Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 5 May Cost Android, BlackBerry Dearly

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default iPhone 5 May Cost Android, BlackBerry Dearly

The impact on the smartphone landscape could be significant for Android and BlackBerry once the iPhone 5 is released later this month. That's according to a rash of new reports indicating that demand for Apple's refreshed iPhone will be a market-mover for sure.

Bright and early Wednesday morning, comScore released data from its latest MobiLens service. The findings still show Android as the top smartphone platform with a 52.2 percent market share. But Apple is hanging tough at 33.4 percent. Unfortunately for BlackBerry, the embattled smartphone now holds a scant 9.5 percent share.

From the looks of it, Android and BlackBerry will suffer further losses as 2012 winds to a close. A new infographic from TechBargains tells us that nearly 75 percent of current iPhone 4 owners will plunk down their cash for a new iPhone 5. More importantly, of course, is what Android and BlackBerry device owners will do.

38 percent of BlackBerry owners will switch to the new iPhone. So will 32 percent of people who don't currently own a smartphone. And a very significant chunk of Android phone owners (22 percent) will also make the jump to iPhone 5. Without question, those sound like bold projections. But if they manifest, Apple will be enjoying a position of dominance in the smartphone space never before experienced by the iDevice pioneer.

Sources: comScore, TechBargains

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

for a month or two, then all the Android phone makers and Blackberry will come out with their latest and greatest to get it back.
    I see so many people who is switching to S3 right now, don't even bother to wait for the new iPhone. Don't bother to wait because there is nothing really new coming, just different look but basically function and feel the same.

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    for a month or two, then all the Android phone makers and Blackberry will come out with their latest and greatest to get it back.
    I see so many people who is switching to S3 right now, don't even bother to wait for the new iPhone. Don't bother to wait because there is nothing really new coming, just different look but basically function and feel the same.
    Regrettably, I agree. Also, if you buy an S3, you can do what you want with it from day one. Who knows if/when there's ever going to be a jailbreak for this new iPhone that looks basically like your 4/4S, but is just a bit longer and therefore more awkward to carry around. The only real benefit of elongating the phone is to allow 16:9 movie playback without cropping - except I don't watch movies on a phone. Plus, what a dumb name (iPhone 5). It'd be embarrassing to buy a phone from a company that can't handle basic arithmetic. Plus, for anybody travelling internationally, Verizon LTE is useless to you, because nobody else uses their frequencies. Plus, domestically AT&T's LTE is useless too, because it only covers about 0.000001% of the US. (And poor Sprint - their LTE only covers a couple of sheds in northern Nebraska.) I'm kind of sad about this, because I'd consider myself an Apple fanboy, but I'm going to be jumping in the other direction (GS3 instead of iPhone 5).

Banned
    Thanks

I doubt the iPhone 5 will do much. With the way Apple have been treating everyone else it looks like the other phones will be selling more.
    I would laugh if the Galaxy S3 sold more the week the iPhone 5 was released. LOL

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by csglinux View Post
    Regrettably, I agree. Also, if you buy an S3, you can do what you want with it from day one. Who knows if/when there's ever going to be a jailbreak for this new iPhone that looks basically like your 4/4S, but is just a bit longer and therefore more awkward to carry around. The only real benefit of elongating the phone is to allow 16:9 movie playback without cropping - except I don't watch movies on a phone. Plus, what a dumb name (iPhone 5). It'd be embarrassing to buy a phone from a company that can't handle basic arithmetic. Plus, for anybody travelling internationally, Verizon LTE is useless to you, because nobody else uses their frequencies. Plus, domestically AT&T's LTE is useless too, because it only covers about 0.000001% of the US. (And poor Sprint - their LTE only covers a couple of sheds in northern Nebraska.) I'm kind of sad about this, because I'd consider myself an Apple fanboy, but I'm going to be jumping in the other direction (GS3 instead of iPhone 5).
    And yet they will sell millions and break records doing it. Its crazy

Lack of supply and the possiblity of needing a nano sim will slow down the sales of the iPhone 5, everyone I know has already upgraded from their iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 to the GS3, I'm the only one in my group of friends who has stuck with my iPhone 4 and I don't see much from the iPhone 5 to motivate me to upgrade

Apple takes all their competition to court. Of course they will dominate!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy91 View Post
    We will see how it compares to the previous sales.
    There is not as much hype on the iPhone 5 as we have seen before, not as many people talking about it either.

Thanks

^^you have a valid point unison999. They are grabbing what they perceive to be "the best in the market" at this particular time. Yes many will purchase the new iPhone and then Android will make a copy haha! Although..it will be interesting to see if they take the proper course of action, so as not to "copy" Apple's iPhone and incur the deadly Court Games that are never going to end..we shall see!

No as you just said.. the Sll & Slll & Sl ..neither have majjor updates.. other tha Hardware.. so you have no point of telling people what to wait for or not...
    Having the NFC, AMOLED or whatever tech on your phone but if your OS is a sh*t... the phone will remain a sh*t..
    Android is the stupiest OS ever seen. By the look of its GUI, the way everyone can go in and develop something and with no rules... Apps being submitted without checking for Trash/ Bugs/ Hacks/ Malware etc.....An OS that is everywhere even in the CHEEPEST phone from $1 in CHINA..

Where is the respect for your OS ? Spreading an OS like its a B*tch... Being everywhere doesnt meen your good and performing good. You need to respect your self..they need to stop spreading Android to what ever device they find.. make the think a Great OS...Thats why ist so Buggy and Malware vurilnable

Is no one else as excited about the new Lumia 920 as me? That thing is slick. Wireless charging, HD display, LTE, NFC, Windows Phone 8, and pureview camera. That thing is loaded.

I feel like these figures are extremely optimistic but what do I know?

iPhone? More like MyPhone ferris419's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyepoper View Post
    No as you just said.. the Sll & Slll & Sl ..neither have majjor updates.. other tha Hardware.. so you have no point of telling people what to wait for or not...
    Having the NFC, AMOLED or whatever tech on your phone but if your OS is a sh*t... the phone will remain a sh*t..
    Android is the stupiest OS ever seen. By the look of its GUI, the way everyone can go in and develop something and with no rules... Apps being submitted without checking for Trash/ Bugs/ Hacks/ Malware etc.....An OS that is everywhere even in the CHEEPEST phone from $1 in CHINA..

Where is the respect for your OS ? Spreading an OS like its a B*tch... Being everywhere doesnt meen your good and performing good. You need to respect your self..they need to stop spreading Android to what ever device they find.. make the think a Great OS...Thats why ist so Buggy and Malware vurilnable
    +1 android OS is SH*T

Quote Originally Posted by DampDesigns View Post
    Is no one else as excited about the new Lumia 920 as me? That thing is slick. Wireless charging, HD display, LTE, NFC, Windows Phone 8, and pureview camera. That thing is loaded.
    Lol windows....

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    I doubt the iPhone 5 will do much. With the way Apple have been treating everyone else it looks like the other phones will be selling more.
    I would laugh if the Galaxy S3 sold more the week the iPhone 5 was released. LOL
    You troll, STOP coming to this site with a builtin hostility in your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    We will see how it compares to the previous sales.
    There is not as much hype on the iPhone 5 as we have seen before, not as many people talking about it either.
    That's right, iPhone release is no longer that exciting to everyone, since there are more and more really competitive products released every month. However, iPhone 5 will still sell better than iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. That's called "Inertia".
    Last edited by tongxinshe; 09-05-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ferris419 View Post
    +1 android OS is SH*T
    Yeah...that's why jailbreakers have tweaks that let them do what a stock Android phone can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy91 View Post
    It is my understanding that this is the last iPhone that Steve Jobs worked on. That should cause all of the fan boys to by them by the dozen.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ferris419's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gehjl View Post
    Yeah...that's why jailbreakers have tweaks that let them do what a stock Android phone can do.
    then get an android ....i have had many android devices and every single device worked great for about a year and gradually got slower and slower and from day one always forced closed apps on me ..... this iphone 4 is the first iphone ive owned and its still working like day 1 and has never forced closed an app on me ... so go ahead and buy your android phone and do all the things an iphone wont do without a jailbreak.....

Quote Originally Posted by DampDesigns View Post
    I'm with ya buddy!

HAHAHA!!!! I am not so sure this is true. Will Apple outsell Android and BB? Most likely. But I find it highly unlikely Apple will "cost Android and BB dearly".

Many current iPhone users I talk to say they are "Seriously" looking to drop Apple and move to an Android device. A few have said they might move to Windows phone. They, like me, are sick of the lack of choice. Every upgrade is so insignificant that it sometimes makes no sense to upgrade. I am no Fanboy by any stretch of the imagination, but I LOVE my iPhone. I would love to upgrade to the iPhone 5 but so far the only improvement that appears to be coming is a slightly faster processor and ever so slightly larger screen.

The look of the phone doesnt need to really change. I think it looks great the way it is. The stretched size doesnt turn me off at all. Its still too small for me though. I will need to see a few HUGE improvements in software in order to take my eyes back from an Android device. I want to see the ability to have widgets and would really like to have live wallpapers. I know these can be done through jailbreak tweeks but I want them on a stock iPhone. I dont like having to have all my apps clogging up the screen.

The problem with Apple is that so many people will buy whatever they put out so there is no real incentive for them to be innovative and advance the technology. Many people I talk to agree with me and this could mean trouble for Apple.

Thats my opinion. If the Fanboys dont like it, oh well. People can have different opinions without being haters or Fandroids.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast