+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Now is a Good Time to Sell Your Old iPhone

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Similar to the trend that occurs every year, resale prices of the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 will start falling at a higher rate due to rumors of the next-generation
    Thanks

Default Now is a Good Time to Sell Your Old iPhone

Similar to the trend that occurs every year, resale prices of the iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 will start falling at a higher rate due to rumors of the next-generation iPhone making its debut in less than a month. Since the new iPhone is likely to have a larger screen, thinner design, support 4G LTE networks, and not be what many consider to be a small incremental upgrade, many people are planning on making the purchase once Apple announces and releases the device. This in turn means that a lot of older iPhones are either on the market now or will be in the near future.

Both Gazelle and NextWorth are two popular sites that specialize in electronic gadget repurchases and tend to be good indicators of the general trend of iPhone resale prices. Below you can find two graphs that show information regarding resale prices of the iPhone 4S back when the iPhone 4S was announced:

Based on the information, right now might be the best time to sell your iPhone if you plan on making the purchase. According to Gazelle’s Chief Gadget Officer, Anthony Scarsella:

That precipitous decline in trade-in prices for the iPhone 4S hasn't occurred quite yet, Gazelle's Chief Gadget Officer Anthony Scarsella said in a telephone interview: A 16GB AT&T iPhone 4S in good condition still fetches $277 on Gazelle, or more than enough to defray the initial cost of buying a 16GB AT&T iPhone 5 when it becomes available next month.
    [...]

Scarsella assumes that the bottom will fall out of these inflated iPhone prices near the beginning of September, or about two weeks before Apple's iPhone event and three weeks before the actual release; that's in line with when prices started falling last year.
    Considering right now seems to be the best time to sell your iPhone 4S or iPhone 4 to prepare for the next-generation iPhone, you may find the following chart useful when it comes to current models and pricing on both Gazelle and NextWorth:

There seem to be variations depending on your carrier and color of the device but overall, it appears that Gazelle is the better option to sell on. You might be able to snag a better deal for your iPhone on eBay or Craigslist if you are willing to deal with potential buyers on either. This brings us to the main questions: Are you buying the next-generation iPhone? If so, when do you plan on selling your current phone?

Source: CNET, Gazelle, Huffington Post, NextWorth via iPhoneHacks
    Last edited by Akshay Masand; 08-20-2012 at 12:02 AM.

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

Thanks

People are better off selling their 4S on Craigslist it's a little risky but if your smart, you can get $400 for a good condition 16gb 4S. I just sold my 64GB 4S unlock with gevey with AppleCare for $700, so I'm ready for the next iPhone! Rocking an old school nokia for now. But I think these sites will still make bank considering its faster and no waiting like you do if you post your 4S on Craiglist or eBay. Plus Craigslist is full with lowballers and hustlers.
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm hold off for more information before I sell my 4S. If the new iPhone is LTE I would risk losing my grandfathered unlimited plan.

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,058 Times in 4,202 Posts

Not selling mine keeping all my iPhones

iPhone? More like MyPhone evolution83's Avatar
    Thanks

I think this is one time I'll be keeping my phone and not selling. Reason being, if I sell my phone now I won't have a phone to use until the new one comes out.

So, I'd rather keep my 4 as a backup for the future when I sell upcoming models.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well considering I sold my iPhone 4 16 gig on eBay last Sunday for $310.00 I think I'd consider that a good deal

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I also sold my iphone 4s 16GB on craigslist for $450. Now is the perfect time to sell if you want top dollar for your phone.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I am not gonna lie, iPhones hold their value pretty well. Getting 50% back on a phone you used for two years isn't horrible.

Thanks

Sold my 4S months ago. 16GB, white for $350. I only paid $199 so not bad at all. Not sure who is having issues with CL. Meet in a public place like a food court or something and you'll be fine. Always works for me. Happy shopping :]

Livin the iPhone Life Silverado1987's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 706 Posts

Sold my 4 last year for $200. Got my money back and paid an extra $100 and got my 32gb 4s.

The Jack White of Photoshop Hosko817's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 411 Posts

my iphone 4 32 gig is stuck in dock mode and needs a replacement dock connector. I figure while I'm at it i might as well replace the front and back glass. I can replace the back glass no problem myself for the $20 price of the glass. The rest isnt something I'm comfortable doing myself (despite how easy it looks on YouTube). I wonder if just paying a place to do all 3 would be done fast enough to get me a good return before the prices drop significantly?

iPhone? More like MyPhone Tario70's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been debating what to do with my Old Bootrom 3GS that I've been using since launch day. It's still on 05.13.04 BB so completely unlockable, but at the same time I'll probably just have AT&T unlock it when I upgrade. That, of course, is the problem. I still use my 3GS daily (& have done so since launch) so I can't sell it before the new iPhone comes out because then I'll be without a phone. Guess I'll see what it's worth once the new iPhone is out.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

There's no rush to sell at all. The 4s will command high re-sale prices just as soon as folks realize that the new iPhone, like all its predecessors, will not be either jailbreakable nor unlockable for a while. And, that is exactly why I won't be upgrading to the new iPhone until they are minimally able to be jailbroken.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    There's no rush to sell at all. The 4s will command high re-sale prices just as soon as folks realize that the new iPhone, like all its predecessors, will not be either jailbreakable nor unlockable for a while. And, that is exactly why I won't be upgrading to the new iPhone until they are minimally able to be jailbroken.
    I don't remember it taking long to jailbreak the iPhone 4S. Its pretty much the same as the last with some upgrades. The entire blog is complaining about "nothing new" and all that. So I don't see why a jailbreak would take very long. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Funny, I just swapped my sim to one of my dev phones (Samsung Focus), gave my wife my 4S and stuck her 16GB Black 4 on eBay last night. Just sold for $350. I do this every year at upgrade time! After buying the next one for $200 with contract renewal, I make money upgrading one of the lines each year.

Thanks

Sorry I'm keeping my investment. The only thing better than the new iPhone is the new iPhone and your old one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigboyz View Post
    I don't remember it taking long to jailbreak the iPhone 4S. Its pretty much the same as the last with some upgrades. The entire blog is complaining about "nothing new" and all that. So I don't see why a jailbreak would take very long. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
    iPhone 4s release date - October 7, 2011
    Jailbreak for iPhone 4s - May 25, 2012

And as for "nothing new" how about the entire hardware, most importantly the processing chip.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z6joker9 View Post
    Funny, I just swapped my sim to one of my dev phones (Samsung Focus), gave my wife my 4S and stuck her 16GB Black 4 on eBay last night. Just sold for $350. I do this every year at upgrade time! After buying the next one for $200 with contract renewal, I make money upgrading one of the lines each year.
    You sold a iphone 4 for $350??? I'm about to do that! Hopefully I have the same luck.

iPhone? More like MyPhone joshlogic's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tsatryan View Post
    iPhone 4s release date - October 7, 2011
    Jailbreak for iPhone 4s - May 25, 2012

And as for "nothing new" how about the entire hardware, most importantly the processing chip.
    4s was jailbroken in January.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joshlogic View Post
    4s was jailbroken in January.
    I stand corrected - January 20, 2012 to be exact.
    That is still three months from release to jailbreak, which still makes my point.