+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T: We Are Allowed to Block FaceTime Over Cellular

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by Breezy215 This is the first time in the 4 years I've been a loyal AT&T customer that I've seriously considered jumping ship & joining the "Big Red"...
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Breezy215 View Post
    This is the first time in the 4 years I've been a loyal AT&T customer that I've seriously considered jumping ship & joining the "Big Red"... And it's not simply because of "FaceTime" limitations, it's more due to their principals behind it & their diminishing lack of care &/or loyalty to its customers... Pitiful I must say...
    AT&T is crazy stupid!!! I've been an ATT customer since iPHone 1....but once iPhone 5 comes out with Verizon LTE4 goodness.....it's buh-bye ATT!!!
    And I'm sure I'm not the only person thinking this!!!

*T*
    Thanks

AT&T's reasoning is simple: FaceTime interferes with regular phone services.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgunaca View Post
    I think a better response would have been something akin to "we want to see what kind of impact it has so we are limiting it to our shared data plan subscribers only, first" and if it isn't eating up too much bandwidth, roll it out to more subscribers. Very similar to how Apple had limited Siri to iPhone 4S first and then are now rolling it out to iPads to manage server load properly and make sure the service is scalable.

But, no, instead we get AT&T saying "we're allowed to do this, so STFU" because the reality is, they don't want to have to keep paying to improve their network just so we can video chat using an integrated service like FaceTime.

I swear, if there was another carrier that would give me unlimited data on the new iPhone with LTE, I'd tell AT&T to get bent. I won't go Verizon because they are basically the other side of the same coin.
    Sprint man. I know it sounds like a joke, but they have their LTE rolling out now. Although AT&T will be faster, with speeds of 7-8 MBPS and unlimited, no throttling, data Sprint seems to be a good choice in the near future. They're even rolling out LTE Advanced next year I hear.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,608 Times in 667 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by danelgran View Post
    AT&T is crazy stupid!!! I've been an ATT customer since iPHone 1....but once iPhone 5 comes out with Verizon LTE4 goodness.....it's buh-bye ATT!!!
    And I'm sure I'm not the only person thinking this!!!
    Well i know i have, I've been with ATT for about 10 yrs and cant complain about the CS. But with there lack of LTE and they have no plans to have LTE in my area? Im thinking of pulling my 3 lines and going to big red.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Would the connection be treated any differently if I make a VPN connection from my iPhone to my home network, in regard to AT&T looking for cellular FT calls? It's a data stream through the cellular, but ultimately out of my home network\ISP then, right? I use My3G for FT calls now. I'll have to test it with VPN connected with my neighbor. Might be able to slip under AT&T's radar when they start checking.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,751 Times in 2,641 Posts

ATNT is beginning to behave like apple , having so much restrictions. I am sure there are other providers which will allow Facetime over 3g without additional charges.

Thanks

I'm waiting for the new iPhone and hoping t-mobile gets the new iPhone and then bye bye AT&T! I've been wanting to switch to t-mobile for sometime but the iPhone is what stopped me.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

When company gets big this is what happens, they do not care about their customers. The only thing they care about is how to get that extra penny. Because a penny from every one of their customers means millions more in profit. My contract is up in September, going to switch my phone service not because of just this but for $90+/mo bill for 1 cellphone is just ridiculous.

iPhone? More like MyPhone kyphur's Avatar
    Thanks

It's ironic that at&t is basically saying Facetime is an inferior Video Calling app, I wonder how Apple feels about that?

It's stupid that at&t would limit a singular Video Call app.

All they're doing is pissing longtime customers off.

Honestly we use Skype more than FT (which is apple's own fault) so functionally I don't care but idealogicly it annoys me that they're using a bogus argument to move people to the bad deal that shared data plans really are.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaStA819's Avatar
    Thanks

I've never even used facetime...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaStA819 View Post
    I've never even used facetime...
    I rarely use it, but it's unfair and stupid that AT&T gets to chose how we use our data.

Banned
    Thanks

At&t sucks im definitely switching to verizon after my plans up

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kyphur View Post
    It's ironic that at&t is basically saying Facetime is an inferior Video Calling app, I wonder how Apple feels about that?
    I do not believe they said anything along those lines. They simply want to charge a premium for the user's right to use it getting tied into expensive shared data plans.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Has anybody heard if the next gen iPhone 5 will finally support concurrent data and voice on Verizon? If they supported that and would let me have unlimited data, I'd move all my phones ove in a NY minute. I bet I could get them to concede the unlimited, I just have times when the concurrency is really nice for what I do. I could (and probably will) live without it though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LearningMan View Post
    Has anybody heard if the next gen iPhone 5 will finally support concurrent data and voice on Verizon? If they supported that and would let me have unlimited data, I'd move all my phones ove in a NY minute. I bet I could get them to concede the unlimited, I just have times when the concurrency is really nice for what I do. I could (and probably will) live without it though.
    It's all just rumors bro. No one really knows unless they are the select few in Apple

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Honestly, this does not affect me at all (in regards to my iphone and or service), it does however...upset me. I have always been a fan of AT&T, and they have always treated me great...Besides that one time when they threatened to switch my plan (effectively taking away my grandfather status) without my consent, and automatically enroll me into a plan which they felt best suited my needs...I'm speaking of the Tethering debacle in case you're wondering. Well it all worked out, they never switched me, just tried to use scare tactics and bully me into something I didn't want or need. Not very nice, but I forgave them.

Anyways...As a loyal AT&T customer, who always defends (defended) AT&T when others would say how much they sucked and Verizon is awesome and blah blah blah... It sucks to see them make these horrible PR decisions. They have made themselves....un-defendable!! Its not what I think as a individual/unaffected customer that matters...What really matters is how the public sees and perceives them and their seemingly greedy practices. They already have a bad reputation, yet they continue to to make decisions based solely on how it will (might) help the network, and of course...profits. It doesn't seem like they ever stop to think about how they will come across in ther public. And coming off as "greedy" in this day and age is a VERY BAD thing.

Do they have a PR department? Do they know what PR is? They really need to start looking at the pros and cons when making these kind of technical decisions, and then decide if it is worth it. This is a perfect example. Is the small, small decrease of traffic on their network (if any )...worth the HUGE hit their reputation will take? I highly doubt it.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

You ATT brock Facetime from us, we block you from our life, we got options.

iPhone? More like MyPhone BhadKarma's Avatar
    Thanks

Loop
    Hole them.
    Make users download it in the app stores

Thanks

I was totally pissed off with ATT. This Facetime thing is yet another reason to leave them, which I did yesterday.

My iPhone is a Part of Me ddonuts4's Avatar
    Thanks

AT&T: We Are Allowed to Block FaceTime Over Cellular
    Me: Then I'm allowed to switch to another carrier