+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Upcoming Tweak 'Dash' is an Eye-candy Multitasking Interface for iOS

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Most people will agree that iOS has a poor implementation for multitasking and the device is capable of a much more beautiful interface. In fact, jailbreaking has brought a lot
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 767 Posts

Default Upcoming Tweak 'Dash' is an Eye-candy Multitasking Interface for iOS

Most people will agree that iOS has a poor implementation for multitasking and the device is capable of a much more beautiful interface. In fact, jailbreaking has brought a lot of popular alternatives like multifl0w and Cardswitcher. Joining the competition in the very near future is a new jailbreak tweak dubbed Dash by iOS development team SBCoders. Shown above, you can see just how professionally done the interface looks.

It includes the famous linen wallpaper, which looks great and feels native. In addition, it comes with a nice close button for exiting the Dash interface, an indicator that shows the application name, an application icon pertaining to the application window you’re viewing, and page dots to indicate how many applications are open in the background. The applications that are running in the background show their last screen image before being suspended in the memory and the user can swipe left and right to move between applications and tap on the screenshots to re-open the application where it left off. You can swipe up on one of the open applications to close it.

Apart from just looking good, it reacts to your finger nicely too, with multiple animations to choose from. In its current beta state, there are five animations to choose from, but it’s a safe bet that more animations will be added in the future. These animations are selected from the preferences pane that can be found in the Settings application after installing – shown below:

The animations you can choose from include:
    • Scroll (default)
    • Cover Flow
    • Time Machine
    • Rotary
    • Cylinder

The other option you will have to configure from the preferences pane of the tweak is the Activator action you want to use to open Dash. Some people are going to want to set it to the double-press home button options so it overwrites Apple’s multitasking App Switcher, however you can set it anything you’d like to use. Once you’ve set your activator action, invoke it and an animation will occur: when on the home screen, the home screen will move up the screen just like Notification Center would if you were dismissing it. When in an application, the application frames itself into Dash’s interface.

When you have no applications running in the background, Dash looks like this:

Professionally done, graphically refined, and wonderfully implemented, Dash will be an awesome new multitasking tweak when it’s released some time next week! Keep your eyes peeled; we will be sure to keep you updated upon its arrival.

Sources: SBCoders
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 08-17-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm insanely excited for this

Thanks
    Thanked 2,073 Times in 934 Posts

Awwww...
    The good old days of ProSwitcher & Multifl0w before multitasking on iOS. This revamped version might be something to check out!

iPhone? More like MyPhone regkilla's Avatar
    Thanks

Sweet!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Prolly cost $5

Thanks

Now that looks good. Your article doesn't say if it's a free app or a paid for app , but either way I'll give it a shot. I detest the Apple version, it's clunky and non-intuitive. This seems like a very classy alternative. Any idea of a time frame?

And of course, will it work with OS 6, which is just around the corner?

Thanks

Now this is what I'm talking about give us a heads up before tweaks come out instead of making an article after the tweak is already in cydia. But as for this tweak I'll definitely be buying it cause with this much work into it forsure $2 but even though it looks well worth it, I always like new tweaks! Keep it up devs!
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

iPhone? More like MyPhone mallenass's Avatar
    Thanks

how do you invoke the application??? with the same double home button tap? if so. does this tweak automagically disables the iOS native multitasking, or must one disable it manually?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,182 Times in 1,664 Posts

Does this display apps that don't run in the BG? I'd like something to replace the native switcher, but i kinda use the switcher to switch between my current app, and the last used. Multiflow doesn't show apps that don't cache on close (well not that I can see)

Quote Originally Posted by mallenass View Post
    how do you invoke the application??? with the same double home button tap? if so. does this tweak automagically disables the iOS native multitasking, or must one disable it manually?
    If that's what you assign to it through activator, then yes, it will disable native multitasking. If you need option, you could assign "swipe up from bottom of screen" to the default switcher.
    Last edited by Sk37cH; 08-18-2012 at 01:42 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Ahh ProSwitcher lives on!

It includes the famous linen wallpaper, which looks great and feels native.
    Urghhh linen...

iPhone? More like MyPhone Spiteful's Avatar
    Thanks

So this will propably not play nice with Zephyr?

My iPhone is a Part of Me radioBirdman's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spiteful View Post
    Multifl0w plays just fine with Zephyr so I don't know why this wouldn't.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mallenass View Post
    With Activator.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiteful View Post
    It will be invoked with Activator, so having Zephyr on your device after installing Dash might not even be necessary anymore unless you dig the Notification Center animation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Bouchard View Post
    With Activator.

It will be invoked with Activator, so having Zephyr on your device after installing Dash might not even be necessary anymore unless you dig the Notification Center animation.
    +1
    Zephyr won't be needed anymore...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ayeyobro View Post
    I'm insanely excited for this
    Am I the only who is happy with The default app switcher interface, at least with zephyr?

My issue with this tweak is that it only seems to display one application on the screen at one time and you have to swipe to switch to a different application. Zephyr does this already.

If you want to switch to an app that you used 2 apps ago, you have to use one action to activate the interface, and another 2 actions to reach the app you want and then another to activate said app.
    You need less actions with the app switcher.

Correct me if I'm off base here, but I fail to see how this is an improvement over Zephyr plus the default switcher.
    Last edited by rohunb; 08-18-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rohunb View Post
    Am I the only who is happy with The default app switcher interface, at least with zephyr?

My issue with this tweak is that it only seems to display one application on the screen at one time and you have to swipe to switch to a different application. Zephyr does this already.

If you want to switch to an app that you used 2 apps ago, you have to use one action to activate the interface, and another 2 actions to reach the app you want and then another to activate said app.

Correct me if I'm off base here, but I fail to see how this is an improvement over Zephyr plus the default switcher.
    You're looking at it with just a performance/productivity perspective; that's fine and maybe the App Switcher will work out better for your needs. Dash aims to focus more on appearance. Apple users love good looks and it's one of the top selling points of their operating system.

Regardless, it's great to have the choice to switch between the two.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 08-18-2012 at 01:10 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

so this is just like cardswitcher/multiflow with slightly more animation...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goodgod2 View Post
    so this is just like cardswitcher/multiflow with slightly more animation...
    I think so...

Quote Originally Posted by rohunb View Post

I'd actually like to see a 'Cover Flow Switcher' to achieve the aesthetic side of iOS and satisfy seeing multiple running apps. It would appear 'somewhere' over the screen (like an overlay in the middle, bottom or top of the screen) and only show the icons like our current App Switcher. The idea is so simple but I don't think it's been created...
    Last edited by thazsar; 08-18-2012 at 06:18 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me radioBirdman's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    I think so...

I'd actually like to see a 'Cover Flow Switcher' to achieve the aesthetic side of iOS and satisfy seeing multiple running apps. It would appear 'somewhere' over the screen (like an overlay in the middle, bottom or top of the screen) and only show the icons like our current App Switcher. The idea is so simple but I don't think it's been created...

That's a rad idea!

Thanks

Finally...Dash is live!