+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Over One Million iOS Device UDIDs Leaked By Hackers

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If you have an iOS device, your UDID may have been leaked to the public today. A group of hackers commonly known as Antisec have exploited a file on the
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Over One Million iOS Device UDIDs Leaked By Hackers

If you have an iOS device, your UDID may have been leaked to the public today. A group of hackers commonly known as Antisec have exploited a file on the computer of an FBI agent to leak over one million out of 12 million unique device identifiers (UDID) that were present in the file that was on the computer. The massacre certainly raises eyebrows as to why the FBI agent had all of these UDIDs on his or her computer and the breach displays why it wasn't the best idea for security purposes.

Posted on Pastebin by Antisec late last night, Antisec explains what happened:

Quote Originally Posted by Antisec
    During the second week of March 2012, a Dell Vostro notebook, used by Supervisor Special Agent Christopher K. Stangl from FBI Regional Cyber Action Team and New York FBI Office Evidence Response Team was breached using the AtomicReferenceArray vulnerability on Java, during the shell session some files were downloaded from his Desktop folder one of them with the name of "NCFTA_iOS_devices_intel.csv" turned to be a list of 12,367,232 Apple iOS devices including Unique Device Identifiers (UDID), user names, name of device, type of device, Apple Push Notification Service tokens, zipcodes, cellphone numbers, addresses, etc.
    The file that Antisec reportedly breached also included a lot more personal information such as first and last names, addresses, phone numbers, and more. Luckily, it doesn’t appear as though the hackers have dispersed this kind of detailed information to the public.

UDIDs are different for every single iOS device and developers have used them in the past to gain anonymous information about devices for their applications. UDIDs can be used to gain information about your device such as the device type, device name, and much more personal information.

The leak is a disturbing move for many that has caused a great deal of unease for Apple device users, which are worried about their personal security and identity. If you’re one of the worried iOS device users, TheNextWeb has created a Web-based program that can check your UDID against those leaked to see if you were one of the many that were exploited from this file on the FBI agent’s computer. TheNextWeb claims that the program will not record your UDID, only compare it with the database. Additionally, you can enter just a fraction of your UDID if you’re worried about security.

Sources: AppleInsider

Thanks
    Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,027 Posts

Love these guys.

They VERY rarely do anything with intel they gather to do anything benevolent to the public. The move was more than likely a "statement" rather than an act of violence against iOS device users.

Thanks

What a bunch of ******'*!! They should be rounded up and shot! What stupid stunt and one of them will get $$ in their eyes and the info will be sold! Still what was the FBI doing with this info??

Green Apple
    Thanks

What bothers me the most is that the FBI had the information. I think
    It's good that this was brought to light. Clearly the FBI is up to something to want all this information. Spying on us possibly? Who knows, but I know something more is up

Green Apple
    Thanks
    so wtf is fbi's response as to why it was all on there?

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 722 Posts

"It's not about the UDIDs
    It's about sending a message"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twentythreemx View Post
    so wtf is fbi's response as to why it was all on there?
    Predictably, they denied ever being a part of it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ever heard of the Patriot Act? I'm guessing that if you tap someone's phone, their UDID is a great way to track the data gained.

In case you didn't know, the fed can tap any phone without a warrant these days. It was supposed to keep us safe from terrorism... Colorado proved that the violation of our freedom doesn't make us any safer.

rcm
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It's the FBI, it's their job to know what were doing, and chances are Apple is the one that gave them the numbers to begin with, my issue is with the hackers that think they are doing a favor to anyone with this, just erase the entire info and screw the FBI, why do we have to suffer for it?

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rcm View Post
    It's the FBI, it's their job to know what were doing, and chances are Apple is the one that gave them the numbers to begin with, my issue is with the hackers that think they are doing a favor to anyone with this, just erase the entire info and screw the FBI, why do we have to suffer for it?
    Umm how are we suffering for it?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Not over 1million... over 12million "a list of 12,367,232 Apple iOS devices"

Thanks

I NEw it!!!! trust me the feds are spying on all devices not just iphones, droids as well this is there way of keeping and eye on Americans for there data base for up coming events...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Guess I need to take a look at the Samsung.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HotBlack View Post
    A list of 1 million was leaked. Over 12 million were obtained.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HotBlack View Post
    12 million were stolen. 1,000,001 were leaked.

Thanks

Begs the question, what does Apple use UDID numbers for? I know the developer community use UDID numbers as part of iOS application development a-la-iOS 6 beta 4 etc... I did check my devices partial UDID numbers from The Next Web website - and they aren't on the list thankfully. Bit scary though.

Also makes me wonder what information Apple have access to besides whats stored with your Apple ID...

Thanks

So is this only USA or out of USA as well ? What they can do with this id

Just a question but I know it's unique id of our iPhone but what can be done....? Thanks

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mortopher View Post
    Umm how are we suffering for it?
    you dont know what udids are do you.. well youve never used them for developing etc.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey iPhone 5 or 6 whatever is coming, new UDIDs for everybody...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mrteacup View Post
    you dont know what udids are do you.. well youve never used them for developing etc.
    Please explain.