+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Accused of Violating FCC Rules over FaceTime over Cellular Restriction

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by confucious I can't imagine my family being in physical danger. Violence is unacceptable so doesnt happen where I live. If you think violence is acceptable then you
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    I can't imagine my family being in physical danger. Violence is unacceptable so doesnt happen where I live.

If you think violence is acceptable then you will always live in fear of it.
    We don't live in fear of it any more than we might worry about having a car accident. You buy car insurance, and wear your seat belt. Thus, you're prepared - just in case. In a similar manner, we do not worry about violence. While the chances of a violent encounter with someone is very low (much lower than a car wreck), some of us still prepare for it mentally and physically - but expectation is that we will not encounter any violence, much in the same manner that we get in the car with the expectation that we will not have a wreck. It's a very low risk in actuality. But worth preparing for, because the results can be disastrous if you're not ready.

There's a great analogy put forth by Dave Grossman. Read his webpage here. He categorizes people into three broad categories: sheep, wolves, and sheepdogs. 98% of people are sheep - they are calm easy-going pacifists. Couldn't hurt each other even if they tried; it's not in their nature to do so, and can't understand why some people heinous acts against their fellow humans. If you're part of this group, that's great! Almost everyone else is too. But then you have the wolves of the world. These are the people who are loners with the desire to harm their fellow humans. The psychopaths, the sociopaths, and the other malcontents that seemingly enjoy to hurt other people and feed off of their pain. The world can do without them. Until that happens tho, we will have sheepdogs. Now sheepdogs are a funny breed. They love sheep. They want to do everything they can to protect them. But they also realize that the wolves are out there, which makes the sheepdogs suspicious by nature. Sheepdogs are always checking things out and being cautious. The sheep do not care much for the sheepdogs either. The sheepdogs teeth remind them of the wolves. And the sheepdog's stare is disconcerting. But you let a wolf get into the fold, and you'll suddenly have 75 sheep trying to hide behind one sheepdog. And that sheepdog will take on a pack of wolves to protect the sheep. For no other reason than they know that the sheep cannot protect themselves.

Dave goes on to explain that there's a wide range of sheepdogs. You have the father, determined to protect his family, at one end, and the professional soldier/police at the other end. I am a sheepdog. I have a family that God has given the responsibility of protecting to me. I take that responsibility seriously. I am also a member of my sheriffs office emergency rescue squad. I care for my fellow humans. I will do what I can to protect them, and help them during difficult times. It's part of my nature; the nature of a sheepdog.

Thanks

That makes me a sheep. And being half Welsh that makes me very scared....
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Violence is a part of life. Every human being that exist today would not be here without some form of violence. Countries, tribes and familys have gone to war since the dawn of time over everything from land to slight disrespect.

Of course in an everyday setting it should be avoided, however it isn't far fetched (nor Jersey Shore) to get punched in your mouth for running it out of place to the wrong person. I feel that's a good thing actually. Not that everyone run around punching each other. Put the idea that those people out there that feel entitled and act rude for no reason somehow "learn a quick lesson" makes me happy.

Either way, sorry for the change of direction in this post. I'm really a nice guy if you get to know me LOL Plus the last place I take seriously is the Internet.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Guys - thanks for a good laugh. The last few posts were excellent. I love the sheepdog analogy.

Trek - what I've failed miserably at pointing out is that asking someone to take a conversation private in no more disrespectful than than having said conversation. Your assumption that I got in your little girl's face and told her to shut the f up is what spun me up. I'm all for the kick in teeth when someone is being an a-hole and think they should be called out for it. At the same time, people need to look in the mirror from time to time and look at their own actions.
    I spend a huge part of my life on airplanes and am dreading the day that cellular service is available in flight because I know it will be abused. It's bad enough 30seconds after a plane touches down because people can't wait 5 more minutes to get int eh terminal to make those oh so important phone calls. Social etiquette and little common courtesy go a long way towards preventing those "punch in the mouth" situations from ever arising in the first place.

So how about those punks at AT&T blocking our FaceTime?

Thanks

I don't understand how people think that punching other people is not only acceptable but common. It is not either.
    I would hate to live somewhere where violence is actually accepted!
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123