Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: NFC on iPhone 5? Not So Fast, Says New Report

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default NFC on iPhone 5? Not So Fast, Says New Report

Apparently, the "C" in NFC stands for "contradiction."

Just hours after the tech blogosphere lit up with speculation following the leaked images of new iPhone components suggesting that NFC technology is coming to the 6th generation Apple smartphone, a new report has surfaced to cast doubt on this persistent assertion.

"Given the primarily metal backside of the new iPhone, itís highly unlikely that NFC is in the cards for this generation," write Brian Klug and Anand Lal Shimpi for AnandTech. "In fact, given the very little space at top and bottom dedicated to those glass RF windows, you can almost entirely rule it out."

So... if the mysterious component spotted in the provocative image of the supposed iPhone 5 isn't NFC related, what exactly did we see in the photograph? Sources at AnandTech believe that the component may be little more than a touch and display control mechanism behind the in-cell touchscreen that is expected to come with the new iPhone.

One day, the iPhone is getting NFC... the next day it isn't. Who's right? I think I speak for most iPhone junkies when I say that September 12th (the rumored new iPhone introduction date) can't get here fast enough to set the record straight.

Source: The Loop

Would just be silly if it doesnt come out with it - Im certain it will have it - just you wait and see.

Thanks
    I was looking forward to NFC... Oh well...

"So... if the mysterious component spotted in the provocative image of the supposed iPhone 5 isn't NFC related, what exactly did we see in the photograph?"

the new vibrator motor, lol

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,761 Times in 754 Posts

This why i don't believe $h1t/rumors until Apple is on the stage and says here it is folks! To much Speculation and not enough facts and people still post it as news. Pretty sad if you ask me. I want to read about facts not fiction.

Judging from where the NFC is located on the picture, wouldnt it be beneath the plastic part of the backside near the top?

Judging from where the NFC is located on the picture, wouldnt it be beneath the plastic part of the backside near the top?(Or the bottom)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    This why i don't believe $h1t/rumors until Apple is on the stage and says here it is folks! To much Speculation and not enough facts and people still post it as news. Pretty sad if you ask me. I want to read about facts not fiction.
    Exactly. There is too much rumors going around and not all are true. Even if they are true nobody really cares as they cant use those rumored features till the device gets released anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    I agree 99%; however, the remaining 1% is because everything leading up to when they release it very, very realistic fiction.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,275 Times in 1,393 Posts

I think it's funny how quickly they came up w/ another idea for 'what' that piece is if it isn't NFC!!!

Almost sounds like these people just make up whatever they want, hoping one of their guesses will be right...

I think I'm gonna start writing for a blog on what to expect for new iDevices...no facts, just a creative mind required! ;-)
    Last edited by thazsar; 08-28-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Who really cares! It's a stupid idea anyway! Lose your phone and someone emptys your bank account! It started in the uk for only small amounts but this has already been changed and is now around £25 limit and this will increase!

I'm on the fence about this one, imo they won't include it but i'm like 60/40 on it. Only reason I don't think it will come out is the tech hasn't been encoporated into society to a level that apple usually waits for (as with say 4G).

I think it will have 4G and won't have NFC

Didn't they report that it was a FRONT facing NFC chip? As in the uni-body would not affect it, because the signal would broadcast out the front, therefore allowing it to work properly. I know it is awkward, but at least it gives people a chance to use it.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    What is NFC?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Big deal... One does not need that, Bluetooth is more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by bigray View Post
    What is NFC?
    Near Field Communication

Google it
    Hit the thanks button if I helped in any way

This will be a shame if it does not have this feature. I just bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 because I dropped my iPhone 4 and it shattered. Thought I would try something else until I see what the next iPhone has to offer. The NFC feature is awesome on the S3. I have a little sticker in my car that I just hold the phone up to and it turns off WiFi, turns on bluetooth and launches my music player. I have another at my front door that does the opposite. Turns Wifi on and bluetooth off. These thing save battery and are just cool to show off(I know this is just the geek in me but really cool). Would maybe buy next iPhone and give S3 to one of the kids. The NFC is a feature that once you have you don't want to get rid of.

Hope it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaMonkey View Post
    Would just be silly if it doesnt come out with it - Im certain it will have it - just you wait and see.
    Seriously I agree I mean really they added an app called passbook how much more obvious could they make it

The component looked pretty flat, like it might easily overlap other components without taking up much space. If anyone has ever opened up an iPhone in person and seen just how tiny those components actually are, "not enough room" hardly seems like a viable excuse. There's plenty of space behind those RF windows for the size they're making components these days.

Besides, seeing as how sensitive PayPass and things like that are, I can't imagine the thin metal backing being much of an issue to prevent the signal from getting through anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bigray View Post
    What is NFC?
    Think Bluetooth on steroids!

Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0