+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Make Spotlight a Little More Useful With 'SearchSpotLightPro'

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
It’s not exactly the most enjoyed feature of iOS anymore – in fact it probably never was, but SpotLight is still present in iOS even in iOS 6, so it’s
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 767 Posts

Default Make Spotlight a Little More Useful With 'SearchSpotLightPro'

It’s not exactly the most enjoyed feature of iOS anymore – in fact it probably never was, but SpotLight is still present in iOS even in iOS 6, so it’s here to stay. If you want to make it just a little bit more useful than before, a new free jailbreak tweak is live in the Cydia store today dubbed SearchSpotLightPro by iOS developers iMokhles and Mr_DuNh1ll. The tweak is demonstrated in the screenshot shown above.

The tweak basically gives SpotLight some additional options for searching the Web. Usually, you are only permitted to “Search Web” or “Search Wikipedia,” which are both very limiting options. What would you do if you wanted to search YouTube or Facebook from SpotLight instead of Google or Wikipedia? – Up to this point, you couldn’t.

SearchSpotLightPro adds some popular sites to SpotLight so you can invoke a search from them, such as:
    • Cydia
    • Facebook
    • Google
    • Instagram
    • YouTube

When invoking a search in Cydia, the Cydia application will open up with your search query loaded up and showing any related tweaks, themes, or other content that pertains to your search. When invoking a search from any of the other Web sites that come bundled with the tweak, Mobile Safari will launch the Web site pertaining to the chosen search with your query loaded up for that site. Unfortunately, the Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube options will not launch the dedicated iOS applications with your search.

The developers state that they are working on an update to bring even more search options to SpotLight in a future release. The tweak is free, so why not add the additional functionality to Spotlight? Those of you that don't like using SpotLight will probably prefer to stay away from this tweak, but for those that use SpotLight for a lot of searching, this tweak has the potential to be handy.

Name: SearchSpotLightPro
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0-1
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer(s): iMokhles and Mr_DuNh1ll
    Editor's Rating:  3/5
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 08-26-2012 at 03:25 PM.

niu
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Awesome.thanks BigBoss team

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'm surprised this is a tweak you decide to rate a 3 on...

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I've wanted this a long time

I also want the blue "Search" button on the keyboard to launch a Google search. Anyone seen something like that?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing this!

Green Apple
    Thanks

[QUOTE=Anthony Bouchard;6660383Itís not exactly the most enjoyed feature of iOS anymore Ė in fact it probably never was, but SpotLight is still present in iOS even in iOS 6, so itís here to stay.[/QUOTE]

I find it pretty useful sometimes.

Hmm. That's weird. I have a quote on this but it's not showing up for me.
    Last edited by Jacobh4; 08-28-2012 at 09:20 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by c0dy View Post
    I've wanted this a long time

I also want the blue "Search" button on the keyboard to launch a Google search. Anyone seen something like that?
    I'd love to see this same thing! Spotlight for your phone, but also shows results for a google search