+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung Believes Apple Owes $422 Million in Royalties

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    Thanks

Default Samsung Believes Apple Owes $422 Million in Royalties

Samsung recently rested its case in the Apple vs. Samsung trial concluding its phase of the trial with a pair of expert witnesses who believe Apple could owe $421.8 million in royalties over five patents owned by the South Korean company.

The first witness called to the stand was expert Vincent O’Brien, who testified that his calculations show Apple owes the Galaxy maker $22.8 million based on three patent infringement claims according to Bloomberg. The patents in question were presented on Tuesday and cover mobile device usability features regarding photos, email attachments and playing music in the background. The $22.8 million figure was arrived at by estimating reasonable royalty rates based in part on previous Apple payouts. The South Korean company can’t claim its lost sales to the alleged infringement so royalties are the only avenue of calculating damages.

The second witness, who followed O’Brien’s testimony, was University of California, Berkeley professor David Teece. While on the stand, Teece said Apple’s alleged infringement of two separate Samsung patents relating to standards-essential UMTS patents could bring damages in the range of $290 million to $399 million. Royalty rates were calculated as 2% and 2.75% though how Samsung arrived at those numbers was unclear. In his cross-examination, Teece was presented with a letter from Samsung dated July 25, 2011 where the company proposed Apple pay a 2.4% royalty rate to license technology from any of 86 patents. Since the patents in question are deemed standards-essential, they should be licensed under fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory (FRAND) terms, but the 2.4% rate was never before levied to a licensee.

Samsung noted that it offered a fair and reasonable rate to “virtually every major player in the mobile phone industry,” but Apple rejected the terms and “to this day has not paid Samsung a dime for Apple’s use of Samsung’s standards-essential technology.” Apple claimed that the proposed royalty rate was “unfair, unreasonable, and discriminatory” in a pre-trial filing.

The Apple vs. Samsung trial continues with testimony from Apple witnesses intended to rebut the arguments that Samsung has asserted over the past week.

Source: Bloomberg

Twitter: @AkshayMasand

iPhone? More like MyPhone soidroidios's Avatar
    Thanks

They will be in deeper trouble if Apple wins. They get to charge billions instead. Good luck to the loser of this case

Banned
    Thanks

but Apple rejected the terms and “to this day has not paid Samsung a dime for Apple’s use of Samsung’s standards-essential technology.”
    See, Apple have never played nice where Samsung have tried. Apple is just a big bully in the phone industry.

I really hope the judge throws the book at Apple and makes them pay for their stupidity.

My iPhone is a Part of Me primalscream.40's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NakedFaerie View Post
    See, Apple have never played nice where Samsung have tried. Apple is just a big bully in the phone industry.

I really hope the judge throws the book at Apple and makes them pay for their stupidity.
    Then it will be charged back to the end user of all Apple products

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,592 Times in 660 Posts

From the last couple of paragraphs? Yes Samsung made a offer, but sounds like they wanted more that what was fair, Apple saw the patents being under the "FRAND" Lic fee, but Samsung wanted more. Almost sounds like Samsung was maybe getting greedy and Apple said no were not paying that. Its should be under FRAND. That's about what it sounds like to me.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Just give Apple the win already, its obvious Samsung copied them. End it already!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carvensno View Post
    From the last couple of paragraphs? Yes Samsung made a offer, but sounds like they wanted more that what was fair, Apple saw the patents being under the "FRAND" Lic fee, but Samsung wanted more. Almost sounds like Samsung was maybe getting greedy and Apple said no were not paying that. Its should be under FRAND. That's about what it sounds like to me.
    To me it sounds like everyone else paid but Apple didn't want to. They are the ones not playing fair.
    Samsung noted that it offered a fair and reasonable rate to “virtually every major player in the mobile phone industry,” but Apple rejected the terms and “to this day has not paid Samsung a dime for Apple’s use of Samsung’s standards-essential technology.”

Livin the iPhone Life Carvensno's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,592 Times in 660 Posts

To me it sounds like everyone else paid but Apple didn't want to. They are the ones not playing fair.
    And how do you know that everyone else paid? So your telling me if i had a POS 76 Pinto and i wanted you to pay 4k for it you would? Because i think its a fair price? LMFAO :P

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Ummm... Did you miss the part where it said the 2.4% was never levied against against licensees?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yeah, keep dreaming

iPhone? More like MyPhone Airwaves182's Avatar
    Thanks

When did apple turn Jewish?

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Without Apple, Samsuck is nothing!
    The quicker Apple move away from components Samsuck make, the quicker Samsuck can disappear. Without Apple's iPhone, Samsuck wouldn't have anyone to copy and wouldn't be dominating the Android market. I find it funny how Samsuck's devices are very similar to Apple's iDevices and they have huge a base in the Android market.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves182 View Post
    When did apple turn Jewish?

lol +1 & Like
    No signature links or spam... only warning

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Should be interesting to find what rate samsung charged other FRAND lisencees

Thanks

No, Samsung never charged any other licensee a 2.4% fee, hence Apple's unfair, unreasonable and discriminatory claim.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    Without Apple, Samsuck is nothing!
    The quicker Apple move away from components Samsuck make, the quicker Samsuck can disappear. Without Apple's iPhone, Samsuck wouldn't have anyone to copy and wouldn't be dominating the Android market. I find it funny how Samsuck's devices are very similar to Apple's iDevices and they have huge a base in the Android market.
    Lmfao I was dying every time I saw Samsuck. Lolol