Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T: FaceTime Over Cellular Will Be for Those on Shared Data Plans Only

Default AT&T: FaceTime Over Cellular Will Be for Those on Shared Data Plans Only

As we now know, iOS 6 finally enables the feature legitimately without needing to jailbreak to use the video-calling feature over a cellular network, be it Edge, 3G, or even 4G. The only actual barrier from being able to do it now, are the carriers themselves. A statement from AT&T today reveals that AT&T will only allow those on shared family plans to use FaceTime over cellular on their iPhones:

Quote Originally Posted by AT&T
    AT&T will offer FaceTime over Cellular as an added benefit of our new Mobile Share data plans, which were created to meet customers’ growing data needs at a great value. With Mobile Share, the more data you use, the more you save. FaceTime will continue to be available over Wi-Fi for all our customers.
    The news is a lot better than we had expected. Originally, it was thought that AT&T would be charging people on a monthly basis to use the feature, which would have been a complete load of baloney since the feature is niche for most and it would hardly be used let alone worth a monthly payment. The good news is, those on shared family plans with AT&T won't have to pay even one cent extra to use the FaceTime over cellular capability.

The bad news on the other hand, is that individuals with their own non-family plan cellular plans with AT&T will not be able to use the feature whatsoever under AT&T’s dictating terms, however that's not to say that jailbreak tweaks won’t fix this. Although AT&T will be limiting FaceTime over cellular to their family plan subscribers, users still have the ability to use the feature from their home Wi-Fi networks and over public Wi-Fi networks wherever available as carrier have no control over what is done from the user's own internet access. Users can also tether to other phones as hotspots and use the feature.

Sprint and Verizon both will not limit their iPhone’s ability to support FaceTime over cellular networks as AT&T plans to do. For most people, since FaceTime is not a necessary function of having a phone, the announcement won’t impede people’s abilities to use their iPhones. That being said, FaceTime over cellular probably isn’t something important enough that people are going to leave AT&T and hop over to another company for.

Sources: MacRumors
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 08-17-2012 at 04:33 PM.

I'm on a family plan. Did they say limiting? What does that mean? This sucks. Way to go AT&T. Isn't shared plans new? So wouldn't the 90% of people that aren't on shared plans not be able to use this?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

HAHA! I'm a fan of the pic for this article

AT&T is pretty much part of The Empire they're also greedy "A child whose birth lacks legal legitimacy—that is, one born to a woman and a man who are not legally married" you know what word I want to use here!

FaceTime over cellular probably isn’t something important enough that people are going to leave AT&T and hop over to another company for.
    While I read new everyday on here this is really my first comment.

I do plan on leaving AT&T. I have been with them for over 10 years and oner the last few since the iPhone came out. They have been going down hill in my book. Restriction after restriction. It's my data plan. I should be able to do what I want when I want. If I pay for 2GB I should be able to use face time or teather as I want. When my data is all used up then you can charge me if I go over. But to restrict me and say what I can and cat use my data for is BS.

If Internet companies did the same this saying if you want VoIP you need a separate plan or pay extra fees people would leave there Internet provider. Well that's basically what AT&T does.

My plan is to switch to Sprint. Yes they might not have the best coverage. But I don't travel much and work from home. And with 3 lines with AT&T I will save about $50+ per month switching and get this. Unlimited everything. Not stuped restrictions.

I hope these BS data plans go way one day. But texting fees are still around so I guess not.

-Albert

+1 lmao
    Black iPhone 4 32G jail-broken iOS 5.1 R.P

Lucky for me I'm grandfathered in with unlimited but still a family plan will have restrictions?

Ok, guys look at other carriers besides the big 3, many even will work with locked phones. For example Straight Talk has unlimited EVERYTHING for $45 and none of these stupid restrictions and they let you bring even a locked iPhone over.

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

Yet another fail from AT&T.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
    Ok, guys look at other carriers besides the big 3, many even will work with locked phones. For example Straight Talk has unlimited EVERYTHING for $45 and none of these stupid restrictions and they let you bring even a locked iPhone over.
    Do these other carriers offer 4G coverage? I have AT&T and am not on a family plan. I have unlimited data and the people at AT&T throttle my data speeds after using 2 or 3 gigs of data. Plus, i get dropped calls all the time. Its ridiculous how much they suck. I plan on leaving AT&T once my contract is up and switching to Verizon or Sprint.
    Last edited by Simon; 08-18-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 723 Posts

Well im grandfathered in for unlimited with ATT, but if they don't have any plans for installing/upgrading to LTE in my town within the next 3-4 months? Looking to goto Verizon then. Pull my 3 lines from ATT and my 10 yrs of loyalty and goto Big Red.

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    Well im grandfathered in for unlimited with ATT, but if they don't have any plans for installing/upgrading to LTE in my town within the next 3-4 months? Looking to goto Verizon then. Pull my 3 lines from ATT and my 10 yrs of loyalty and goto Big Red.
    Amen brother. Never had any other carriers but well see how this goes down

AT&T is trying to get everyone off the unlimited And over to those shared data plans. **** that I'm gonna use it with the help of the jailbreak community to trick the 3G into thinking its wifi lol

I'm on a family plan with unlimited data. Does this mean we'll have to change our plan in order to get this feature.
    I'm just trying to get this clarified, thanks for any replies.

Next month the iPhone 5 will support 4G LTE. Under AT&T you will have to give up your unlimited 3G data if you want to upgrade to 4G LTE since AT&T will not be offering unlimited 4G data speeds. So your grandfathered unlimited data means nothing, unless you're not planning to move up.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Lucky for me I'm grandfathered in with unlimited but still a family plan will have restrictions?
    Grandfathered with an "unlimited" (which is actually now a 3 Gb plan) means you will NOT be able to use FaceTime over AT&T's cellular network.
    AT&T are opening up FaceTime only to those who switch to the new shared data plans. AT&T and their shareholders would really like you to switch from your old unlimited plan to a shiny new, more profitable (for them) data plan.

This is yet another stupid policy from the company I hate most in the world. Doesn't AT&T understand that video chat is available to anybody using 3rd party applications like Skype? How dumb does AT&T think we are by saying "FaceTime is available to all of our customers today over Wi-Fi". Thank you so much Randall Stephenson for not limiting how much of my own home internet data I can use via WiFi on my non-AT&T (factory unlocked, direct from Apple) iPhone.

The FCC may yet have something to say here as this AT&T's policy seems to violate the FCC's Open Internet rules.

I've been with AT&T for 7 years, owning 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S and I will be getting rid of them in October. I have 4 lines, their loss. I'm grandfathered into unlimited data now they are trying to push us unlimited users into different plans.
    I keep hitting my cap and when I do my speed is so slow I can't even update an app! I've had their blackberry service and unlimited data/texts before the iPhone as well. They told me I would have to switch to a tiered plan and pay for overages if I don't want to be throttled.

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Next month the iPhone 5 will support 4G LTE. Under AT&T you will have to give up your unlimited 3G data if you want to upgrade to 4G LTE since AT&T will not be offering unlimited 4G data speeds. So your grandfathered unlimited data means nothing, unless you're not planning to move up.

unless they just change it for the iphone... (which is possible) this is not true. I just recently jumped ship (after having an iphone from the start) to an S3 and got unlimited 4g, This is how my bill reads

Service from 06/27/12 through 07/26/12
    1. One Time Charge for Upgrade 36.00
    Partial monthly charge for LTE UNL SMT
    2. VVMT from 07/04/12 to 07/26/12 23.00
    Adj - Monthly Charge for DATA PLAN
    3. IPHONE from 07/05/12 to 07/26/12

How can we get around it and still keep our unlimited?

With the FCC recently telling Verizon that they can't charge iPhone users for tethering because it's a feature of the phone, I see this FaceTime over cellular problem going away soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast