+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 'DietBulletin' Makes Banners Smaller and Better

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
If you would like your banners to not only be smaller on your screen, but also to display content more efficiently while doing so, then check out a new free
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 766 Posts

Default 'DietBulletin' Makes Banners Smaller and Better

If you would like your banners to not only be smaller on your screen, but also to display content more efficiently while doing so, then check out a new free jailbreak tweak called DietBulletin by iOS hacker and developer Ryan Petrich. It makes your banner notifications exactly the size of the Status Bar instead of being twice the size. What sets it apart from similar tweaks, such as SmallBanners, is that it comes with more customization, does more, and looks better.

DietBulletin looks better because instead of just being one half of a banner cut in half like SmallBanners is, the entire banner itself has rounded edges to make it look like a native banner, only smaller. In addition, any text that is too long for the banner to display will actually scroll from right to left so you can read all of it instead of just having stand-still text where you can only see between 4-8 words of the notification:

Not only is the text scrolling from the right to the left demonstrated in the screenshot above, but also is the ability to hide and show the application names in the banner. Since the banners show the application icons, there is really no reason to have the name of the application showing. It just takes up space in the banner and makes it so you have less room to read the actual notification.

Choosing to hide or show the application names is done from the DietBulletin preferences pane (shown above) from the Settings application. From here, all applications are enabled by default, meaning that all application names will be shown. By turning any of the switches off, you are saying that you don’t want the toggled off applications to show their names in notification banners. The icons for the applications will still be shown on the left side of the banner. The tweak does not require a respring for this setting and its effects are immediate.

While DietBulletin is free, you will only find it on Ryan Petrich’s private repository. You can add it by opening Cydia and going to the Manage tab, tapping on Sources, tapping on the Edit button, tapping on the Add button, typing in the URL below and adding the source:

PHP Code:
    http://rpetri.ch/repo/ 
    The smaller banners will be less intrusive when you’re in applications, making it much easier to tap on navigation buttons without accidentally tapping on the banner itself and launching the application you have the notification from. For a free tweak, it’s worth checking out.

Name: DietBulletin
    Price: FREE
    Version: 0.5
    Requirements: iOS 5
    Repo: Ryan Petrich's private repository
    Developer: Ryan Petrich
    Editor's Rating:  4/5
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 08-20-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Thanks

I don't see why you would want to toggle titles for individual apps. Other than that it's better than SmallBanners.

iPhone? More like MyPhone shmi117's Avatar
    Thanks

It seems as if Ryan Petrich just one-ups every tweak that gets released. What a boss.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does it compatible with Maximization tweak?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Awesome, this is a WAY better looking than SmallBanners. Works a treat with NowListening too.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zokunei View Post
    I don't see why you would want to toggle titles for individual apps. Other than that it's better than SmallBanners.
    some apps might be easier to distinguish by icon than others?

Thanks

I've been waiting for a tweak like this. THANK YOU...

Thanks

Im
    Sorry but am i the only one whos starting to see these tweaks as pointless? First thindicator and now this -_-

Thanks

Does it work with NCDismiss? Or whichever tweak gives a close button for the notification....

Perhaps Ryan could add a feature to swipe a certain direction to dismiss a notification? Or that might conflict with Activator gestures related to the status bar. I don't really know since I'm not a developer.

Either way, this is super cool. Thanks Ryan!

Thanks

Hum! wonder if this would work with CHIP!

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank the lord for this! I was disappointed with SmallBanners because of the way it looked and how it didn't function correctly to me.

DietBulletin seems to be my answer.

Thanks

I have been looking for a tweak like this for so long! And its free?! THANK YOU.