+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Likely to Drop iPhone 3GS, Offer 8GB iPhone 4S After iPhone 5 is Launched

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
When Apple launched the iPhone 4S last year, they made the iPhone 3GS free with a contract and offered the iPhone 4 in 8GB for $99 across cellular providers. For
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Apple Likely to Drop iPhone 3GS, Offer 8GB iPhone 4S After iPhone 5 is Launched

When Apple launched the iPhone 4S last year, they made the iPhone 3GS free with a contract and offered the iPhone 4 in 8GB for $99 across cellular providers. For the release of the iPhone 5, which is expected to be unveiled next Wednesday, September 12, Apple is expected to drop the iPhone 3GS as the free iPhone with a contract and replace it with the iPhone 4, while the iPhone 4S is expected to be downgraded to a minimal 8GB of storage, replacing the iPhone 4 across cellular providers. This makes room for the iPhone 5 to take the throne as the newest and greatest iPhone to date.

If Apple does release an 8GB iPhone 4S, it will be $99 with a contract. The iPhone 5, as the current generation iPhone would be traditionally $199 with a contract for the bare minimum storage option and the price will only increase as you choose between 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB of storage.

Before Apple announced the September 12 iPhone 5 event, there was a shortage of iPhone 3GS units in Apple Stores, which was a major indicator that the iPhone 3GS will no longer be in production. Oddly enough, the iPhone 3GS will still support iOS 6, however it's not known how much longer the iPhone 3GS is expected to remain up-to-date on software updates.

With Apple's heavy push on development for the retina display and ending the use of non-retina display images in developers' apps, it makes perfect sense to say goodbye to the iPhone 3GS. The iPhone 4 was the first of Apple’s products to launch with the retina display and the App Store has almost completely converted to retina display support. Apple appears to be standardizing the retina display in their products as they release new devices – it is now present in not only the iPhone, but also the iPod touch, iPad, and now even the MacBook Pro.

If this rumor turns out to be true, anyone looking to save money on an iPhone upgrade can choose the iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S and still be able to enjoy iOS 6 – the iPhone 4 will have less of iOS 6’s features than the iPhone 4S has. It's a decent option for anyone that the new features of the iPhone 5 don't appeal to.

Sources: MacRumors; Image via BusinessInsider
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 09-06-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 724 Posts

Good out with the old in with the new

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Correction u tell us august 12 but it should be september 12!?! Cant wait!!

rcm
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i wish they would offer their recycle plan to iphone 4 users and not 4s users only

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rcm View Post
    i wish they would offer their recycle plan to iphone 4 users and not 4s users only
    My recycle plan is called eBay

Thanks
    Thanked 1,857 Times in 860 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    My recycle plan is called eBay
    +1

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

To me, an 8 gig 4S would be a waste. Too little space. Photos and videos would have to be dumped weekly at the least lol.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iRevival View Post
    To me, an 8 gig 4S would be a waste. Too little space. Photos and videos would have to be dumped weekly at the least lol.
    Same, I want my whole music collection on my iDevice which is about 11 GB. You never know what songs you want to listen to.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teej1410 View Post
    Same, I want my whole music collection on my iDevice which is about 11 GB. You never know what songs you want to listen to.
    Is space really a problem?

It looks to me like Apple is planning for the future; not for the present:
    Apple, iPhone and iPad News | ModMyi - Apple Reportedly in the Works of a Music Streaming Service

Thanks

It makes absolutely no sense at all to make the 3gs able to run ios6 just to discontinue it when the iphone 5 comes out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    It makes absolutely no sense at all to make the 3gs able to run ios6 just to discontinue it when the iphone 5 comes out.
    Apple have done this time and again made the old phone run latest software only to say it will be its last!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Wow, that 3GS looks very sad. Been using it as a hockey puck?

Thanks

It is natural progression. I mean most companies stop making phone models after there normal shelf life. We are going on 3 generations after the 3GS..it is time. Why would anyone want old tech? I guess im always wanting new tech so i just don't get it other than the $$. Oh well to each his/her own..happy shopping.

Thanks

Finnallllyyyy!!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've seen several iPhone 4 users who sold their phone for the new iPhone5, apple declared that they will no longer produce 3gs.