+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'MissionBoard' is a New App Switcher With Great Potential

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Just last week we previewed for you an upcoming jailbreak tweak known as Dash . It’s likely that Dash will be out sometime this week, but in the meantime, another
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default 'MissionBoard' is a New App Switcher With Great Potential

Just last week we previewed for you an upcoming jailbreak tweak known as Dash. It’s likely that Dash will be out sometime this week, but in the meantime, another interesting multitasking tweak is now live in the Cydia store and it’s absolutely free! The new tweak is called MissionBoard by iOS developer John Coates and the idea for the interface comes from a concept creator named Joost van der Ree.

As shown, the interface follows a vertical scrolling method and shows all open applications with a screenshot of its last activity. Each screenshot is labeled with the application name and an icon of the application below it. In addition, the new application switcher shows you the Status Bar up at the top, so you can view that important information while moving through applications.

What do you think of when “App Switcher” comes to mind? Switching between applications? Closing out of ones that you are done using? – Apple has taken a torch and burned this thought into our minds with the introduction of their App Switcher in iOS 4. Unfortunately, MissionBoard only handles one of these functions – switching between applications. It doesn’t come with a way to actually close out of applications from the background.

The good news is, since the MissionBoard interface is invoked by an Activator action, you can set it separately from Apple’s version of the App Switcher to use Apple’s App Switcher for closing out of applications and MissionBoard simply for your multitasking needs. For now however, you should not set the Activator action to double-pressing the home button because it will launch both MissionBoard and the App Switcher simultaneously. We have reached out to the developer to discuss this issue and the ability to close applications from MissionBoard and we will keep you guys updated when we hear back from him.

In terms of appearance, I would say the tweak is an easy 4/5. The problem is the functionality, which seems limited in comparison to Apple’s own App Switcher. If you aren’t the kind of person that cleans up after yourself when using applications on your iOS device, then maybe MissionBoard will be just fine for you how it sits. If you are always cleaning up after yourself, you would either be better off skipping MissionBoard, or if you like the interface too much, using a hybrid between MissionBoard and Apple’s implementation.

When you go into the Settings application, you will find a preferences pane for MissionBoard that contains only two options – the ability to enable and disable the tweak on demand and the ability to set an Activator action for using the application-switching interface. Every time you enable or disable the tweak, you will need to respring your device.

MissionBoard requires iOS 5 to install, but the good news is the developer did include support for the iPad as well as the iPhone and iPod touch. Since the tweak is supported on multiple devices, everyone will get a chance to try this free tweak out if they would like to. As of this writing, I can’t recommend the tweak as a replacement for the App Switcher, but maybe a future update could change that.

Name: MissionBoard
    Price: FREE
    Version: 1.1
    Requirements: iOS 5
    Repo: BigBoss
    Developer: John Coates
    Editor's Rating: / 2.5/5
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 08-22-2012 at 05:17 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

H4CK3R (08-23-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Slim J's Avatar
    Thanks

I like the idea, but it needs a little bit more of the normal functions added in. If it gets updated with that, I would give it a 5

Thanks

Reminds me of Mission Control of OSX Lion and M. Lion. Pretty neat IMO. Although I agree, it could use some more functionality.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

no mention of tweaktuesday???????

iPhone? More like MyPhone Mc-Lovin_341's Avatar
    Thanks

Seems to work a lot better on my iPhone than my iPad, Seems to just close after I let go of my activation key (short hold on home button)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

so its like cardswitchers second mode,without closing apps

Thanks

Tried it, didn't like it- though it WAS free.

I'm waiting to try Dash (even though I assume it will be for $).

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wrcsti View Post
    so its like cardswitchers second mode,without closing apps
    I was gonna say the same thing. CardSwitcher even preserves your background and you can even see some apps updating live in card mode. Maybe its because this is free?

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

when making a hack like this why does NO ONE ever:
    make a close all running apps button?
    they never do a brightness control
    and i almost never see a way to disable or enable rotation lock/pause music/next track/previous track

iPhone? More like MyPhone dannyrocket's Avatar
    Thanks

I like it but could use a little more work. I will also try Dash when released.

Thanks

this is nice but no feature to close apps? and is there a way to disable native task switcher? I set this to double tap home button and task switcher shows up also.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

I got this yesterday and I really liked it. It could easily replace my multitask switcher if I decide to do it.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

Thanks

this just got updated to support closing tasks as well if you set it to double tap home button, it won't bring up the native task switch switcher. works well.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Alright everybody. Great news. The developer got back to me and version 1.2 has been submitted that fixes the problem with the App Switcher appearing when you set double-pressing the home button as the Activator action for MissionBoard.

Also, the developer has added the ability to close out of the applications in the background. The update should be live some time in the next 24-48 hours. Happy downloading!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

H4CK3R (08-23-2012)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

n/m...
    Last edited by edwilk55; 08-27-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    How do you operate the screen rotate/fix function with this installed? It's on the apple switcher.....

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Borischan View Post
    How do you operate the screen rotate/fix function with this installed? It's on the apple switcher.....
    That is not included with this tweak.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.