+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple May Proceed with Cheaper Unsubsidized iPhone Next Year

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
According to the latest informed word on the streets, Apple will begin offering an unsubsidized iPhone in 2013, possibly for as low as $200 by next year at this time.
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 562 Posts

Default Apple May Proceed with Cheaper Unsubsidized iPhone Next Year

According to the latest informed word on the streets, Apple will begin offering an unsubsidized iPhone in 2013, possibly for as low as $200 by next year at this time.

The outcome of that move could be a significant spike for Apple in emerging markets, where Apple is massively losing ground to Google. In these markets, less expensive Android devices are flooding the landscape and lending considerably to Android's climb in global market share.

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster said Friday that Apple is now expected to slash the unsubsidized cost of existing iPhone models to somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 within the next twelve months. That's down dramatically from the current $375 unsubsidized price for the 8GB iPhone 3GS.

If this scenario plays out as expected, Munster believes Apple's global smartphone share will climb from 20 percent (in 2012) to 32 percent (in 2015). "We believe it is becoming increasingly possible for Apple to build the low end iPhone for $130-150, which would suggest a 25-35% gross margin," Munster told investors today. "While some investors may not like the margin dilution from a cheaper iPhone, we believe that view misses the bigger market share picture."

Source: Wall Street Cheat Sheet

Green Apple
    Thanks

Applauses clap clap! APPLE

iPhone? More like MyPhone bigbaba's Avatar
    Thanks

Marks the entrance of Apple into the crap-phone market.

Thanks

FINALLY!! Apple is doing what should have been done years ago..seeing the big picture. In order to stay competitive they have to have more options(not only hardware) but price options. Android has a slew of devices ranging from $0-whatever with a contract. Apple does not offer a free phone. If they can reach a decent price point, they will definitely sell more phones..can't wait to see what happens.

iPhone? More like MyPhone GooseG's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    FINALLY!! Apple is doing what should have been done years ago..seeing the big picture. In order to stay competitive they have to have more options(not only hardware) but price options. Android has a slew of devices ranging from $0-whatever with a contract. Apple does not offer a free phone. If they can reach a decent price point, they will definitely sell more phones..can't wait to see what happens.
    Uhhhh... Think before you say something so matter-of-fact. Apple does offer a free contract phone. It's the 3GS.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    And yet look at their stock prices and financials. Just imagine what Apple could be *if* the only would look at the big picture.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default this is hopeless.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbaba View Post
    Marks the entrance of Apple into the crap-phone market.
    Ideally they shouldn't enter the cheap phone market. I'm just hoping the cheap phone looks completely different from the expensive one.

Thanks

That's interesting. I guess people are over this whole "exclusivity"

Thanks

Don't make a cheap phone apple... Please?!

Price wise, yes please do but don't lack quality. It would ruin their image as a top quality company. IMO

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GooseG View Post
    Uhhhh... Think before you say something so matter-of-fact. Apple does offer a free contract phone. It's the 3GS.
    That's what I'm thinking. People already have an option if they want an inexpensive iPhone. If Apple DOES go through with this it will be no different than a two year old product with a different label.

*T*
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    That's what I'm thinking. People already have an option if they want an inexpensive iPhone. If Apple DOES go through with this it will be no different than a two year old product with a different label.
    The 3GS doesn't have the right radio to be compatible globally

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
    The 3gs is a few generations old, but the new cheap iPhone model can be marketed as a new generation Apple branded product, I think this will make a difference. If Apple makes a >iPhone3gS spec'd product with lower quality Chinese material then it can directly compete with Huawei, Acer (some), etc. Android products. I bought my mom a cheap Android smartphone for <$250 with no contract. She loves the phone and I am happy!

Stupid fanboys, Apple/Android love to have the greatest and newest not because they necessarily need one for work/ social life but because of the image.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daviedave View Post
    The 3gs is a few generations old, but the new cheap iPhone model can be marketed as a new generation Apple branded product, I think this will make a difference. If Apple makes a >iPhone3gS spec'd product with lower quality Chinese material then it can directly compete with Huawei, Acer (some), etc. Android products. I bought my mom a cheap Android smartphone for <$250 with no contract. She loves the phone and I am happy!

Stupid fanboys, Apple/Android love to have the greatest and newest not because they necessarily need one for work/ social life but because of the image.
    Image?.. I know no such thing.
    Quality is why I'm here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daviedave View Post

I don't disagree with you at all. Actually, that's basically what I was saying. A newer iPhone will really be nothing more than great marketing, which those with a lower phone budget will lap up. What those same people fail to realize is that they already have that option.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalpesh78 View Post
    Ideally they shouldn't enter the cheap phone market. I'm just hoping the cheap phone looks completely different from the expensive one.
    Focken agree.