+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is Google Wallet Ripping Off iOS 6 Passbook?

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Is Google Wallet Ripping Off iOS 6 Passbook?

In June, Apple unveiled Passbook, a forthcoming app to debut alongside iOS 6 this fall. Called “the simplest way to get all of your passes in one place,” Passbook lets iPhone users keep and quickly access electronic versions of their tickets, boarding passes and other merchant cards in one convenient place on their handset.

Apparently, this idea was so awesome that Google had to hurry up and clone it before iOS 6 is released. At least that's what critics of the Internet search giants are saying on the heels of news that Google is adding a new feature to its growing electronic Wallet payment platform.

This week, Google confirmed plans for a comparable solution to the Passbook app.

One big advantage now for Google Wallet is that it was primarily designed to enable payments with users' credit card information stored in the cloud. It enables in-store purchases using near-field communications (NFC) at participating businesses.
    In case you're wondering, this isn't a rumor. In fact, the news comes straight from Robin Dua, Google Wallet Head of Product Management. And while Dua wouldn't reveal when the new feature is coming... you can bet it's already on the way.

“One of the types of things we’re trying to do is make it easy for airlines, transit providers and other types of issuers of credentials to get their credentials stored in the Wallet,” Dua says. “That’s the goal. We want you to be able to leave your leather wallet at home and carry your phone and transact with that as your primary transaction device.”

Source: Bizjournals

Thanks
    Of course it is!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Google Checkout was available back in 2006, expanding that onto cellphone and into Google Wallet is logical next step.
    Google Checkout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    If anything Apple is the one stealing the idea.

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 729 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Google Checkout was available back in 2006, expanding that onto cellphone and into Google Wallet is logical next step.
    Google Checkout - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    If anything Apple is the one stealing the idea.
    *Gets popcorn*

iPhone? More like MyPhone brianlg's Avatar
    Thanks

no.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Are you [kidding] me? The news on this site just keeps pissing me off more and more every day. Google wallet has been around for over a year now, and there goal has always been to eliminate the goal to carry a wallet. They already support some gift cards/rewards programs from stores, and they plan to keep on expanding. Plus it uses NFC, something Apple doesn't seem to want to embrace. If anything, Passbook is a copy of Google wallet, not the other way around.
    Last edited by Orby; 09-01-2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Language, please.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to funstuff234 For This Useful Post:

jOnGarrett (08-30-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Google Wallet has been out before iOS5. NFC technology has been in android phones way before iOS6 was even considered. This is ModMyI's way of creating a mobile OS war

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mellymelly For This Useful Post:

jOnGarrett (08-30-2012)

Green Apple
    Thanks

An e-wallet isn't something new or unique. Everyone thought of it and wants it made (including consumers). It's like making telephone calls without wires. It was just a matter of time before someone made it happen. If apple or google made it happen first, doesn't really mean anything...Something like a pinch to zoom or bounce back, now that's something.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

@unison999 i think if you bothered to read the article you'd understand this isn't talking about "wallet" services, or paying for merchandise, but talking about the "passbook" service, keeping airline tickets, movie tickets, etc. in the application. if you're going to troll, please do your homework first.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 891 Posts

Wallet is a better name than passbook.

Passbook sounds like some pre-teen girls purse.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to KraXik For This Useful Post:

jOnGarrett (08-30-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,512 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by funstuff234 View Post
    Are you [kidding] me? The news on this site just keeps pissing me off more and more every day. Google wallet has been around for over a year now, and there goal has always been to eliminate the goal to carry a wallet. They already support some gift cards/rewards programs from stores, and they plan to keep on expanding. Plus it uses NFC, something Apple doesn't seem to want to embrace. If anything, Passbook is a copy of Google wallet, not the other way around.
    Dude if u don't like the news just keep it to ur self!! I'm sure not everybody knows about this. U guys keep talking crap about that news this site is giving us u don't like it u make ur own news or go to another site. Nobody wants to see stupid post about why is this news here. Post ur commens about what is the news about or don't.
    Last edited by Orby; 09-01-2012 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Language in the quote.
    Instagram: zplit
    Twitter: zplit

iPhone? More like MyPhone dannyrocket's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by funstuff234 View Post
    Are you shitting me? The news on this site just keeps pissing me off more and more every day. Google wallet has been around for over a year now, and there goal has always been to eliminate the goal to carry a wallet. They already support some gift cards/rewards programs from stores, and they plan to keep on expanding. Plus it uses NFC, something Apple doesn't seem to want to embrace. If anything, Passbook is a copy of Google wallet, not the other way around.
    I agree, this is getting pretty ridiculous if you ask me! Don't be a fan boy and assume Apple innovates everything!

Kind of getting sick of Apple and I'm sure many other people are also!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dannyrocket For This Useful Post:

jOnGarrett (08-30-2012)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Google Wallet is available now, while we are still waiting for Apple to release Passbook. Google has NFC while we are still waiting on a NFC iPhone, to me Apple are trying to play catchup.

All this praise for Apple and negative for everyone else on multiple sites is getting boring, anyone would think sites are sucking upto Apple in preparation for Apples big announcement in a few weeks

18. The Following User Says Thank You to rickuk For This Useful Post:

jOnGarrett (08-30-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Passbook more than likely ripped off from Google Wallet in the first place

20. The Following User Says Thank You to r17019 For This Useful Post:

jOnGarrett (08-30-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I seem to have missed the "Is IOS5 ripping off Android Notifications?" headline

22. The Following User Says Thank You to redapex For This Useful Post:

jOnGarrett (08-30-2012)

Livin the iPhone Life littlelisa63's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,523 Times in 910 Posts

I like the name passbook coz most us girls don't carry wallets
    Anyway it's always gonna be apple this Samsung google that or Samsung google this apple that
    Everybody has there favourite iOS and phone it's the real world
    I love my iPhones and are happy with my product

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zplit View Post
    Dude if u don't like the news just keep it to ur self!! I'm sure not everybody knows about this. U guys keep talking crap about that news this site is giving us u don't like it u make ur own news or go to another site. Nobody wants to see stupid post about why is this news here. Post ur commens about what is the news about or don't.
    I see what you are driving at with your comment, but I think its the way they are reporting it is the problem. Any real journalist would know that Google Wallet has been out for some time, but modmyi likes to get you guys all hot and bothered so these comment train keeps rolling. Its not Apples fault. It is modmyi with the dumbest of reporting. that said, Google Wallet on my Galaxy Nexus is amazing. I use it all the time. Maybe Apple will introduce some other way to use its features on iOS and then more innovating can occur from it, but lets be honest here. LMFAO!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redapex View Post
    I seem to have missed the "Is IOS5 ripping off Android Notifications?" headline
    I could be wrong but I think Cydia developers were trying to get a better notification system (something similar to Android) once they realized the apple notification system was lacking, then iOS developers realized how cool this jailbroken notification center was.

I believe, I could be wrong...
    Android Developers > Cydia Developers > iOS deveopers

26. The Following User Says Thank You to daviedave For This Useful Post:

jOnGarrett (08-30-2012)

szr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littlelisa63 View Post
    I like the name passbook coz most us girls don't carry wallets
    Anyway it's always gonna be apple this Samsung google that or Samsung google this apple that
    Everybody has there favourite iOS and phone it's the real world
    I love my iPhones and are happy with my product
    I am not sure if you are aware of this, but Samsung is but one handset maker for the Android OS, they are not the maker of the OS themselves. Instead, that would be Google. Thus, you are making an incorrect comparison, as it's Google adding features such as Wallet, not individual handset makers.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
    @unison999 i think if you bothered to read the article you'd understand this isn't talking about "wallet" services, or paying for merchandise, but talking about the "passbook" service, keeping airline tickets, movie tickets, etc. in the application. if you're going to troll, please do your homework first.
    My AMC account already log in my movie tickets + how much I spent on snacks + my rewards.
    My United Miles card already log in my airline tickets + how many miles I flew + my rewards.
    All this already exist so how is Google stealing this already existing "passbook" idea?
    If anything "Passbook" is stealing Google Wallet epayment idea, I hope Apple do release Passbook so Google can add another bullet into its lawsuit against Apple.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast