+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Screen Snag at Sharp As New iPhone Supply Shortage is Feared

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
In recent weeks, we've been hearing from no shortage of well-informed sources that more than a few production glitches could threaten the supply of new 6th generation iPhones as Apple
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Screen Snag at Sharp As New iPhone Supply Shortage is Feared

In recent weeks, we've been hearing from no shortage of well-informed sources that more than a few production glitches could threaten the supply of new 6th generation iPhones as Apple reportedly plans to unveil the device to consumers next month at a media event in California.

On Friday, new insight entered the headlines as The Wall Street Journal managed to gain additional knowledge about the purportedly tense environment surrounding the Apple manufacturing and supply chain today.

Based on the details we know, LCD maker Sharp is quickly falling behind on its mass production of displays for the new iPhone. This alleged reality is making anxious market watchers and industry analysts think that supply shortages could be severe in the early days of the iPhone launch.

People familiar with the situation said that Sharp had planned to start shipping iPhone screens to Apple by the end of August, but mass production has been delayed partly because of manufacturing difficulties. It remains unclear when the company can start shipping the panels, one of the people said.
    Sharp is one of Apple's most important and valuable partners in the manufacturing realm. Should this alleged problem linger, the consequences could result in significant consumer frustration - something Apple would certainly like to avoid at all costs as 2012 rolls into fall.

Source: WSJ

Thanks

Of course, something like this happens every year it seems like, which causes some kind of shortage and back order of handsets after the initial first wave is released.

Thanks

Do Android smart phones suffer from these production problems every year or is it just apple devices? Or is all this "news" just to get attention for an upcoming phone and none of it is true?
    Hmm...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    Do Android smart phones suffer from these production problems every year or is it just apple devices? Or is all this "news" just to get attention for an upcoming phone and none of it is true?
    Who has ever heard of an amazing Android Phone launch? exactly

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    Of course, something like this happens every year it seems like, which causes some kind of shortage and back order of handsets after the initial first wave is released.
    This is probably just a marketing trick to get everyone out on release day thinking they may not get one and then Apple has record sales or release day to taunt Samsunk with.

This is probably just a marketing trick to make folks thing they may not get one and bring huge crowds and have record sales on release day to taunt samsunk with.
    Last edited by tridley68; 08-31-2012 at 08:20 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me mustard05's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    Your first hint is to look at the writer of this story on Mmi. Does this guy ever write anything that has truth to it?

iPhone? More like MyPhone HovikGas's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post
    This is probably just a marketing trick to get everyone out on release day thinking they may not get one and then Apple has record sales or release day to taunt Samsunk with.

This is probably just a marketing trick to make folks thing they may not get one and bring huge crowds and have record sales on release day to taunt samsunk with.
    No, I'd wager this is standard stuff. It's just that since demand for most Android phones is nothing compared to the iPhone, no one notices, nor cares about, any production hiccups. I'd go so far as to say they probably don't have any production issues BECAUSE they don't have to have 20 million units ready on launch day, and another 20 for that first week, etc. or whatever the actual numbers are.

Regardless, I'm sure Apple is loving the PR and it doesn't matter for me anyway, I'm waiting till jailbreak comes out. Not making that mistake twice (of having to go like 2 months with stock iOS).

Thanks

Supply and demand. If you can't get it..you want it. Kind of like a night club with a long line. Makes you curious..makes you wonder what's going on inside..makes you wanna be there. Same with these "shortages" haha..makes you want that phone..i know i do!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    It's all BS .. Notice how they put "reportedly" in the title. Apple has yet to confirm one ounce of anything these "insiders and analysts" report. It's all hogwash to draw attention to the website.

Thanks

Probably just hype so people think they have to act super fast if they want the new iPhone right away.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dannyrocket's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tridley68 View Post

Good point,wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Micturition View Post
    Because only Apple do marketing gimmicks before their product launch.

iPhone? More like MyPhone shigh's Avatar
    Thanks

I know this is off topic but i cant find a forum for it. Im lookin for help updating my 4s gsm. Cant do it. Ota or itunes. Could someone point me in the right direction? Sorry for the off topic post

My iPhone is a Part of Me fanboyfanboy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Micturition View Post
    Hahaha +1

Quote Originally Posted by Glocknine View Post
    Because only Apple do marketing gimmicks before their product launch.
    No it's because android phones come out every other week, with little to no change between them. The ONLY one with noticeable change from the rest is the galaxy SIII, apple has record sales BECAUSE they do not produce a ton of phones, unlike android. Which is funny, android only has, what? Maybe 10-12% of the market share over apple. And apple has 5 phones while android has what? 500+? Just goes to show quality > quantity
    Last edited by fanboyfanboy; 08-31-2012 at 11:27 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Hey, just as long as the screen quality isn't as crap as the last 5 phones! I'd be happy to wait if the screen was better made.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Actually, Androids(smartphone)market share is 68% to Apples ( IOS )17%. Do your homework.

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by purplemonkeyspank View Post
    Hey, just as long as the screen quality isn't as crap as the last 5 phones! I'd be happy to wait if the screen was better made.
    You can't be referring to the iPhone, could you? Possibly the first 3? Because the retina displays are hardly crappy quality.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Oh no an iPhone shortage. What will we all do. I'll buy 5 just to make sure I get one and then sell the other 4 at say 1200 each. Got to cover the bases.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oddphone20 View Post
    Actually, Androids(smartphone)market share is 68% to Apples ( IOS )17%. Do your homework.
    That's just a sales number, more android phones sold because 1)they GIVE them away. 2) they keep breaking and people open new lines with a FREE POS android phones lol

Green Apple
    Thanks

Market saturation is the final goal. Android wins wether free or paid. How do you think Microsoft owns 85%+ of the PC Market? Open Handset Alliance ring bells? 84 Tech and mobile companies vs. one( and anyone can guess which side truly owns a vast majority of tech patents).Android 80,000,000 in a month vs. ios 25,000,000.(appox.#s)That math isn't hard. And yes sales numbers are pretty valid. Sales numbers= how many sold. I am using my iPad to write this...my Galaxy tab 2 sits in its box. But I am not blind. You can't sell me crazy.