+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: South Korean Court Bans Both Apple and Samsung Products

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Phillip Swanson's Avatar
    Thanks

Default South Korean Court Bans Both Apple and Samsung Products

A South Korean court ruled today that Apple and Samsung infringed on each other’s patents and has banned the companies from selling the infringing devices in the country.

The three judge panel ruled that Apple violated two of Samsung’s wireless technology patents and Samsung violated a single Apple patent pertaining to bounce-back technology. Also, The judges ruled that there was “no possibility” that consumers would confuse the devices from the companies and rejected Apple’s design infringement claims.

While the judges did acknowledge a number of similarities in between Apple’s products and Samsung's, they argued the fact that the companies, you know, stamp their logos and branding all over the devices prevents consumer confusion.

"Given that it's very limited to make big design changes in touch-screen based mobile products in general...and the defendant [Samsung] differentiated its products with three buttons in the front and adopted different designs in camera and [on the] side, the two products have a different look.” — Seoul Court
    Outside of the “ban” the court ruled Apple must pay Samsung an insultingly low $17,650 in damages for each patent violated. Samsung on the other hand must pay Apple $22,00 for the single patent the company violated.

Expect both companies to appeal the decisions and if need be eventually take the case to the South Korean Supreme Court.

Source: Reuters [via CNET]

My iPhone is a Part of Me iPittsburgh's Avatar
    Thanks

I like this approach, both sides lose. These lawsuits are getting old faster and faster.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iPittsburgh View Post
    I like this approach, both sides lose. These lawsuits are getting old faster and faster.

I agree, the verdict is pretty funny too.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Lol best results I think. Punish both of them one way or another.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I wish the American patent system would do the same. Maybe they will both stay clear of abusing the broken patent system to control the market instead of innovation. And maybe Motorola and HTC will be able to catch up and produce high quality devices.
    #wishfulthinking

Green Apple
    Thanks

Good one! They won't be bringing their future cases to those judges anytime soon!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by daviedave View Post
    I wish the American patent system would do the same. Maybe they will both stay clear of abusing the broken patent system to control the market instead of innovation. And maybe Motorola and HTC will be able to catch up and produce high quality devices.
    #wishfulthinking
    heh.

in the American version, they both "win"
    except that Apple and Samsung will both have to pay each other billions of $
    (which means their respective lawyers get millions of $, which gives them more incentive to keep fighting)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I still cant help but think this all the Patents Office's fault..

Green Apple
    Thanks

Really? I heard that Samsung was stealing stuff from Apple. I just read an article on this the other day.

Either way- pretty funny

South Korean Court Bans Both Apple and Samsung Products-samsung-apple.jpg

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This news cheered my day up.
    I always got the impression that Apple was the originator of the frivolous litigation.
    They should have a three strikes and you're out rule.
    Three unsuccessful patent prosecutions within three years and you have to wait two years before you can lodge another one.
    Another three within three years and you have to wait another five years and so on.
    Apple would then be forced to rely on natural competition for success.
    If only they had an idea just how much loathing their foot-stamping brattishness creates towards them.
    While I love their products, I find myself utterly delighted every time I see Apple get kicked in the nuts.

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Micturition View Post
    I still cant help but think this all the Patents Office's fault..
    LOL thats kinda funny as hell they both lose and get banned probably there way of forcing them to work a deal out but im sure one market as small as south korea isnt that big a deal to either company but still funny

iPhone? More like MyPhone VerizonIphone4_help's Avatar
    Thanks

i like this too, some small fine with now you both can't sell. But for the consumer's sake make the ban temporary.

Banned
    Thanks

HAHAHAHAHA
    This is a great outcome. Pity the fines are so low. But in the end Apple pay Samsung more. Apple lose! About time we have a good ending story

iPhone? More like MyPhone fredHD's Avatar
    Thanks

Samsung must pay what ? 22,00 ??? Or is it 2,200 ? either way this patents war is getting a bit too much now. This companies make billions it's getting childish now.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA
    This is a great outcome. Pity the fines are so low. But in the end Apple pay Samsung more. Apple lose! About time we have a good ending story
    Apple is still the best and rated number1 this just allowed them more publicity and they will sell 250 million of the new I phone next month and will be laughing all the way to the bank you rock Apple.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA
    And why are you happy about that?
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

LOL if I was there to witness the ruling I would've been lmao. Thats comedy.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    LOL thats kinda funny as hell they both lose and get banned probably there way of forcing them to work a deal out but im sure one market as small as south korea isnt that big a deal to either company but still funny
    Um, South Korea is a big market. Twice as many cell phones in use as Canada. Very technology forward. Not to mention Samsung's home country.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
    Um, South Korea is a big market. Twice as many cell phones in use as Canada. Very technology forward. Not to mention Samsung's home country.
    I see this a bigger loss for samsung than apple! As you say it's their home market and a loyal market at that!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

^ lol was just going to say the same thing... since when was SK a "small market" lol...