windows. iTunes worked great on it.
    And updates can be good. Most of the times it fixes the crashing and security problems. So it's good to update and just not complain, because in the end, Apple's just trying to improve. Once you're over Apple, you can stop the continuous updates.