Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Wins Patent for So-Called iPhone Display Shock Absorber

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default Apple Wins Patent for So-Called iPhone Display Shock Absorber

Add another one to the mounting pile of patents secured by Apple in recent months as the tech giant reportedly readies a number of new and refreshed products to make their market debut in the coming weeks.

This week, Apple officially obtained the patent for what's being described as shock-absorbing rubber coating designed to better protect the iPhone and its sensitive internal and external components.

According to Apple's description of the design in question:

This invention is directed to reducing the effect of shocks on electronic device components. The electronic device component may be surrounded by a boundary element operative to deform in response to impacts. By deforming, the boundary element may be operative to absorb energy received by the shock or impact without passing the energy on to the electronic device component.
    Our friends at Apple Insider were the first to discover the patent (U.S. Patent No. 8,248,777), which is labeled as "Viscoelastic Material for Shock Protection in an Electronic Device." Apple was officially awarded the patent just this morning.

Sources: USPTO, Apple Insider

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

That's sounds pretty cool. Maybe this will erase the need for cases. I surely hope so.

I assume there are technical drawings and more description of the patent in the filings. This s what a patent should be. This actually gives a competitive edge unlike all the software patents that we're suing over (both sides).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,757 Times in 894 Posts

So that means no one can make a phone with a rubber outside? Like that old Nokia from years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoUniversity View Post
    That's sounds pretty cool. Maybe this will erase the need for cases. I surely hope so.
    Nah, they just patented their bumper case. Now all other companies won't be able to sell TPC cases for phones cause it violates apples patent.

Thanks to Antennagate and the millions of cases apple gave away the least they could do was patent it.

So let me get this straight... The description is very vague. Did apple just win a patent for an iPhone case...? If so, that's ridiculous. They definitely didn't come up with THAT.
    Last edited by ddonuts4; 08-21-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KraXik View Post
    So that means no one can make a phone with a rubber outside? Like that old Nokia from years ago?
    I believe the patent is for the rubber to be strategically placed so as to protect the screen from damage, not just cover the phone and just work as a simple case.

Quote Originally Posted by Breezer23 View Post
    I assume there are technical drawings and more description of the patent in the filings. This s what a patent should be. This actually gives a competitive edge unlike all the software patents that we're suing over (both sides).
    Agreed. You know it's so pathetic they are fighting over software when both should accept what they violated and do an easy software update!

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoUniversity View Post
    You don't want your precious iPhone to look all beat up now do you? Although it's nice to know the internal component has an extra layer of protection.

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xclusiveiphone View Post
    You don't want your precious iPhone to look all beat up now do you? Although it's nice to know the internal component has an extra layer of protection.
    I also don't want my precious Galaxy SIII to look beat up either. Lol.

This sounds like it would be a material on the inside of the housing to protect the electronic components.