Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T: FaceTime Over Cellular Will Be for Those on Shared Data Plans Only

iPhone? More like MyPhone rockyseay's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hogcia View Post
    Next month the iPhone 5 will support 4G LTE. Under AT&T you will have to give up your unlimited 3G data if you want to upgrade to 4G LTE since AT&T will not be offering unlimited 4G data speeds. So your grandfathered unlimited data means nothing, unless you're not planning to move up.
    You can just buy the phone outright and still be grandfathered in.

That's what I'm planning to do buy my phone outright. Also **** FaceTime we can use the many other apps for video calling

Ya know these companies will have to give in soon. People now a days and times these days. We're using triple the amount of data we use every couple years. I mean c'mon

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 749 Posts

Well unless they have us upgrade our data plans to whatever? When i got the 4S they moved my unlimited data from 3G to 4G unlimited data.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverado1987 View Post
    Ya know these companies will have to give in soon. People now a days and times these days. We're using triple the amount of data we use every couple years. I mean c'mon
    Hence the reason why it's going to be free voice and texting with data plan in the near future. They will charge you out the azz for data.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Razorinthe60s's Avatar
    Thanks

Just another method AT&T getting people to drop their grandfather unlimited data plan.
    Don't allow others to tell you What you Can and What you can't Do. Live that's your only option.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iM1sf1t View Post
    With the FCC recently telling Verizon that they can't charge iPhone users for tethering because it's a feature of the phone, I see this FaceTime over cellular problem going away soon.
    Not necessarily.

The VZW issue you refer to had direct conflicts with the FCC requirements put *on Verizon only* when VZW got their 700 MHz block for LTE. No other carriers have this, including at&t.
    Do more than likely it will stick for a bit unless a lawsuit gets made against this by enough people.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 08-17-2012 at 10:35 PM.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave

Next month the iPhone 5 will support 4G LTE. Under AT&T you will have to give up your unlimited 3G data if you want to upgrade to 4G LTE since AT&T will not be offering unlimited 4G data speeds. So your grandfathered unlimited data means nothing, unless you're not planning to move up.
    Wrong. AT&T has not forced anyone off of their unlimited plan. Even when upgrading to an LTE phone like the ONE X or Galaxy S III. They have not made any announcement that you will lose your unlimited data if you upgrade to the new iPhone and there is no reason to think that they will start now. I love how all of you assume the worst when these shared plans are as good if not better than Verizon's and you will have the option to keep what you have or switch to the shared plan. And unlike VZW if you don't like the shared plan you can switch back to a family plan.

I agree that FaceTime should work over 3G/4G no matter what plan you are on. That said, how often does anyone really use FaceTime. I've had the ability for almost 2 years now and I've probably used it 3 times. If it is an issue for anyone then use Skype, Tango, or ooVoo, or any of the other 500 video chat options out there that work over the data network.

Quote Originally Posted by Sfarijo View Post
    How can we get around it and still keep our unlimited?
    USE SKYPE! It's exactly the same except you can video chat with ANYONE no matter what kind of device or computer they have.

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoUniversity View Post
    You can just buy the phone outright and still be grandfathered in.
    This is wrong! You can sign the contract and get the same discount and keep your unlimited plan.
    If you like what you have then you can keep it. If you want to video call use Skype or Tango. Then the other party doesn't have to have an apple product.

If you have an unlimited plan and want a new phone then you can keep what you have and still get the discount. That's how it has been since the unlimited plan went away. They are not forcing anybody anywhere.
    Last edited by Simon; 08-18-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

I use to have At&t and I left them for Verizon... I really hate Verizon, once I complete 6 months to avoid the equipment fee I will be leaving Verizon to go back to At&t. The Funny thing is I only dropped 1 call on at&t in 4 years and had service everywhere I went. Then I switch to Verizon and I have dropped 10 calls in 3 1/2 months and get no service at college where I need it most.

I work for Verizon too..

Why the big deal like there isn't jailbreaking? Or how about tweaks like my3G? Plus with yahoo video chat you can do it over 3G same with Skype or other unpopular apps. I hope FaceTime will soon be a feature just like making a regular phone call cause with very phone coming out they all have front facing camera, let's move into the future already and leave phone calls behind , and adapt video calling!
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

Green Apple
    Thanks

I just have to laugh at this article because I use 3G Unrestricted, and I am currently able to FaceTime on 3G.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dannyrocket's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaisei View Post
    I just have to laugh at this article because I use 3G Unrestricted, and I am currently able to FaceTime on 3G.
    +1

Everyone*still on "unlimited" data plans needs to check their data on the first day of their billing cycle*especially*if you were throttled the previous billing cycle. A month ago AT&T carried over 1.5GB to my new billing cycle. Not only was that data used on a previous billing cycle, it was at throttled speeds??? I spent well over 10hrs. on the phone with them but they did nothing & claimed that data usage may take up to 60 days to get reported. This of course is an irrelevant argument (what matters is when it was used). They admitted fault but did nothing. This month they did it again. It was much less data but it was data from the previous cycle, & once again, this was data at throttled speeds being added to my new 3GB allowance before getting throttled for this cycle. I've contacted the[1]*Better business bureau*(https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complai...get-started)*& the*[2]*FCC*(https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/f..._type=2000B)*& currently have claims pending with them both. I encourage everyone to do the same. Here is the address for the*[3]*FTC*(https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/).
    Edit: Here is the website so you can*[4]*contact your states attorney general*(http://www.consumerfraudreporting.or...allist.php)*to also file a complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Sfarijo View Post
    How can we get around it and still keep our unlimited?
    Jailbreak software, or third party video calling alternatives.

I just upgraded the 3G unrestrictor so I'm ready and that's only useful for when ios6 is jailbroken

k guys if you dont understand only people who share data plans will get to use the feature. not anyone like me or half the users on here you cant use facetime on cellular even if you have unlimited data.

however 3g unrestrictor ftw

Thanks

To me this is All MOOT. I live in Alaska and since it's HIGHLY doubtful i'll even SEE 4G b4 the end of the year. BUT..I've been grandfathered into my Data plan and have NO desire to change it..iPhone6 or OTHER....& since most people hardly use face-time instead of Wi-fi using it. I Wonder how many people will adopt this.

My iPhone is a Part of Me lillewis51's Avatar
    Thanks

this sucks im grandfathered in to an unlimited plan...

oh wait... im jailbroken and ive had facetime over 3g for over a year... hahahahaha sorry AT&T you FAIL!

if this is the case I'm gonna lawyer up and i will destroy them in court. just because they F'ed up and became greedy bass-tards dosent mean they can rewrite my contract. hello new iphone and 100 ft yacht
    Last edited by lillewis51; 08-19-2012 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lillewis51 View Post
    this sucks im grandfathered in to an unlimited plan...

oh wait... im jailbroken and ive had facetime over 3g for over a year... hahahahaha sorry AT&T you FAIL!

if this is the case I'm gonna lawyer up and i will destroy them in court. just because they F'ed up and became greedy bass-tards dosent mean they can rewrite my contract. hello new iphone and 100 ft yacht
    If this is the case. They have the right. It's not our fault there kinda smart. Plus it's a huge company against you. If anything you'll settle or they'll drag it out long enough until you go away.

I too am a unlimited grandfathered plan do I do feel your pain. But well see what happens. Maybe it will be like the bank of America thing where everyone will drop off for charging $5 a swipe your debit card.

Default Don't post opinion as fact
    This is not true! Where are you getting this info? AT&T hasn't said anything about anyone losing their unlimited plans. Several people have upgraded to LTE devices and they have not been asked to give up their unlimited plan and there is no reason to think that will change with the new iPhone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast