+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bruce Willis is Not Planning to Invade Cupertino and Secure His iTunes Collection

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by runey71 Terms and Conditions state that purchased and downloaded content from iTunes can only be simultaneously present on up to 5 devices. You can burn audio to
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by runey71 View Post
    Terms and Conditions state that purchased and downloaded content from iTunes can only be simultaneously present on up to 5 devices. You can burn audio to a physical medium up to 7 times. You can never burn video to a physical medium. It isn't necessarily Apple who create these rules. Google and Amazon have similar rules. It is usually the owner of the copyright material (ie Publisher, Distributor etc) who sets these restrictions and companies like Apple have to abide by them.

Essentially the law, in many countries, states that when you purchase copyrighted material you own the physical copy of that material, or the right to consume the digital version. However you do not own the actual material. ie "When you buy a book, you own the copy of that book but not the actual material". So when you purchase songs or video from iTunes, and other similar services, then all you are purchasing is the right to consume, listen to or watch, the content. You do not actually own the content which is why restrictions are placed on what you can do with it.

So by breaching the Terms and Conditions of the sale you are breaking the law. That's a choice everyone has to make for themselves. However some of the comments here imply it is there right to do whatever they like with the digital content they purchase. It certainly is their choice to do so but in no way do they actually have the right to do so. No doubt we have all breached those Terms and Conditions at some point, I know I have.
    The problem is exactly that. There is pretty much no way to purchase the media where you can do whatever you want with it, considering your not just handing out copies to others. More often then not, the producers don't even care about that stuff but it is the labels that they go through. I was watching that old "don't copy that floppy video" and the one person said that if you want to use software on more than one computer you should by multiple copies. That's just plain ridiculous. Even the three install limit lots of software has now is ridiculous. So I just say screw it and do what I want with them, since there really is no other way.

Green Apple
    Thanks

The matter of the fact is, that as long as you make a copy of the song to an external hard drive there is nothing anyone can do about it, nor apple or amazon for that matter. You bough it an you own it, just as if you were a dvd or cd as long as you dont make copies for distribution purposes as it does states that, but for personal use you can make as many copies as you want!!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone runey71's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Papiriqui View Post
    The matter of the fact is, that as long as you make a copy of the song to an external hard drive there is nothing anyone can do about it, nor apple or amazon for that matter. You bough it an you own it, just as if you were a dvd or cd as long as you dont make copies for distribution purposes as it does states that, but for personal use you can make as many copies as you want!!!!
    Sorry that is not correct. You cannot make any copies for distribution purposes as you say. However in the iTunes terms and conditions it states you may copy an audio file to physical media a total of 7 times. You can also have up to 5 digital copies of it at any given time. For video files you are never allows to copy them to physical media. Not that anyone follows or cares about the terms and conditions. I know I don't. The fact of the matter is under no circumstances can you legally make infinite copies of your purchased content for any reason. It's pretty black and white. The grey area is what happens to those rights after you die. Assuming you even care of course LOL

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Ohhhhh when did everyone starting caring so much about terms and conditions. look out here come the iTunes police.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by runey71 View Post
    You can say mine all you want. You can have it all caps, or in bold or extra large and it will make no difference. When you purchased something from iTunes, or any of the other online media services, you agreed to the terms and conditions. So whilst it is true you can do whatever you like that doesn't make it legal and you certainly won't be complying with the terms and conditions. Just to be clear since you singled out iTunes, and conveniently overlooked that Amazon was also mentioned, that most of these services have similar terms and conditions. Ie personal use only, you can't make as many copies as you like etc

Oh and it is no different for print media. You can't buy a book and legally photocopy it. Limitations have always been placed on what you can do with something you paid for and supposedly "own". Different rules for different countries of course.

I'm not sure where in the terms and conditions it says "infinity renting". I certainly couldn't find it but it is a big document o.O What it does say is purchases have limitations such as how many electronic and physical copies you can make of your purchase. There are terms and conditions for many countries, so maybe the renting thing is hidden in there somewhere.
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by feidhlim1986 View Post
    Ohhhhh when did everyone starting caring so much about terms and conditions. look out here come the iTunes police.
    I agree that we shouldn't be all righteous now, but we should not forget what he digitally signed was the terms and conditions. Now what we do with the music is another story..
    Last edited by bonum83; 09-04-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by docmagoo2 View Post
    Difference being you RENT from blockbuster, you ostensibly BUY from iTunes. However I don't ever read terms and conditions so I cannot comment fully.
    That's the thing, though. You AREN'T buying from iTunes. You're renting it. For a very very long time (indefinitely).

It's in the T&C. It's Understandable that not many people know this, though, since no one ever reads T&C (myself included).
    Last edited by bsltiger; 09-04-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    When I pay for something I'TS MINE!
    If I buy a song from iTunes I do what I WANT with it NOT what Apple tells me to do.
    If I want to transfer it to a different MP3 player then I will as I PAID for it so I can do whatever I like with it.
    As I have the file I can remove the protection as its on MY computer and I can do whatever I like to anything on MY computer.
    Apple have NO rights to my files after I paid for them.
    IF they want to give them to me for free then ok, they can have an agreement but as money has changed hands its now MINE.
    +∞++

Thanks

Everyone should do whatever they want (reasonably) with the music they purchase. The RIAA should be thankful we drop out .99/1.29 at all.

EULAs are all a joke. Even if you take the time to read most of them, you would still need a lawyer to decipher exactly what it is you agree to.

Thanks

If I buy a song from iTunes I do what I WANT with it NOT what Apple tells me to do.
    If I want to transfer it to a different MP3 player then I will as I PAID for it so I can do whatever I like with it.
    As I have the file I can remove the protection as its on MY computer and I can do whatever I like to anything on MY computer.
    IF they want to give them to me for free then ok, they can have an agreement but as money has changed hands its now MINE.
    Most of us are consumers and not producers. If you were a producer and people started to copy and pirate your stuff, I bet you would change your stance in a heart beat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perceptum View Post
    Most of us are consumers and not producers. If you were a producer and people started to copy and pirate your stuff, I bet you would change your stance in a heart beat.
    Not at all. I know plenty of producers that don't care what you do with it. I even know many that have a very lax stance on piracy, and say that they don't really care if people do it. Funny thing is, those artists have many people who would normally pirate it who buy it just because they have such a good attitude.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 836 Posts

If you can't sell it back then it's not yours, unfortunately. When you "buy" music you're only buying the right to enjoy the music whenever you want.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I understand both sides. Me...I try not buying digital. I get my music the old fashion way..CD quality. I hate the bit-rate of any recordings they have to offer. I get better Quality, a physical copy,can put it in iTunes or anywhere I feel fit and In most cases pay the same. Really don't understand how they have duped everyone into accepting these garbage recordings. Put on a set of good earphones and play a 128 vs 700+ and you will understand( not the ones Apple provides)Like a crap Diner vs. a five star restaurant.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bsltiger View Post
    Do you thinks that blockbuster haves no right to the movie you renteds from them? Could you makes an hundred copied of the DVDs that you gots from them? You better reading your agreement from apple a whole nother time and learn exactly what it are you were paid for when you "bought" your songs. You is only rented it.
    Nobody is talking about making hundreds of copies of anything. If you purchase any of these dogs through any service, you do reserve the right to put those songs on your mp3 player. Correct? And if that is correct, I do not believe apple than has the right to take your mp3 player and/or Take legal action to make sure you remove it from that player when you die.

Thanks

I don't know one single iTunes user that has a decent collection, that does not back up their media. Meaning it is yours..as you have a backup of it locally. iTunes also has a backup of it im sure but if anything goes down(you die) at least your local copy is still good..:]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by killakill View Post
    Nobody is talking about making hundreds of copies of anything. If you purchase any of these dogs through any service, you do reserve the right to put those songs on your mp3 player. Correct? And if that is correct, I do not believe apple than has the right to take your mp3 player and/or Take legal action to make sure you remove it from that player when you die.
    I get it. I was just exaggerating to prove a point to NakedFaerie. The number was arbitrary.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster77 View Post
    Not at all. I know plenty of producers that don't care what you do with it. I even know many that have a very lax stance on piracy, and say that they don't really care if people do it. Funny thing is, those artists have many people who would normally pirate it who buy it just because they have such a good attitude.
    I do not know a single person who doesn't care if their products are pirated or stolen.

Thanks

LOL at CD's being considered "old fashioned" hhahaa.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perceptum View Post
    I do not know a single person who doesn't care if their products are pirated or stolen.
    Ronald Jenkees and Olan Rogers to name two. Then lots not forgot the countless others who just don't charge for their music videos, or software in the first place.

Thanks

Pretty sure everybody would agree that is how it should be, but that isn't true. Rentals aren't free; we buy rentals apparently.

+ Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12