Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'StatusBulletin' is Another Free Tweak Trying to Improve Banner Notifications

Default 'StatusBulletin' is Another Free Tweak Trying to Improve Banner Notifications

It seems to be a very popular trend lately for banner notifications to be shrunken down to only Status Bar-sized notifications rather than the full-sized iOS 5 notification banners, which are about as tall as two Status Bars. Recently we have seen DietBulletin by Ryan Petrich and today, another tweak called StatusBulletin by iOS development firm dba Technologies, LCC comes into the light.

StatusBulletin gives credit to DietBulletin as it was a derivative work and gave the developer the idea to make it. The tweak basically shows you your banners in a smaller amount of space to help keep them from being obtrusive; however, it does this differently than DietBulletin because DietBulletin is literally a miniature iOS 5 notification banner, while StatusBulletin gives you the illusion of a Status Bar-based notification. Shown above is an example.

Another useful feature of the tweak is that notifications, when they are too long to show on the screen, actually scroll right to left in the Status Bar so you can read all of it. For text messages, you will see the sender’s name and their message, while for other applications you will see the application name and the notification itself.

StatusBulletin also comes with color choices – the two most easily distinguishable being silver or black. The silver color resembles an actual banner more so than the black color. In fact, the black color sort of reminds us of the unobtrusive Twitter notifications that lurk in the Status Bar while you’re inside of the Twitter application.

All of these choices can be configured from the Settings application under the StatusBulletin preferences pane that appears when you install the free jailbreak tweak. The preferences pane, shown above, gives the user the ability to enable 'Smart Titles' for any applications of their choice. The tweak will take note of all the applications on your device automatically and allow you to turn a switch to the on or off position for each of them to enable and disable this feature for the applications you select. 'Smart Titles' will help you hide unnecessary title information from banners when it's obvious where the notification came from.

The preferences pane also comes with the ability to hide the biteSMS button when you get a notification from biteSMS and the ability to change the style of the banner notification. The banner styles you can choose from include:
    • Matching (matches the color of your current Status Bar)
    • Inverted (inverts the color of your current Status Bar)
    • Black
    • Silver

For a free banner tweak, it is pretty impressive in terms of both appearance and functionality. The extra customization options make it worthy of trying for anyone that doesn’t like how large Apple’s stock notification banners are. From all of our testing, the tweak appears to work exactly as expected, so feel free to give it a test run!

Name: StatusBulletin
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.0.0-3
    Requirements: iOS 5
    Repo: ModMyi
    Developer: dba Technologies, LLC
    Editor's Rating:  4/5

Thanks

I don't get the point of all these. Does the 5 millimeters you gain for 2 seconds help you at all?

My iPhone is a Part of Me ssemmel's Avatar
    Thanks

Does this work on the ipad?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Mr. Russian's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dima470 View Post
    I don't get the point of all these. Does the 5 millimeters you gain for 2 seconds help you at all?
    sometimes it does because on the iPhone, some banners cover the back buttons in the navigation bar and this is annoying when it gets in the way
    CHECK OUT THIS AWESOME THEME
    Windows Vista
    Follow me on Twitter - Mr_Russ1an

Thanks
    Thanked 3,259 Times in 1,388 Posts

I suggested MMI write about this tweak. In all honesty, I don't care too much about the Notification Banner and actually dislike how it covers up the top of my screen for a couple seconds.

BUT, I tried and enjoy this tweak!!! It's unobtrusive and simple. It doesn't take up any space and isn't annoying like the 'default' and/or 'tweaked' Not. Banner. The text auto-scrolls across (which is nice!) and it responds to replying just like before! Best of all...it's FREE!

Try it out, I think you'll like it!

iPhone? More like MyPhone iPhase4G's Avatar
    Thanks

Does anyone know how well it works with iMessages?

Awesome! Looks like twitter in app notifications! Very Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by iPhase4G View Post
    Does anyone know how well it works with iMessages?
    It works as shown above. Those were iMessages. So I would say it works great .

The color choices one on the right will surely be in the next update I am SURE of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ NiveK View Post
    The color choices one on the right will surely be in the next update I am SURE of it.
    They're there now aren't they?

Check out WW2 for iOS 8 - Widget-Weather 2.0

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ssemmel View Post
    Does this work on the ipad?
    FYI, YES, this works on iPad! Just tried it!

This is honestly a great tweak!
    If only theres an option in it to keep the status bar black in all apps? Would be useful!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SAND33P View Post
    This is honestly a great tweak!
    If only theres an option in it to keep the status bar black in all apps? Would be useful!
    Go into the Settings.app, you can change it to Black

Installed, simply amazing!
    Only issue is the font seems a little too bold and pixely on my 3gs
    But heck its still great, and free!