+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T: We Are Allowed to Block FaceTime Over Cellular

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
In all of the recent criticisms against AT&T for choosing to limit FaceTime over cellular networks to those in AT&T’s shared data plans, AT&T has finally come forward with a
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default AT&T: We Are Allowed to Block FaceTime Over Cellular

In all of the recent criticisms against AT&T for choosing to limit FaceTime over cellular networks to those in AT&T’s shared data plans, AT&T has finally come forward with a response to those complaining about the decision in their blog. AT&T claims that because FaceTime over cellular networks is a pre-installed application on Apple’s devices, AT&T is allowed to block FaceTime from whomever they want, to their heart’s content:

Quote Originally Posted by AT&T
    The FCC’s net neutrality rules do not regulate the availability to customers of applications that are preloaded on phones. Indeed, the rules do not require that providers make available any preloaded apps. Rather, they address whether customers are able to download apps that compete with our voice or video telephony services. AT&T does not restrict customers from downloading any such lawful applications, and there are several video chat apps available in the various app stores serving particular operating systems. (I won’t name any of them for fear that I will be accused by these same groups of discriminating in favor of those apps. But just go to your app store on your device and type “video chat.”) Therefore, there is no net neutrality violation.
    Since FaceTime is an application that is already on mobile devices from the factory, AT&T claims that it is different from any third party services that can be downloaded from the App Store and similarly used to obtain video calling features over the cellular network. AT&T also openly states that they cannot and will not limit the activity of users with third party video calling applications such as Skype, Tango, ooVoo, and many others, although AT&T refused to name any specific applications out of fear of being accused for being favorable.

While AT&T may be playing along with the rules in their book, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realize that the company is doing this purposely with no real reasoning besides money. Several other comparable iPhone carriers will be allowing users to use the FaceTime over cellular feature without blocking it from certain users without specific data plans or charging extra to use the feature. For this, some people may move over to different companies.

Even though AT&T plans to block FaceTime over cellular for certain subscribers, jailbreak tweaks can allow the feature to be used on jailbroken devices. Additionally, users can always connect to a Wi-Fi network to use FaceTime, as AT&T cannot control what you do over Wi-Fi.

According to AT&T’s blog, AT&T plans to monitor the usage of FaceTime over cellular to learn about the impacts of the feature on their cellular network. We have a feeling it won’t be much and even after AT&T finally learns this, they will probably still block most of us from it for the fun of having control over things.

Sources: AT&T blog via 9to5Mac
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 08-22-2012 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks

Kiss my...
    Face break baby

iPhone? More like MyPhone Breezy215's Avatar
    Thanks

This is the first time in the 4 years I've been a loyal AT&T customer that I've seriously considered jumping ship & joining the "Big Red"... And it's not simply because of "FaceTime" limitations, it's more due to their principals behind it & their diminishing lack of care &/or loyalty to its customers... Pitiful I must say...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Att wants to be a ****, why doesnt apple just make facetime downloadable instead of preinstalled for ios6 to be a **** back. Only makes sense, but you know it wont happen.
    Last edited by BioFUSION; 08-22-2012 at 12:28 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I think a better response would have been something akin to "we want to see what kind of impact it has so we are limiting it to our shared data plan subscribers only, first" and if it isn't eating up too much bandwidth, roll it out to more subscribers. Very similar to how Apple had limited Siri to iPhone 4S first and then are now rolling it out to iPads to manage server load properly and make sure the service is scalable.

But, no, instead we get AT&T saying "we're allowed to do this, so STFU" because the reality is, they don't want to have to keep paying to improve their network just so we can video chat using an integrated service like FaceTime.

I swear, if there was another carrier that would give me unlimited data on the new iPhone with LTE, I'd tell AT&T to get bent. I won't go Verizon because they are basically the other side of the same coin.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I agree with you Breezy. All this ******** AT&T has been doing has me thinking of switching to verizon as well. The only thing holding me back is my AT&T grandfathered Unlimited data plan.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x_IMMORTAL_x View Post
    I agree with you Breezy. All this ******** AT&T has been doing has me thinking of switching to verizon as well. The only thing holding me back is my AT&T grandfathered Unlimited data plan.
    well my friend, next month tmobile will be offering a truly unlimited plan with no throttling. once they upgrade their network to accommodate iphone, I may jump. AT&T is in a cushy spot now since while vz and sprint offer iphone, AT&T is the only official gsm carrier in the us that does.

Thanks

What's with all the hype over this anyway? Tango, Skype and few other do the job and if not better than face time. To my knowledge face time is limited to i Devices platform only so the mentioned apps have another advantage over face time.

ATT is surely ruining their reputation with many recent policy changes. People are starting to notice and I think ATT should pay attention and realize the source of their revenue.

point in case:
    This is the first time in the 4 years I've been a loyal AT&T customer that I've seriously considered jumping ship & joining the "Big Red"... And it's not simply because of "FaceTime" limitations, it's more due to their principals behind it & their diminishing lack of care &/or loyalty to its customers... Pitiful I must say...
    Hit the thanks button if I helped in any way

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 670 Posts

Last time I looked FaceTime isn't a installed app. I don't see a app icon on my screen. It's a feature that works with the phone app. Just like yahoo. Yahoo is a app but the video chat is a feature thats part of the yahoo app.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Last time I looked FaceTime isn't a installed app. I don't see a app icon on my screen. It's a feature that works with the phone app. Just like yahoo. Yahoo is a app but the video chat is a feature thats part of the yahoo app.
    It's definitely an application but I agree with your point of view. Furthermore, what is a difference between it and say Tango or Skype? - none they both serve the same purpose and can be either turned off or uninstalled. I think ATT is riding a thin line here and just making up excuses for revenue. As I said a post earlier, they need to realize the source of their revenue. I guess bribing people into the """"HORRIBLE"""" shared plans sounded like an idea to someone at ATT.
    Hit the thanks button if I helped in any way

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

so, apple could pull the app from being pre-installed and make it a download like iBooks. problem solved. That would be funny.

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    It actually is an application. The reason for the icon being absent on the iPhone is because of the law of design – Apple does not like redundancy. The iPad and iPod touch lack the Phone application and therefore have the standalone FaceTime application on the home screen:

Although if AT&T can use loopholes to their advantage, why can't we? It is a good point that you point out.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Tmobile please get the iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

These are the times I hate being an AT&T customer

Green Apple
    Thanks

This decision will also impact other people, as you can not do a Facetime with someone who is using AT&T non-shared dara plan, even if you are on wifi or with a different operator ...
    This really sucks ..

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by midnyt View Post
    so, apple could pull the app from being pre-installed and make it a download like iBooks. problem solved. That would be funny.
    It's not a "standalone" app on the iPhone. It's baked into the phone app/OS. No app on the screen like with the iPad or Mac (because they don't have phone apps.) Now that's not to say apple couldn't separate the two, a la Music and Video apps, and make it downloadable. I'd love to see it, actually, as a big SCREW YOU to AT&T for hindering the iPhone at every turn (first MMS, then cutting data plans, etc.) Actually, I'd love it if they pulled the iPhone from AT&T entirely, just for being so blatantly anti-consumer, which is the antithesis of Apple.

Edit: Ha. Anthony beat me to half my point. Bravo, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvio6 View Post
    This decision will also impact other people, as you can not do a Facetime with someone who is using AT&T non-shared dara plan, even if you are on wifi or with a different operator ...
    This really sucks ..
    Why wouldn't it work over wifi? They're only blocking it over cellular data.
    Last edited by claustin; 08-22-2012 at 12:59 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    It actually is an application. The reason for the icon being absent on the iPhone is because of the law of design Apple does not like redundancy. The iPad and iPod touch lack the Phone application and therefore have the standalone FaceTime application on the home screen:

Although if AT&T can use loopholes to their advantage, why can't we? It is a good point that you point out.
    I'm glad you pointed this out. A lot of people don't understand the slight differences between the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touches (as well as the different models). I solely doubt that Apple would even consider making it an App available in the App Store. Apple prides itself in saying that all of their devices are FaceTime available as soon as you unbox it.

Livin the iPhone Life BenderRodriguez's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    It actually is an application. The reason for the icon being absent on the iPhone is because of the law of design – Apple does not like redundancy. The iPad and iPod touch lack the Phone application and therefore have the standalone FaceTime application on the home screen:

Good thing Unrestrictor Exists am I right?

My iPhone is a Part of Me PokemonDesigner's Avatar
    Thanks

This is why I chose Verizon. They don't block any built in features of iPhones or androids. They let all of it go (except tethering for a hotspot) for free and no extra cost unless you go over your plan. Screw you AT&T. And I just wanted to say that FaceTime over 3G is amazingly helpful when a friend with only an iPod wants to call me and I can just FaceTime anywhere at anytime.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've been thinking about switching to the V but a $400 activation fee is a hell of a lot of money specially after paying $400 for the phone