Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bruce Willis is Not Planning to Invade Cupertino and Secure His iTunes Collection

Default Bruce Willis is Not Planning to Invade Cupertino and Secure His iTunes Collection

Turns out Bruce Willis isn’t invoking his inner Die Hard, and likely doesn’t care what happens to his iTunes music collection.

For those who missed it, and I’m sur many of you did, numerous UK tabloids like The Daily Mail and The Sun reported that Willis was planning to sue Apple over who would inherit the actor’s massive music collection when he dies. Willis was “reportedly looking into setting up trusts” to act as legal “holders” and even looked into possibly suing Apple to make sure the music stayed in the family according to CNET.

However, Emma Heming-Willis (Bruce’s wife) debunked the story via Twitter today replying to a fans tweet that “it’s not a true story.” Parade officially rained on.

But, the story did bring to light an important question: “Who gets my digital crap when I die?” Apparently iTunes and Amazon users who purchase content through their media services are only “indefinitely renting” the content and do not actually own anything. So I guess the question is, when does indefinitely end? Your death?

Obviously no one is investing their fortunes in digital goods in hopes that they’ll someday appreciate in value and act as a digital fortune for their heirs. But, maybe someday, that content will be be valuable enough to warrant the discussion, especially as physical media continues to die out.

Source: CNET

Banned
    Thanks

When I pay for something I'TS MINE!
    If I buy a song from iTunes I do what I WANT with it NOT what Apple tells me to do.
    If I want to transfer it to a different MP3 player then I will as I PAID for it so I can do whatever I like with it.
    As I have the file I can remove the protection as its on MY computer and I can do whatever I like to anything on MY computer.
    Apple have NO rights to my files after I paid for them.
    IF they want to give them to me for free then ok, they can have an agreement but as money has changed hands its now MINE.

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    If I buy a song from iTunes I do what I WANT with it NOT what Apple tells me to do.
    If I want to transfer it to a different MP3 player then I will as I PAID for it so I can do whatever I like with it.
    As I have the file I can remove the protection as its on MY computer and I can do whatever I like to anything on MY computer.
    IF they want to give them to me for free then ok, they can have an agreement but as money has changed hands its now MINE.
    +Infinity

As physical media dies, it's value is going up I hope. But I must of missed iTunes fine print cause I didn't know it was called "infinity renting" it always says purchase when I buy a song
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

You can say mine all you want. You can have it all caps, or in bold or extra large and it will make no difference. When you purchased something from iTunes, or any of the other online media services, you agreed to the terms and conditions. So whilst it is true you can do whatever you like that doesn't make it legal and you certainly won't be complying with the terms and conditions. Just to be clear since you singled out iTunes, and conveniently overlooked that Amazon was also mentioned, that most of these services have similar terms and conditions. Ie personal use only, you can't make as many copies as you like etc

Oh and it is no different for print media. You can't buy a book and legally photocopy it. Limitations have always been placed on what you can do with something you paid for and supposedly "own". Different rules for different countries of course.

Quote Originally Posted by MXCO View Post
    As physical media dies, it's value is going up I hope. But I must of missed iTunes fine print cause I didn't know it was called "infinity renting" it always says purchase when I buy a song
    I'm not sure where in the terms and conditions it says "infinity renting". I certainly couldn't find it but it is a big document o.O What it does say is purchases have limitations such as how many electronic and physical copies you can make of your purchase. There are terms and conditions for many countries, so maybe the renting thing is hidden in there somewhere.
    Last edited by runey71; 09-03-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Couldn't agree with you more.

I am a online shopper this is my manifesto.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedfaerie View Post
    when i pay for something i'ts mine!
    If i buy a song from itunes i do what i want with it not what apple tells me to do.
    If i want to transfer it to a different mp3 player then i will as i paid for it so i can do whatever i like with it.
    As i have the file i can remove the protection as its on my computer and i can do whatever i like to anything on my computer.
    Apple have no rights to my files after i paid for them.
    If they want to give them to me for free then ok, they can have an agreement but as money has changed hands its now mine.
    amen to that!!!

Your mom has "spirit" but I used my "pwnage tool" on her all night long and "ultrasn0wed" all over her. haha

All these questions can be answered if one person actually decides to read the terms and agreements..

Do you thinks that blockbuster haves no right to the movie you renteds from them? Could you makes an hundred copied of the DVDs that you gots from them? You better reading your agreement from apple a whole nother time and learn exactly what it are you were paid for when you "bought" your songs. You is only rented it.

Unfortunately, it seems that you might be wrong. I totally understand why you feel that the music is yours but the reality is that once you've agreed to Apple T&C's you're playing by their rules. Having not read them myself (who does?) I can't say as to what they actually stipulate.

Quote Originally Posted by MXCO View Post
    That would be "indefinitely", not "infinity". There's a big difference.
    Last edited by stevelucky; 09-04-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Hmmmm....Got me thinking there....

Quote Originally Posted by runey71 View Post
    You can say mine all you want. You can have it all caps, or in bold or extra large and it will make no difference. When you purchased something from iTunes, or any of the other online media services, you agreed to the terms and conditions. So whilst it is true you can do whatever you like that doesn't make it legal and you certainly won't be complying with the terms and conditions. Just to be clear since you singled out iTunes, and conveniently overlooked that Amazon was also mentioned, that most of these services have similar terms and conditions. Ie personal use only, you can't make as many copies as you like etc

Oh and it is no different for print media. You can't buy a book and legally photocopy it. Limitations have always been placed on what you can do with something you paid for and supposedly "own". Different rules for different countries of course.
    Screw them then. I don't care what they want. If I buy a song Ill put it on as many computers I want. Ill let my children have my computer with all my digital stuff when I die. If I want to photocopy a book to read off of a digital device, I'll do it. If these companies don't care about respecting their customers than I don't care about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
    Screw them then. I don't care what they want. If I buy a song Ill put it on as many computers I want. Ill let my children have my computer with all my digital stuff when I die. If I want to photocopy a book to read off of a digital device, I'll do it. If these companies don't care about respecting their customers than I don't care about them.
    ...and thus began PIRACY!!.
    no offence, but all i meant to say is that this is a Cycle and that's how stuff works.
    no wonder they can't control piracy, coz after all the problem is at the root itself which eventually triggers subsequent events.

Thanks

If I were a record label executive (or a movie studio executive), and I just read this thread, I'd have a heart attack...

"Dearie me, these plebeians have no concept of respect of intellectual property or contract law! THIS IS WHY WE HAVE THE RIAA (and MPAA) IN PLACE TO SUE ANY DAFT ENOUGH TO DEFRAUD US! WE'RE UNDER ATTACK FROM ALL FRONTS!

And they'll probably win a tort action against you. Contracts, once voluntarily agreed to, are a near-impossible yoke to shrug off.

This insouciant attitude of "it's mine to do with what I want, I paid for it!" (plus "it's digital! It doesn't really matter!"), is why we have positively draconian DRM schemes in place and various pieces of legislation enacted to curtail digital file sharing (wholly aboveboard and morally correct, like described here, plus the other kinds). It's a very nasty negative feedback cycle, I'm afraid... There's no winner.

That being said, this is a total joke. The only solutions to this problem of licensing instead of ownership are legislative (software bought digitally is purchased, not licensed; so the "first-sale doctrine" applies), or consumer boycott (going cold turkey on content--that means no piracy either).

Quote Originally Posted by bsltiger View Post
    Do you thinks that blockbuster haves no right to the movie you renteds from them? Could you makes an hundred copied of the DVDs that you gots from them? You better reading your agreement from apple a whole nother time and learn exactly what it are you were paid for when you "bought" your songs. You is only rented it.
    Difference being you RENT from blockbuster, you ostensibly BUY from iTunes. However I don't ever read terms and conditions so I cannot comment fully.

Quote Originally Posted by runey71 View Post

I'm not sure where in the terms and conditions it says "infinity renting". I certainly couldn't find it but it is a big document o.O What it does say is purchases have limitations such as how many electronic and physical copies you can make of your purchase. There are terms and conditions for many countries, so maybe the renting thing is hidden in there somewhere.
    What are we talking about here? Streaming music from a cloud or stuff actually downloaded from iTunes?
    I see it as, if iTunes allows me to burn it to a cd then it's 100% mine. At that point the music has no copy protection or registration info and no one can take it away. Except some guy that might break in and steal the cd. But that really goes without saying.

Ok so your reporting on a story from The Sun and Daily Mail 2 of the biggest news papers in the UK and also the worst.

The rumours you post on here about the next gen iPhone have more truth in them.

Quote Originally Posted by reznor9 View Post
    What are we talking about here? Streaming music from a cloud or stuff actually downloaded from iTunes?
    I see it as, if iTunes allows me to burn it to a cd then it's 100% mine. At that point the music has no copy protection or registration info and no one can take it away. Except some guy that might break in and steal the cd. But that really goes without saying.
    Terms and Conditions state that purchased and downloaded content from iTunes can only be simultaneously present on up to 5 devices. You can burn audio to a physical medium up to 7 times. You can never burn video to a physical medium. It isn't necessarily Apple who create these rules. Google and Amazon have similar rules. It is usually the owner of the copyright material (ie Publisher, Distributor etc) who sets these restrictions and companies like Apple have to abide by them.

Essentially the law, in many countries, states that when you purchase copyrighted material you own the physical copy of that material, or the right to consume the digital version. However you do not own the actual material. ie "When you buy a book, you own the copy of that book but not the actual material". So when you purchase songs or video from iTunes, and other similar services, then all you are purchasing is the right to consume, listen to or watch, the content. You do not actually own the content which is why restrictions are placed on what you can do with it.

So by breaching the Terms and Conditions of the sale you are breaking the law. That's a choice everyone has to make for themselves. However some of the comments here imply it is there right to do whatever they like with the digital content they purchase. It certainly is their choice to do so but in no way do they actually have the right to do so. No doubt we have all breached those Terms and Conditions at some point, I know I have.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Meh when I'm dead I don't give two f**ks what happens to my collection of 80s anthems.

I don't see how this is an issue though. I have all my music stored locally. It's physically on my iPhone, it's on my MacBook, and it on my TimeMachine, and also in my Mozy online backup. When I die, it's not going to disappear. I do what I want with my music and my children can do whatever they want to do when I'm gone.

Now untwist your panties everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast